Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2007, 05:17 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,065,882 times

Advertisements

Sorry, even when I was single, I wouldn't let anyone scream at me. It's not worth it. Do you think they will respect you the next time or just use you as a door mat? This is not meant to insult anyone--it's just my opinion. You spend a lot of time at work and we all have bad days but to let a boss berate you for a paycheck can only spell 'disaster' eventually.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2007, 09:27 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,528,307 times
My worst: Operating an aircraft lavatory servicing truck in the Winter and having the hose come loose...

Old 11-01-2007, 07:16 PM

419 posts, read 1,921,063 times
I've had several bad jobs in the past, but I will have to say the worst was when I was 15 years old. It all began when a buddy of mine and I had gone to a circus that was in town. Yes, we both enjoyed what the circus had to offer, but while cursing through some of the side show attractions we saw a help wanted sign. This sign was outside a large tent that adverstised oddities of the world (or something to that nature). We both inquired about the job and accepted. All we had to do was bust down the tent and stow away all the stuff inside. Sounded pretty easy to a couple of teenagers that thought they could manage that. Be back at 11PM, we were told. OK, we arrive on time and get instructions on what to do. Never having been inside the tent, we were very surprised at what was there and we had to remove all of it and load everything in a truck. Lets just say that if you have ever gone to the circus and had the opportunity to visit a freak show ... well, this is where we were. Almost everything there was, how should I say this ... unappealing to the eyes. Both of us were committed to completing the job and did so by 7Am the next morning. Shortly afterwards we were paid, and were we surprised. We were paid 9 dollars total and had to split that between the 2 of us. We both learned a very hard lesson that night. But I will say, that lesson has paid off.

Old 11-01-2007, 10:22 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,455,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crew Chief View Post
My worst: Operating an aircraft lavatory servicing truck in the Winter and having the hose come loose...
I can feel your pain! That is truly the pits!

Old 11-02-2007, 07:36 PM

1,464 posts, read 1,026,659 times
I do agree with Katie45, that the worst jobs have more to do with a bad manager or boss than the job itself.

I currently have the best job ever, I really love what I do, but my supervisor/boss/next up in my chain of command- is a egotistical, chauvinistic, tyrant!

I alternate daily between experiencing joy from the work I do, to despair from the micromanaging, knucklehead in charge...Ugh!
Every other day, I feel like leaving...but have many years invested, decent pay, a great retirement system and most importantly I'm making a difference in children's lives which is rewarding.

Anyhow...as to the topic..the worst job I ever had was a sheriff's deputy in a large County in Texas. The first year as a deputy you are required to work in the County Jail, and it was very bleak and oppressive. The moment they closed the enormous gates behind you, you felt like a prisoner yourself!
Actually , the prisoners were not nearly as bad as the other deputies...Ugh!
What a bunch of slobering, mouth breathers!
They harassed everyone that came in who was not of their own race, or ethnicity. They had no intergrity or ethics when it came to their female co-workers (or female prisoners).

Most of the deputies belonged in there themselves. It was awful!

I worked there nine monthes before getting hired as a Police Officer for the municipalitiy that the county jail was located in, and things were totally different! Female officers were respected and treated fairly, and the work environment was much better. Although I no longer work in law enforcement, it turned out to be a better experience after having left the first awful year behind...

Old 11-04-2007, 02:28 AM

83 posts, read 66,393 times
Well it looks like America is going broke.No opportunities,no jobs and real estate down the tubes as never seen in history.I guess after immigrating to other states it will be time to leave the country as well.

Old 11-04-2007, 09:14 PM

38,863 posts, read 22,849,388 times
I wanted to add to my original post regarding my last job at the transportation engineering company. I disliked it so much that I was consumed with thoughts of quitting, every single day. There actually were a few times when I'd leave for lunch and was very tempted not to come back to work! I also had called in sick when I really wasn't (I was going out on job interviews).

I was at that job for six months. Thank goodness the nightmare is over. For those of us who have to work for a living (which is the majority of us), life is too short to be miserable at work, hating every single minute of it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment