Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2013, 06:12 AM

4,400 posts, read 13,390,696 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Danes View Post
I could careless about my boss getting fired. You hit it on the head as it relates to the innocent life being taken.
Really? Earlier you said telling would come back to bite YOU badly....you reaction and the inconsistencies in this really are not adding up.

What is really going on?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2013, 06:17 AM

242 posts, read 355,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
You could try letting higher ups know anonymously and see what happens. Perhaps write a letter. Another option would be to call the police when you know he is drunk and driving.

I could do both of those. Thanks for the reply.

Old 03-08-2013, 07:11 AM

2,430 posts, read 5,577,469 times
This is a tragedy + lawsuit waiting to happen. And it has nothing to do with the fact that the employee is driving a company car (although I'm sure that compounds it). At my old company (huge corporation), it was known that a man frequently drank on the job. His boss and coworkers knew it. He got in his own car and drove home (on his own time), causing a fatal accident. Was the company sued? You bet! Should they/could they have prevented it? Of course!!!

Today is the day before something terrible happens. Do what you can to prevent it.

Old 03-08-2013, 10:10 AM

12,322 posts, read 17,124,630 times
Your boss is showing irresponsible behavior to the maximum. His mint suggestion clearly shows he is aware of it. The company will get sued back to the stone age and people could die.

You have a good relationship with this boss, And if you cannot adress this major concern to him go above. Imagine this guy kills a whole family while driving intoxicated. Awful.

The employee driving the car needs help for his alcoholism. There are different severity levels with alcoholism, And he sounds like his is way up there. If he drinks that much he is physically dependent on it. If he quits he could get DT's and that alone could be fatal. Withdrawal from alcohol in severe cases must be under medical supervision. Serious stuff. In a nutshell, even if he stops drinking one morning the shakes and other symptoms could still leave him impaired.

Old 03-08-2013, 10:26 AM

1,201 posts, read 1,924,063 times
A drunk could be sober and perfectly fine for driving during his time at work and still reek of alcohol. I know a lot of drunks. Just because he is a drunk, doesn't mean he is actually drunk at work. If he really is, maybe figure out where he will be driving (like someplace where he will end up parking for a while), call the police anonymously saying you saw this car swerving all over the road at that specific location (and describe the company car) and see what happens.

Old 03-08-2013, 10:58 AM
YAZ

7,706 posts, read 14,079,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
I'd contact your bosses boss, or the company owners. A lawsuit in a company car would probibly cost the owners the company. They may thank you. If the worst that would happen is you'd get fired, you could live with that, the alternative is living with what may well happen to some innocent bystander.
Dept. of Labor has a link and offers protection against being fired:OWPP Home Page
This.

If I knew that I could intervene and did not......and something bad happened.....I would be responsible.

Just make damn sure that you're right.

Old 03-08-2013, 11:01 AM
YAZ

7,706 posts, read 14,079,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soanchorless View Post
A drunk could be sober and perfectly fine for driving during his time at work and still reek of alcohol. I know a lot of drunks. Just because he is a drunk, doesn't mean he is actually drunk at work. If he really is, maybe figure out where he will be driving (like someplace where he will end up parking for a while), call the police anonymously saying you saw this car swerving all over the road at that specific location (and describe the company car) and see what happens.
Sure.

I worked with a guy that had some disease that caused him to have an odor of alcohol on him constantly. HR gave him breath tests numerous times; always a negative result.

Old 03-08-2013, 11:09 AM

3,563 posts, read 5,374,083 times
Here's what you do: when he leaves the place have a Sheriff around the corner on notice who "discovers" that this guy is driving "erratically" and pulls him over. Works great. Best for all. Practice you best "Chief Wiggum" voice and/or get your bro. to do it!

Note: We lost our sister and cousin to a (dead) drunk driver right after she graduated from University. Two years later I took the keys from our promoted employee when he walked in from his "celebration" and was determined to drive, pissed, 30 miles home. Probably would have blown twice or more the legal limit.

Note: The executives above me in the "hierarchy" didn't have the balls to do it, so I did. This guy never forgave me, largely I think because he thought I was "below" him in the chicken coup. I would have hoped that since 1980 we'd be looking at this differently.

Your boss just DOESN'T SEE IT. It's a lot like dealing with Asbergers'. It doesn't register, even though it's right in front of him. Just let the Sheriff handle it!

Old 03-08-2013, 12:07 PM

Quote:

Are you kidding? You sound just as silly as my boss for aloowing it.

Old 03-08-2013, 12:09 PM

Quote:

Are you serious?

What company allows someone to get behind the wheel of a company car and the person smells like alchohol? You have to be joking! Good grief.

You must be a drunk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment