Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2013, 12:07 PM

1,479 posts, read 2,719,543 times

Advertisements

Gender has made no difference in my experience. I've had male bosses that were total power hungry control freaks and female bosses that were just as bad. An a$$hole is an a$$hole, regardless of gender.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2013, 04:35 PM

6,472 posts, read 6,678,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsguy2001 View Post

In the case of female bosses, a lot depends on how she reached her position. Did she advance the same as a typical male employee would? Did she never get married and completely sacrifice her personal life to get her position? Did she get her position due to an affirmative action program? There are so many variables.
Were you just trying to be politically correct by leaving out the sleaziest way for a female to get promoted? Sadly, I've seen it. I don't know how some people live with themselves. Especially when the CEO is a grotesque little weasel. Ick ick ick.

Old 03-08-2013, 07:01 PM

6,790 posts, read 8,198,821 times
I've always found women tend to be more professional, and leave their personal lives at home. I've had a number of male bosses who constantly bring their personal relationships into the office, I've never had a female manager do that. One man was going through a divorce and he was always talking about how hard it was, asking what could he do to fix things, on and on for months, I don't want to hear that stuff, I just want to get my work done. I've also seen a number of male managers view the workplace as a matchmaking service.

I spent a number of years in HR where my job was to work with all the managers, not just my own, I always found the women to be better at getting the work details done, if I needed something I only had to ask once and they met the deadline, there were always a few male managers I had to track down, and ask over and over again for the simplest things, these things were simple, but often essential to their employees, like getting paid, or receiving a benefit.

Almost all managers show some degree of favoritism, but the males were much worse about letting it affect their reviews, raises, and promotions. When you work in HR you get a different perspective because you see everything, you know what everyone is being paid, what their qualifications are, how they are reviewed and how senior management sees them, how many hours they actually work. Most people never know this stuff and often make false assumptions about what is actually going on.

It seems to me that being male never comes into play when a boss is being judged, being female is a much different story, for some people anything they don't like will be blamed on her gender, even if males across the hall are doing the exact same thing. For the most part I've worked with great managers of both genders, I've never had any major problems with anyone I have worked with, or for. I actually have no gender preference in a boss, I just like good ones. I'm thrilled with the woman I work for now since she happens to be me, I find that to be the best boss situation of all.

Old 03-08-2013, 07:58 PM

99 posts, read 167,647 times
I actually agree with you. I have two managers (one male, one female.) The female is easily pushed around by other managers, gets frazzled easily and gives in to frivolous "suggestions" (phrased like one but meant as an order). My male manager, on the other hand is very "we're doing this because this is the most important thing for us to sustain ourselves and those who don't like it can pick a cheek to kiss and get over it." And this male manager is technically not quite as high as the others (one small peg below) but he stands his ground and gets respect. And, 100% of the time, his way is most logical.

Old 03-08-2013, 08:16 PM

9,007 posts, read 13,839,675 times
Wow,no wonder women get no where.
All these generalizations.

When I was the boss at a psych home,the men resented it.
It was an all boys pysch home btw. They did have some women. Men don't like women bosses working over them. A majority of men seem to have an issue with that.
The men used to say"I wish we had some men around here so they can listen to them".
3 years later,and they are still looking for someone.

But really,the worst to have as bosses are gay men

Old 03-08-2013, 08:27 PM

5,281 posts, read 6,588,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
Wow,no wonder women get no where.
All these generalizations.

When I was the boss at a psych home,the men resented it.
It was an all boys pysch home btw. They did have some women. Men don't like women bosses working over them. A majority of men seem to have an issue with that.
The men used to say"I wish we had some men around here so they can listen to them".
3 years later,and they are still looking for someone.

But really,the worst to have as bosses are gay men

Completely agree. I had a temp summer job in 2003 when I was laid off and between real corporate jobs. My mother got me a job with a design store owned by two gay men. Now one was pretty chill and cool. But the other one? Total freaking drama queen. He would tell me to do something, and then say 'what is taking you so long, I need it done now'. Mind you he would say this 30 seconds after asking me. Completely annoying to work underneath him.

I have never personally resented working underneath women. I use to actually be quite excited when I had an interview and had a female hiring manager. Women were the main ones taking a chance with me earlier in my career. The men would never hire me. But man, they were always a pain to work with. And maybe my 'interview' personality is misleading. I come across as charismatic and charming in interviews, but in a day to day basis I focus on my work and would prefer to be left alone. Female bosses love being friends with men who are funny, talkative, and charming.

Still whether I was favored by my boss or not, I am objective enough to see their management styles. Things I've seen with female managers I don't like. They're the type if managers who don't protect their own people. The thing I've noticed about male bosses is that they are all about protecting their people. They fight for their people, and they trust their reports to make good decisions. I've found when most male managers don't find their reports reliable they show them the door. Female managers seem to judge their workers on how they make them feel, not necessarily what value their adding to their job or the team.

Old 03-08-2013, 08:30 PM

1,105 posts, read 1,787,376 times
I almost got blacklisted out of my career field by a bit chy female boss; and I am female. If I had two positions to choose from and one boss was male and the other female. I'd instinctively take the male. Most times, working for a female is like having two jobs in one. The one you get paid for and one trying to keep that bit ch happy. No thanks. I guess it comes down to personality really. I'm my dad's daughter so I relate better to men.

Old 03-08-2013, 09:28 PM

456 posts, read 1,170,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekkie View Post
I have a female manager now and I'd say her thing is about proving herself to the rest of us. That said, she can be quite relentless. She has no qualms about throwing you under the bus. She is the epitome of cut throat.

All in all, I think a lot of people tend to agree, both men and women alike, that working with women can be quite a chore. Among each other, they are catty and extremely competitive. With men, they seem to always be attempting to prove their worth by acting macho and cut throat. And don't get me started on passive aggressive tendencies.
You're right on the money. I would say 75% of women are like this period. I hope to GOD that I won't act like that when I am in a managing position, because those women make me want to punch them in the face. I have had SO many issues with women in higher positions than me. I don't even do or say anything and they already act like they're out to ruin my life, like they want to take out their frustrations on the poor nice, pretty girl who can't stand up for herself, because it would be crossing the line in a professional setting.

At the end of the day, men are straight-forward and direct. I LOVE that and that's exactly how I am. This is also why in college, I tried to avoid having female professors.

Old 03-08-2013, 10:29 PM

10,048 posts, read 18,069,717 times
Wow. What a bunch of female-bashing crap. Can you say misogyny?

When men screw up (as some do), no one EVER says it's because of their gender. When women screw up (as some do), many people -- including apparently 90% of those who posted in this thread -- will blame it on their gender.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkBunny View Post
You're right on the money. I would say 75% of women are like this period. I hope to GOD that I won't act like that when I am in a managing position, because those women make me want to punch them in the face. I have had SO many issues with women in higher positions than me. I don't even do or say anything and they already act like they're out to ruin my life, like they want to take out their frustrations on the poor nice, pretty girl who can't stand up for herself, because it would be crossing the line in a professional setting.

At the end of the day, men are straight-forward and direct. I LOVE that and that's exactly how I am. This is also why in college, I tried to avoid having female professors.
Oh, poor you. Yes, all the women in the world who are above you hate you because you are so pretty. Good g-d. Did you really write that?!

When I worked in the corporate world, I had good bosses & bosses who drove me crazy. No correlation at all with their gender. Now I work in a relatively non-hierarchical field; I technically don't have a "boss" but if I did, it would never occur to me to worry if I, horrors, were to get a woman.

Last edited by karen_in_nh_2012; 03-08-2013 at 10:38 PM..

Old 03-08-2013, 11:27 PM

1,105 posts, read 1,787,376 times
Karen - I noticed you have a background in academia. Do you care to comment on the article in the WSJ and if you had any similarities in your career progressions?

Everyone has an opinion and fortunately, this is an anonymous opinion board. I thought the article was informative.

Quote:
Originally Posted by X14Freak View Post
The Tyranny of the Queen Bee - WSJ.com

I am surprised no one posted this article from the Wall Street Journal about female bosses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment