Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2013, 03:50 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,137,120 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach_B View Post
I think this is more for people who freshly graduated since the 2008 recession
And amazingly I personally know some of those graduates who are working in the corporate world making decent money. Shocking!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2013, 04:44 PM

150 posts, read 305,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach_B View Post
I think this is more for people who freshly graduated since the 2008 recession
I graduated in Dec. (from a lesser known state school none the less) and was offered a job making 40k/year one month prior to graduation. Wasn't at walmart either.

Old 03-03-2013, 05:19 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,006,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guest4 View Post
And when you graduate, enjoy working that Target or Wal-mart or a McJob!

Too bad these kids don't focus on technical or trade schools where REAL LIFE skills and not pencil pushing will earn you a living wage. Most college degrees today are useless. Computer science jobs are being outsourced (it's not just in the news or a TV show, it's real), and law work is suffering the same fate. The only profession is medical (IF you go full MD) but then again, the acceptance rate into medical school is very low and if you fail, you carry a huge debt for life.

CNN Video - Breaking News Videos from CNN.com

Yes College is the biggest scam going on America today and it's such a shame these kids will have so much debt.

Old 03-03-2013, 05:20 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,451,703 times
There is a lot of talk about the price/value of higher education.

It seems like everyone the lowest paying jobs do require a college degree now...so i think it's a good decision.

I thing that can cut down the cost a lot is going to community college first...but a lot of people
like to have that experience of being a freshman at a university...but I don't know if it's worth spending so much more for it.

you can do a lot of partying for a lot less $$$ ...

When you transfer you end up getting the same exact degree as the person that paid more to do the whole 4 years or ... 6+ years that it now ends up taking.

A lot of people go to college for the wrong reasons "to party" and so they can brag about it for "prestige" reasons.
My son goes to "blah blah College"

I think as the world of work changes, colleges will have to adapt too and people will have to start thinking differently ...the mindset of getting one job and staying there has gone out the window..but I think it's going to change further.

Old 03-03-2013, 05:21 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkBunny View Post
If you asked me like 6 years ago if everyone should go to college, I would have probably laughed in your face and said "of course." After having graduated and earned a masters, I see exactly what the employment options are for every field. Things are so not what college admissions make them out to be. The competition is FIERCE and for every low-paying job that you are over-qualified for, someone will gladly take it in your place with even higher qualifications. It's kindof an uphill battle for many. And while certain majors are not in demand, is it really fair to have gone to school, to have developed excellent writing, verbal, and analytical skills and to have to settle for working as a janitor just to pay off your debt?

I have a friend who has a Master's Degree and is currently at a temp job still looking for something full-time. She is so confused because she thought getting the Master's was the key to success.

Old 03-03-2013, 05:23 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticsnerd View Post
I wouldn't say college is useless. I got an accounting degree and I'm doing alright.

I would say it is useless if you major in something useless like history, political science, english, art history, philosophy, or a couple that the slackers really seem to gravitate towards- communications, marketing.

Get a degree in any of these and you should do alright in the long run (might have to take a crappy job or two to get started in this economy): accounting, engineering, computer science, information systems, actuarial science.

If I was able to turn back the hands of time accounting is what I would have majored in instead of being caught up in a DREAM JOB

Old 03-03-2013, 05:26 PM

989 posts, read 1,876,985 times
I have no regrets at all about attending college, and getting a degree. It was the best four years of my life.

Old 03-03-2013, 05:27 PM
FBJ

I don't think college grads should be applying to Fast food jobs.

I think they should atleast be focusing on customer service or clerical support jobs that will help strengthen their customer relations and computer operations skills.

Old 03-03-2013, 05:28 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,451,703 times
Do we really want to get rid of the arts in college, and support for the arts in society in general?

I think it would be pretty boring if everyone was just studying the sciences and no arts.

I don't think it's fair to say that only slackers study certain majors .

Also people are going to have to get more entrepreneurial I think no matter what they study.

It might be hard to get a job with a marketing degree ...but if you really know how to market you can make a fortune for example in internet marketing.

I'm not sure why you would think marketing is a useless major...

Old 03-03-2013, 05:32 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Do we really want to get rid of the arts in college, and support for the arts in society in general?

I think it would be pretty boring if everyone was just studying the sciences and no arts.

I don't think it's fair to say that only slackers study certain majors .

Also people are going to have to get more entrepreneurial I think no matter what they study.

It might be hard to get a job with a marketing degree ...but if you really know how to market you can make a fortune for example in internet marketing.

I'm not sure why you would think marketing is a useless major...

Yeah I'm a seeing increase in social media jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment