Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2013, 07:07 AM

2,008 posts, read 4,723,058 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyDude75 View Post
I always wonder how someone gets a job being inside a office at a bank?
start off as a teller or other client facing position and work your way up. Unless you already have branch manager experience and you get hired in directly as a manager. For the behind the scenes type cubicle jobs, you can get hired in or start low and work your way up. I saw many people do both.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2013, 08:10 AM

1,412 posts, read 4,483,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kees View Post
I had the same teller at my US Bank branch screw up twice on back to back transactions... the first one she deposited a check into the wrong account then the following week I needed a cashier's check... she got the payee and other info correct but forgot to sign the check.

The deposit I noticed as I exited the bank and was walking to my car... the cashier's check was a little more annoying because I didn't notice the lack of a signature until I got home.

Maybe she just doesn't take her $10 an hour job seriously...?

Or she is not trained correctly or perhaps nervous waiting on you, especially considering she screwed up your first transaction with her.

Tellers have to know so much and be responsible for so much, but get such little respect or pay.

Old 03-05-2013, 02:09 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,350,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
My mother had a friend who worked for the Federal Reserve Bank, she had a breakdown, spent about a year in a rehab facility, then "retired" on a mental disability. The job drove her nuts
The Federal Reserve Bank isn't a retail bank like Citi or Wells Fargo, so they wouldn't have teller positions.

Old 03-05-2013, 07:48 PM

8,514 posts, read 4,492,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyDude75 View Post
I always wonder how someone gets a job being inside a office at a bank?
Those nice seemingly cushy office jobs at the bank are not all that easy. I've done them as well. Always asked to be cross trained and be willing to do things above and beyond. One thing in banks, once you get one of those desk jobs, you are expected to SELL. You will have sales goals, you will meet those goals, and you will get commission. If you don't meet those sales goals, it might mean your boss doesn't get his or her commision, and you won't be around very long in that job.

Old 03-05-2013, 07:58 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,998,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Easybreezy View Post
Those nice seemingly cushy office jobs at the bank are not all that easy. I've done them as well. Always asked to be cross trained and be willing to do things above and beyond. One thing in banks, once you get one of those desk jobs, you are expected to SELL. You will have sales goals, you will meet those goals, and you will get commission. If you don't meet those sales goals, it might mean your boss doesn't get his or her commision, and you won't be around very long in that job.

yeah I know all about daily quotas lol

Old 03-05-2013, 08:48 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,193,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tatiana1 View Post
I thought it was for 'safety' reasons since I hear about banks being robbed by masked gunmen all the time. I am sure the thought of that possibility is enough to make many tellers on edge. And $10/hr? Not worth it. I thought they start around $13. I think the only ones who feel safe are those with the glass window, but not all branches have that.
All the time? It's not the wild west out there. On average 20 banks are robbed every day out of 6000 banks in the U.S. That is little more than 1/3 of 1%. There are far more dangerous jobs out there then being a bank teller so lets not overstate the case.

Old 01-21-2015, 10:12 PM

1 posts, read 1,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Tellers are entry-level positions, which means high turnover.

The only thing "unsafe" about being a teller is picking up a bug from all that filthy money you have to handle all day. Shootouts at the FDIC Corral happen only in the movies.

My teller job paid $3.40 an hour in 1979, and I thought that was a king's ransom! LOL

I was told way back when that the low pay was because being a teller was a "glamour job." Right. At the end of the day, your hands are stained from ink and dirty money, every other customer yells at you for taking so long to complete the transaction, your feet are killing you because the manager won't repair the wobbly leg on your chair so you're standing all day, and you get a UTI because you haven't had a potty break all day. So glamorous!

Altho the job sucks..... how would you apply to the credit union. Do you have to know someone, or luck of the draw? As long as your having fun with customer keep on smile on ur face.

Old 01-21-2015, 10:17 PM

1,544 posts, read 1,698,831 times
Go to the credit union's web site, look for a careers link. Call the credit union and ask. Go to the credit union and ask.

Old 09-08-2018, 05:40 AM

1 posts, read 478 times
Im currently training at a bank, it’s been a month already and I was late twice due to unfortunate circumstance and I currently have a hard time being as accurate as they want me to be. I got yelled at because I kept verifying with the customer about what he wants me to do and didn’t like that he kept repeating his self. I have never been more stressed in life than as of rn. I really want to be as accurate and as fast as they want me to be but I just never felt soo out of place in my life ever. It’s really hard my training bm even said that she thinks that I don’t have it in me to continue on. I’m honestly pretty bummed she said that and I keep pushing myself to try harder but It’s like i can’t even do that 

Old 09-08-2018, 07:42 AM

7,759 posts, read 3,879,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SillyGoose04 View Post
Im currently training at a bank, it’s been a month already and I was late twice due to unfortunate circumstance and I currently have a hard time being as accurate as they want me to be. I got yelled at because I kept verifying with the customer about what he wants me to do and didn’t like that he kept repeating his self. I have never been more stressed in life than as of rn. I really want to be as accurate and as fast as they want me to be but I just never felt soo out of place in my life ever. It’s really hard my training bm even said that she thinks that I don’t have it in me to continue on. I’m honestly pretty bummed she said that and I keep pushing myself to try harder but It’s like i can’t even do that 
Don't worry, you will be a candidate for Universal Basic Income when technology phases out all of these basic jobs that require thinking on your feet anyways.

The fact is some people are not made for that line of work but it doesn't matter because those jobs are going away. The last time I went to a teller was 1 year ago. I don't even need money orders anymore because I just Zelle the money to my Wife and she pays the rent with a check. Everything can be done with an app now.

Having said that, yes people in NYC area are quitting the job because they know it's going away. As a teller you only deal with old people who are not comfortable with smartphones or computers. So it can be annoying. In 25 years a lot of those old fogies will be R.I.P. and so will those jobs. Best if they start to re-train on technology and learn how to fix mobile app bugs. QA positions supporting dev ops will be numerous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment