U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2013, 06:01 PM

2,136 posts, read 1,280,623 times
Default Average time from in-person interview to notification

I saw an interesting thread about companies that don't respond at all to people they interview. I was just curious as to what peoples' experiences have been in terms of how long (if at all) it has taken organizations to contact the interviewee regarding the outcome of the interview.

For my last two interviews, I was never contacted at all. For the previous two before that (for which I got offers) I received offers the same day as the last interview.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2013, 06:21 PM

565 posts, read 572,880 times
depends on company it can be 1 day to few weeks.

if you want the average then because 2 weeks?

Old 02-26-2013, 08:55 PM

13,653 posts, read 15,649,832 times
We are at a week to 10 days on average. After the selection HR does the background check and verification of references and education. That takes a few days but we want to make the offer before the selected candidate finds something else.

Old 02-26-2013, 09:56 PM

5,892 posts, read 3,917,035 times
It depends, a professional job requires 3 interviews, and it may take them a time for them to interview all candidates. Walmart they should tell you the same day no?

Old 02-26-2013, 10:19 PM

2,600 posts, read 1,679,964 times
In my last job hunt, it was about a week. This is for an office professional job. It may be different out in the field like retail store or bar.

Old 02-26-2013, 10:26 PM
FBJ

32,857 posts, read 22,211,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
I saw an interesting thread about companies that don't respond at all to people they interview. I was just curious as to what peoples' experiences have been in terms of how long (if at all) it has taken organizations to contact the interviewee regarding the outcome of the interview.

For my last two interviews, I was never contacted at all. For the previous two before that (for which I got offers) I received offers the same day as the last interview.

Well the job that I was hired for was a government job so I can't use that example because the whole process was 5 months.

The time that I was hired by a job in the private sector I was contacted a week after the interviewed.

Then there were times that I never heard anything back from a company after a interview

Old 02-26-2013, 10:41 PM

400 posts, read 449,390 times
depends on the company. u should continue interviewing and applying until you receive an official offer. for corporate positions - within 48 hours of final interview if you are the chosen candidate is what many HR departments go by. if it will be more than 48 hours and you are a top candidate they will keep you informed. if you are not kept informed you are not a top candidate. doesn't mean you wont get the job you're just not an ideal choice. a lot of folks like to give companies the "they're busy with so many things" or "its taking weeks to decide" excuse pass but most managers have made minimally a choice of if you're shortlisted before the interview is over. for panel or series of interviews (superdays) they convine within 24 hours. often times they're sharing opinions while you're still there. but to generalize for some companies with hiring process inefficiencies some will say two weeks. just remember out of sight out of mind. if you haven't heard anything within a week follow up if you're still interested to see if there is a justifiable delay. if you haven't heard anything within two weeks its really time to move on. of course some will say they got jobs months after interviewing... but thats an exception not a rule.

Old 02-27-2013, 12:02 PM

11,397 posts, read 25,413,162 times
It varies tremendously. In an easy situation, an offer can come immediately upon the conclusion of an interview. More prudently, one or two days gives a chance for review. Often though, interviews can be conducted even though there is not a pressing need for a new person on staff. There can be an employee who is struggling or is very weak, but still gets the basics done. When that employee has worn out his welcome, he may still be employed, but the look for replacements is on.

That type of search for employees means that the company will be reserved in how interviews are handled. The applicant will be measured against the existing employee, background checks will likely be done, and eventually a yea or nay decision to hire made. THEN... the company will be looking for the right time to pull the plug on the bad employee. If there is malfeasance or something major has happened, the chop could be immediate. If there is little to hang a termination on, documentation of the problems needs to be brought up to date and some event occur to finish the reasoning.

Sometimes, the interviewee may be made aware of the situation and given a temporary position. Sometimes that is not possible, and the new employee sits at home until the time for him to come on board occurs. A week to ten days is a good general rule of thumb, but sometimes it can be a month or more. On rare occasions, the problem employee can do a turnaround, and the job offer rescinded.

Old 02-27-2013, 12:09 PM

6,691 posts, read 8,665,222 times
Every company is different. I have had same day offers, up to months later due to budget cuts.

Old 02-27-2013, 12:14 PM

2,343 posts, read 1,349,904 times
My current small business job made an offer during the interview and I started the next day.

The corporate america job I left for this one took about a week to make an offer... The majority of that was waiting on a background... Or so they said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment