Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2013, 01:27 PM

1,923 posts, read 2,409,899 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyDude75 View Post
People who work in fast food get their friends and family hired which explains why it's hard to get in
I know that. But the republitards just keep parroting the old myth of "just go get a job".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2013, 01:46 PM

21,876 posts, read 25,146,349 times
Hard to tell. It's cyclical and always picks up somewhere around March or April. All I can say is it's definitely picked up. I've gone from scrambling to find work to turning down jobs because I can't cover them. Last few years we (my individual network of friends who pass jobs around on an unofficial basis) never bothered to setup an availability calendar. If it keeps going like this, we'll probably do it. It's a bit of a hassle but being able to pass work around keeps agencies happy and calling which means more work for everyone in the pool.

Old 03-09-2013, 04:02 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,016,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Hard to tell. It's cyclical and always picks up somewhere around March or April. All I can say is it's definitely picked up. I've gone from scrambling to find work to turning down jobs because I can't cover them. Last few years we (my individual network of friends who pass jobs around on an unofficial basis) never bothered to setup an availability calendar. If it keeps going like this, we'll probably do it. It's a bit of a hassle but being able to pass work around keeps agencies happy and calling which means more work for everyone in the pool.

I do remember last year when I was unemployed the month of APRIL was the worst month out of the entire year for posted job openings.

Old 03-09-2013, 04:42 PM

6,940 posts, read 9,679,931 times
Don't let the recent "jobs report" mislead you. The dip in the unemployment rate is attributed to a smaller workforce. The only barometer worth looking at to asses the job market is the labor participation rate. This is the percentage of eligible and able people in the workforce. As of now, it's at a 4 year low. The job market is still in a standstill.

Walk Street is no longer an indicator of economic behavior. Economists have long dismissed it.

Old 03-13-2013, 05:59 PM

4,713 posts, read 9,703,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captnemo View Post
Is job market getting better or is it a myth.
This question has no answer. The "job market" is not the same for everyone. The ability to find a new job is based on a plethora of individual factors, of which education, experience, network, field and geographical region are only a few.

The truth is that, for some people, finding a new job over the past several years has not been that difficult at all. For others, it has become a huge challenge.

The "job market" is NOT a homogeneous entity.

Old 03-13-2013, 06:33 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,016,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tober138 View Post
This question has no answer. The "job market" is not the same for everyone. The ability to find a new job is based on a plethora of individual factors, of which education, experience, network, field and geographical region are only a few.

The truth is that, for some people, finding a new job over the past several years has not been that difficult at all. For others, it has become a huge challenge.

The "job market" is NOT a homogeneous entity.

I agree with that, some former coworkers of mine found a job a lot faster because they had a certain background.

Old 03-13-2013, 07:16 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,520,957 times
I just did the hiring for an open position. A degree was preferred but not required and we got 50 applicants. I'd say about 35 made very foolish mistakes. Horrible resume/grammar/no cover letter. Makes me wonder how many people really have no clue how to apply for a job. If you can't do little things like this right I have to assume you are not a great worker.

Old 03-14-2013, 07:42 AM

4,713 posts, read 9,703,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyDude75 View Post
I agree with that, some former coworkers of mine found a job a lot faster because they had a certain background.
Exactly. I know a fair number of people who have been laid off at some point in the past 3-4 years. For a few of them, it took them the better part of 8-9 months to find a new position. Others were able to find something within a few weeks. And the rest were somewhere in between.

Old 03-14-2013, 08:56 AM

1,923 posts, read 2,409,899 times
I've heard that some jobs are coming back here because of fuel prices. The sociopaths can no longer profit through chinese slave labor and shipping it back here. I think it's hilarious.

Old 03-14-2013, 09:02 AM

4,677 posts, read 5,768,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shift View Post
^^This^^

I have applied for several jobs that I could have gotten 5-10 years ago with no problem but it seems that even if I meet 99.5% of the requirements, I am not considered because of the remaining 0.50% that I don't meet.
The problem is not the requirements you don't meet.
The problem is the other person who applies who exceeds the requirements.
For the handful of jobs we have advertised recently, we always get a half-dozen applicants who meet all of the requirements. Even though any one of them would be a qualified hire, only one of them is going to get the job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment