Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2013, 06:53 PM

1,122 posts, read 3,504,336 times

Advertisements

My point is; should it be legal for employers to require employers to come in any time? Shouldn't employees have a legal right to choose whether or not they want to work on days they are not scheduled to work? In other countries employers couldn't do what Mike's employer did. Employees actually have rights, not just employers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2013, 07:02 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,962,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizita View Post
My point is; should it be legal for employers to require employers to come in any time?.
Yes. People call in sick. Unless you wish to make not working all your scheduled time a crime for an employee, one cannot expect legal consequences for employers calling one in on a day scheduled off.

Old 02-24-2013, 08:17 PM

3,082 posts, read 5,436,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
Yes. People call in sick. Unless you wish to make not working all your scheduled time a crime for an employee, one cannot expect legal consequences for employers calling one in on a day scheduled off.
I, too, agree. However the employer wants to handle it is their business. We can only hope that such crappy managers or employers with bad policies do not retain good workers or do not last long.

Old 02-24-2013, 08:27 PM

1,122 posts, read 3,504,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
I can't believe nobody gets my point. I guess worker rights is such a foreign concept in the US. My point is that workers should be allowed to refuse to work when not scheduled without risk of losing ones job. Nobody is talking about crimes or legal consequences.

Fact is employers and employees are not equal and should not be treated as such legally. The rest of the western world understands that. Why don't Americans?

Old 02-24-2013, 09:00 PM

21,835 posts, read 25,102,289 times
Just because everyone doesn't agree with you doesn't mean we don't get your point. I get your point fine; I just disagree. Why does everyone have to agree with you all the time? Considering the EU's unemployment rate is 10.7% and climbing while ours is 7.8% and falling, maybe we don't blindly accept that "because Europe does it" means it's a good thing. Less hand-wringing and acted put upon because we don't agree with you and more arguing your point might be in order.

Old 02-24-2013, 09:23 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,743,416 times
Quote:
Why don't Americans?
Because so many are servile lickspittles who like to talk tough and despise the powerless but then grovel when confronted by those with power over them.

Old 02-24-2013, 09:52 PM

6,985 posts, read 7,040,555 times
Quote:
I can't believe nobody gets my point. I guess worker rights is such a foreign concept in the US. My point is that workers should be allowed to refuse to work when not scheduled without risk of losing ones job. Nobody is talking about crimes or legal consequences.

Fact is employers and employees are not equal and should not be treated as such legally. The rest of the western world understands that. Why don't Americans?
Beleive me, I agree with you 100%. It's too bad that the law and most employers don't agree with us.

I was in a situation back in 2010. I was engaged at the time, and my fiance (now wife) and I were in a long distance relationship. The Catholic church requires all engaged couples to take a marraige preparation program called pre-Cana. Given that we were at the time in a long distance relationship, and that the workload at my job that year was very extreme (lots of overtime), I signed up for pre-Cana over a weekend. It met 2 full days, Saturday and Sunday, no weekdays involved. We had to sign up for it many months in advance (in fact, we got the last 2 seats at that session). My job is normally Mon-Fri, but we often have to work overtime.

At 4:45 PM on the Friday before pre-Cana, while my fiance was already en-route to where I live, I was asked to work over the weekend. Keep in mind that I had already been working a lot of overtime during the week. I politely explained that I could not work this weekend, because of pre-Cana. If we did not attend pre-Cana, the Church would not have allowed us to get married. It was also too late to cancel this session and sign up for another session, and, as I said, my fiance was already en-route. I did work a lot more overtime, including other weekends, over the next several weeks, and I was sometimes in the office past midnight! I just didn't work that one weekend when I had pre-cana.

I was, of course, bashed by my boss for "not working enough overtime" and "not being willing to make sacrifices", and "not being a team player". This incident was in 2010; it was brought up again at my evaluation in 2012! He claimed that I was "unwilling to work overtime". Obviously he was referring to that incident, since that was the only time ever that I was asked to work overtime but refused to do so.

I tried suggesting that we have a calendar where people can post commitments outside of work hours, on evenings, weekends, and holidays. That way, they can plan around them. They would have seen, months in advance (long before I was even assigned to the project that required all of the overtime) that I signed up for pre-Cana that weekend. They could have asked me, in advance (not 4:45 Friday!) that I may be needed to work overtime that weekend, and ask if I'd be able to switch pre-Cana to a different weekend. Failing that, they could have assigned somebody else (who was available) that weekend, and assigned me to a project that required a similar amount of overtime during a different time of year. Of course, my boss rejected that idea, saying it "can't be done", and that I "need to be willing to make sacrifices, no matter what I have planned that weekend".

Old 02-24-2013, 10:13 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,962,294 times
Quote:
Fact is employers and employees are not equal and should not be treated as such legally.
Employment at will makes them equal. I've quit jobs when employers tried hard to get me to change my mind. They failed; I walked.

Old 02-24-2013, 10:16 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,122,956 times
Quote:

Like the other poster said... we get your point... we just don't agree.

SOME jobs allow you to keep to a steady schedule. (Teaching for instance... you may need to be there early... but you know when it starts EVERY DAY OF THE YEAR.)

You are forgetting that that BUSINESS has to succeed... or else the EMPLOYEE WON't BE EMPLOYED!

You do you wish to make it so businesses fail?

Old 02-24-2013, 10:28 PM

491 posts, read 748,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
Like the other poster said... we get your point... we just don't agree.

SOME jobs allow you to keep to a steady schedule. (Teaching for instance... you may need to be there early... but you know when it starts EVERY DAY OF THE YEAR.)

You are forgetting that that BUSINESS has to succeed... or else the EMPLOYEE WON't BE EMPLOYED!

You do you wish to make it so businesses fail?
I doubt not working one day will make a business fail if so then the business was doomed anyway. Why would you be fired for not coming in when you are not scheduled? I do not understand that logic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment