U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2013, 12:15 AM

1 posts, read 11,620 times
Default 26 and never had a job. Am I in trouble?

So basically I live with my mom and never had a job before. I never did an interview in my life either. I tried filling out applications for fast food places, grocery stores, retail, back in my early 20's but nothing ever came of it. I got depressed and angry with myself that I just let myself become a basement loser for a few years playing video games all night and sleeping all day.

Now, my mom is in financial trouble and has asked me to get a job to help and to contribute to society, but I feel at this point I could be unemployable. What would an employer even say to me if he knows I never had a job at age 26? Would I even have a slight chance of getting an interview?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2013, 12:34 AM

39 posts, read 51,777 times
Default Keep on trying.

All I could tell you is...don't give up.

Keep on applying. You might hear from some employer who is willing to hire someone who has "no experience".

I managed to get some part-time job with some employer who was probably really desperate to hire some people...OK, the pay was close to minimum wage. But, I got the valuable experience. When I applied to other jobs, I had something to put down under "work history"...

Old 02-19-2013, 01:02 AM

47,586 posts, read 32,237,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspis83 View Post
So basically I live with my mom and never had a job before. I never did an interview in my life either. I tried filling out applications for fast food places, grocery stores, retail, back in my early 20's but nothing ever came of it. I got depressed and angry with myself that I just let myself become a basement loser for a few years playing video games all night and sleeping all day.

Now, my mom is in financial trouble and has asked me to get a job to help and to contribute to society, but I feel at this point I could be unemployable. What would an employer even say to me if he knows I never had a job at age 26? Would I even have a slight chance of getting an interview?
First of all I think you have to examine your options.

1. Stay unemployed and a basement loser and play video games all day and let your mom go under and don't worry about anything. In no time you can be saying you're 29 or 34 or 36 and never been employed.

2. Get a job and start doing something with your life.

If you don't see #1 as an acceptable option, then you have to go with #2. Since filling out applications hasn't worked yet for you, you need a new approach. Since you have no job history, you'll have to start at the bottom most likely. Don't just fill out applications, make more of an effort, go into a restaurant and ask to speak to the manager and ask if they are hiring busers or dishwashers or if they will be hiring and tell them you've filled out an application. Or do this at a store or anywhere you are filling applications. Make sure you present yourself well.

Or look around at other kinds of work you haven't considered before. Lawn mowing, yard clean up, housecleaning, car washes -- there are jobs that don't require much experience of any kind. 26 isn't too late but it's getting closer to the point where it could be too late.

Old 02-19-2013, 01:27 AM

2,116 posts, read 1,260,713 times
I don't understand how someone can't have a job by 26 years old. Your just didn't try that hard when you were younger and gave up for awhile and now you actually need a job. What do people do from the age of 18 to 26?

Or your parents thought it was okay to let you live with them and not pay anything even up to the age of 26. They did a HUGE disservice to you. You are way behind. Do as others have said and try to go for the jobs with no experience...mowing lawns, car washes anything at this point.

In 4 years you will be 30 without ever working at a real job in your entire life. Pathetic truthfully if it comes to that.

Old 02-19-2013, 04:07 AM
Status: "A cool and wet summer is my idea of heaven :)" (set 9 days ago)

1,580 posts, read 1,127,031 times
Do you have anything that'd prevent you from joining the military? If not, I'd get my butt down to the recruiting office and sign up, pronto. No experience needed. And when you've got your first tour in, you have the option of staying on in the military, or getting yourself an education with the government's help.

Just a suggestion.

Old 02-19-2013, 04:22 AM

17,899 posts, read 6,224,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspis83 View Post

Just keep doing what you're doing.

Old 02-19-2013, 04:57 AM

13,945 posts, read 11,334,718 times
I am sure that there are some options if you look hard enough. One idea might be to find a job that you can do online over the internet. Another idea would be to look for a job in construction the way undocumented workers do. Also don't you have any friends or acquaintances that can put in a good word for you somewhere to get you some kind of job that doesn't need any prior experience?

Old 02-19-2013, 05:10 AM

4,640 posts, read 2,382,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthStarDelight View Post
Do you have anything that'd prevent you from joining the military? If not, I'd get my butt down to the recruiting office and sign up, pronto. No experience needed. And when you've got your first tour in, you have the option of staying on in the military, or getting yourself an education with the government's help.

Just a suggestion.
That's what I did . Seriously, other than babysitting jobs, I had a couple offers for part-time but parents wanted me to concentrate on school. So out of high school into college and looking around even tried a local temp agency and get this, they wanted me to have prior experience! A temp agency. So, I said heck with that and joined the Navy. My Mom was seriously bummed out. It worked out alright. No worse for wear. Ended up getting a federal job and 31 years away, now looking forward to retirement.

Old 02-19-2013, 05:17 AM

1,239 posts, read 2,127,217 times
Are you any good at video games? Maybe you could enter those gaming tournaments. The military sounds like a wicked awesome option as well.

Old 02-19-2013, 05:20 AM

4,158 posts, read 2,322,770 times
I'm 26 and I've had a job since I was 15. So no, I cant comprehend how this could happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment