Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2013, 10:52 PM

884 posts, read 1,171,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsguy2001 View Post
So doesn't that mean it was to my advantage to tell my boss that it was for pre-Cana, and not for a recreational activity that (at least in their opinion) I should be willing to drop at a moment's notice? How could telling them it was for pre-Cana work against me?

My intention was so that my boss knew it was for a once in a lifetime event that could not be rescheduled at that point. Whether or not it was religious wasn't the point I was trying to make. I also wanted him to know that my refusal to work overtime was due to a one-time occurrence that would not be repeated, and it was not a blanket refusal to work any overtime.

What is wrong with that? As long as others are allowed similar accommodations for their holidays.

What bothers me is when there are double standards as to which religions are accommodated. I know someone who is Catholic, and was working a Mon-Fri job. He was told that he would be fired on the spot if he did not work overtime on Easter. For those who don't know, Easter is the most important holiday of the year for Catholics, and it always falls on a Sunday (usually a non-work day at a Mon-Fri job). On the other hand, a Jewish employee who requests a day off on Yom Kippur would almost always be accommodated. For those who don't know, Yom Kippur is the most important Jewish holiday of the year, and it can fall on most days of the week, so it falls on a weekday most years.
It seems like you are arguing with Ultrarunner, and I can't figure out why, because he (or she) is just making comments rather than blaming you for something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2013, 10:59 PM

6,985 posts, read 7,045,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy carrie View Post
It seems like you are arguing with Ultrarunner, and I can't figure out why, because he (or she) is just making comments rather than blaming you for something.
Ultrarunner first said that I was wrong to have told my employer in 2010 that the reason why I couldn't work overtime on the particular weekend I was asked to (at 4:45 Friday) was because of pre-Cana. He then contradicted himself, saying that because it was a religious activity, it put me in a protected class due to freedom of religion. I asked him why I should not have told my employer the reason, even though the reason worked to my advantage. He then starts making sarcastic comments about lawyers and lawsuits. I'm more confused by his posts, rather than wanting to argue with them.

Also, he seems to have a problem with a bank making religious accommodations for Muslim employees. I then said that the bank did the right thing, as long as it makes similar accommodations for other religions. And I then said that a pet peeve of mine (not attacking Ultrarunner, just making a general comment about our society) is double standards as to what religions are accommodating, and then gave a specific example about how employers typically accommodate Yom Kippur (even though it usually falls on a workday) but refuse to accommodate Easter (even though it never falls on a workday at a Mon-Fri job, and is presumably easier to accommodate).

Old 02-27-2013, 11:39 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,659,938 times
I just reviewed all 132 posts... couldn't find anything I said about not telling your boss the reason you were unavailable...

It didn't sound like something I would say... double checked to make sure.

If anything, I am more or an open book and I would have outlined the situation in detail... that way, it can't be said later that the boss didn't understand the entire situation... like when I was 6 to 7 hours away at Tahoe and called to come in... I matter of factly said exactly how long it would be for me to come in...

Never mentioned anything specific about suing... to me, a lawsuit is the last and very expensive option for most... I did give an opinion a lawyer could have some real fun... maybe not a good choice of words... better to say a lawyer could introduce the theory your freedom of religious expression was being impeded by your employer... and then I gave examples where employers became accommodating when religion was brought into the mix...

Old 02-27-2013, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
I just reviewed all 132 posts... couldn't find anything I said about not telling your boss the reason you were unavailable...

It didn't sound like something I would say... double checked to make sure.

If anything, I am more or an open book and I would have outlined the situation in detail... that way, it can't be said later that the boss didn't understand the entire situation... like when I was 6 to 7 hours away at Tahoe and called to come in... I matter of factly said exactly how long it would be for me to come in...

Never mentioned anything specific about suing... to me, a lawsuit is the last and very expensive option for most... I did give an opinion a lawyer could have some real fun... maybe not a good choice of words... better to say a lawyer could introduce the theory your freedom of religious expression was being impeded by your employer... and then I gave examples where employers became accommodating when religion was brought into the mix...
I am sorry; it was yayoi who said that I should not have told my boss that I had to go to pre-Cana. I don't know why I thought it was you. I apologize for that.

Old 02-27-2013, 11:51 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,659,938 times
Quote:
I am sorry; it was yayoi who said that I should not have told my boss that I had to go to pre-Cana. I don't know why I thought it was you. I apologize for that.
It is a difficult position to be in especially when you have a spouse and/or family commitments...

The only bright side is most situations are dynamic... in a constant state of flux.

On the week a very good friend was going to turn in her letter of resignation... the boss from heck was terminated and her boss two levels up asked for input on improving the department...

Some of her ideas were adopted and over the last few years she has really come to like working there...

Don't know if she ever told anyone at work she had planned to quit...

Old 02-28-2013, 06:43 AM

3,860 posts, read 8,451,439 times
Quote:
No I didn't. I told you what I would've done in your situation not what you should have done.

Old 02-28-2013, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yayoi View Post
No I didn't. I told you what I would've done in your situation not what you should have done.
Isn't that basically the same thing?

Old 02-28-2013, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Isn't that basically the same thing?
No.

Old 02-28-2013, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yayoi View Post
No.
How is it different?

Old 02-28-2013, 07:33 AM

Quote:
How is it different?
Seriously???

Just because I'm telling what I would've done doesn't mean I'm telling you what to do. It only means that I'm giving my perspective on the situation. Nothing more nothing less.

I'm sorry I even responded to your question.

Go on have the last word.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment