Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2016, 01:39 PM

23,535 posts, read 24,022,219 times

Advertisements

Life changes a lot along the journey. I was an introvert in college and somewhat shy. I grew out of it in my early 30's and now work in technical sales where I meet people, present in public, etc

Never say never, things can and do change.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2016, 01:40 PM

251 posts, read 203,891 times
I think a bit differently about this.

Almost any career can provide an approach to dealing with social or people-oriented people. What has helped me has been getting into corporate cultures that are very results-oriented, very data-driven. To find places without a big focus on metaphors about "family," or "community" - often a dog-whistle for mediocrity - or a fixation on its beginnings, usually encoded as "culture" - itself a dog-whistle for a strait jacket of behaviors that codify what it means to be "nice."

Some behaviors I have had to change, and I do, and inside a culture that accepts a focus that's more professional than personal, that's not such a hard thing. YMMV.

Old 09-02-2016, 10:21 AM

2 posts, read 1,592 times
Lightbulb 3 Years later...

I hope you haven't given up yet...

I came across this post when I was looking for what other jobs are out there for someone like me who doesn't like dealing with people. I found so many similarities between you and myself. I don't like people, which is something that began very early on in my youth. I was shy, and afraid of most people, and was happy to draw and play video games. Additionally, I was teased in school for being shy, which crushed my self esteem. Although I tried to develop friendships, I discovered that while I helped others to feel better about themselves, and gave so much, I was abandoned when I needed a friend.

Naturally, this has all left me with a dislike of people, and is only amplified by their immediate dislike of me. Without even getting to know me, people turn away from me.
I am currently studying IT Security, and do have the mind and drive for it; however, as you mentioned, not everyone does. Prior to this, I did a lot of data entry, which really made me feel at ease. I never had to deal with people, and I felt content with my work.

My point to all of this is that fields like data entry, transcription, medical coding, medical records, and scanning are all options available that would enable you to work, without having to deal with people very much. Some of these positions like medical coding and transcription can even be done at home.

All the best to you

Last edited by SaffronPhoenix; 09-02-2016 at 10:30 AM..

Old 09-02-2016, 11:01 AM

2 posts, read 1,592 times
Default Data Entry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickchick View Post
Unfortunately many suggestions won't work for me. I'm pretty much an outcast who never fits in so I don't have much of a desire to make friends but at the same time I need to work on a team because I work best being told what to do. I can't lift so can't do machine related work or anything like that. Security is out cuz I'm still pissed off at the law. I still don't drive either. I'm not good with numbers so accountant is out. I am highly uncomfortable with morbid stuff (even the human body makes me disgusted, can barely watch House MD without shielding my eyes) so no jobs like that.
What I really want to do does require me to be super extroverted and that is make music videos for musicians. I think I can do it because I connect with *some* musicians like no one else but I would have to get past people that I wouldn't be connected with first and even then I'd still be reserved and find it hard to start conversations at first. I'd be fine with animals. That's my second choice but still need the experience and I'm iffy about walking big dogs.

Therapy you have to have a degree for. I've thought about it though but don't know if I have enough passion on it to encounter all that schooling. I have my own baggage so I don't know about taking someone else's on. I am someone who is always analyzing so that's why I thought about it. Every thing I think about requires more schooling I am told.

That would a cinch for me being computer oriented as long as I didn't have to talk on the phone. Chatting online no problem but I haven't been able to find anything with my lack of work history.
How about medical coding or transcription? Many of those jobs (data entry) related that you can do at home, and don't require you to talk to people. Although coding requires certification, data entry or transcription may be the best bet.
I have spent most of my life doing data entry, and I really loathe talking to people by phone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment