U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2013, 05:09 PM

2,574 posts, read 2,681,740 times

Advertisements

I have recently read (here) about these three companies that offer legitimate work-at-home jobs. I would like to get more info before applying and would love to hear directly from those who have worked for any of these companies.

All I have learned up to this point has been about Lionbridge, from another forum, and from what I have read it seems that it takes a long time to be hired (maybe up to three months!?) and the work, according to some, is mind-numbing. I've also read a few scary stories about people not being paid for months at a time.

I'd like to know what others think about the hiring processes and the actual work before I actively pursue any of these three. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2013, 05:26 PM

1,202 posts, read 804,141 times
I've worked for all three. The work is mind-numbing...I couldn't take it. I was hired by Leapforce immediately after applying. Lionbridge took about three months. Appen-Butler Hill took maybe six months, and I was only offered a cloud source type work, which is the lowest paying and least dependable, so the more regular, hourly work might be better. Actually, there are tons of people who really, really want that work through Appen-Butler Hill. It's really demanding, but one of the best work at home opportunities, pay-wise. But expect a year or more before getting offered that type of work.

The main thing with Lionbridge and Leapforce is that the work is rarely dependable. You also have multiple types of "tasks," and all of the tasks have different guidelines and instructions. It takes so much time and mental energy to memorize these guidelines, and then they constantly change. You also can't charge for the time spent reading guidelines or instructions. I was finding that my hourly rate was around minimum wage, after I accounted for all the time I spend reading instructions, consulting guidelines, and keeping track of my tasks. I just hated it. The work is not something I could do full time or even probably 20 hours a week without pulling my hair out...but probably because I have a very low attention span. lol

However, there are lots of people who love these jobs and make good hourly rates. It is one of those things that either "clicks" or doesn't. For me, it didn't, but it's worth a try. It is really flexible and can be a good part time gig for extra money, but I wouldn't count on it as your only source of income.

And I never had a problem with getting paid on time. Although, some people have. They sometimes do "audits" I guess. You only can charge a certain amount of time for each task you do....if you charge more (even if you took more than that amount of time), they basically make you go back and change your time to fit their metrics. So they basically force you to work for free or fire you for not being productive enough.

Old 03-10-2013, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soanchorless View Post
I've worked for all three. The work is mind-numbing...I couldn't take it. I was hired by Leapforce immediately after applying. Lionbridge took about three months. Appen-Butler Hill took maybe six months, and I was only offered a cloud source type work, which is the lowest paying and least dependable, so the more regular, hourly work might be better. Actually, there are tons of people who really, really want that work through Appen-Butler Hill. It's really demanding, but one of the best work at home opportunities, pay-wise. But expect a year or more before getting offered that type of work.

The main thing with Lionbridge and Leapforce is that the work is rarely dependable. You also have multiple types of "tasks," and all of the tasks have different guidelines and instructions. It takes so much time and mental energy to memorize these guidelines, and then they constantly change. You also can't charge for the time spent reading guidelines or instructions. I was finding that my hourly rate was around minimum wage, after I accounted for all the time I spend reading instructions, consulting guidelines, and keeping track of my tasks. I just hated it. The work is not something I could do full time or even probably 20 hours a week without pulling my hair out...but probably because I have a very low attention span. lol

However, there are lots of people who love these jobs and make good hourly rates. It is one of those things that either "clicks" or doesn't. For me, it didn't, but it's worth a try. It is really flexible and can be a good part time gig for extra money, but I wouldn't count on it as your only source of income.

And I never had a problem with getting paid on time. Although, some people have. They sometimes do "audits" I guess. You only can charge a certain amount of time for each task you do....if you charge more (even if you took more than that amount of time), they basically make you go back and change your time to fit their metrics. So they basically force you to work for free or fire you for not being productive enough.
Thanks for the feedback. The work is all similar in type, right?

I don't want to invest a ton of time getting hired and then find I hate it, and I don't think I'll bother with Appen-Butler hill for that reason.. I need to start making money sooner rather than later! I am not looking for full time though right now, just extra money for now to save up for a move that will happen this summer.

The downsides sound similar to my previous work-at-home job. There's always a huge downside huh? I wonder if I should just invest more time into my eBay business instead. I don't know. I worked from home before for years doing data entry of medical paperwork, and many of the same problems existed, like unreliable amounts of work (either NO work or mandatory overtime that was insane), no compensation for tech problems on the company's end, etc. We were paid "piece rate" which was great as long as everything ran smoothly but as soon as there was a problem, we'd find our piece rate dropping sometimes to below minimum wage and then we'd get in trouble, because we were regular W2 employees and they'd have to "supplement" our pay to bring us back up to minimum wage. It was awful.

Anyway thanks for giving me more to consider. I am looking for something now that won't interfere with my school schedule, at least until summer when I can go full time. I commute to school out of town, and also take some online classes, so that means Tuesday and Thursday I can't work at all and weekends are often partially devoted to the online stuff, leaving me a very weird work availability currently.

Old 03-10-2013, 08:12 PM

54 posts, read 76,854 times
I say try LeapForce. I found the work to be easy after a while. If you are hired, take advantage of it before they fire you. They can fire you even if you are doing excellent. To get the most tasks, you are going to have to start working in the morning. I'm mostly a night person and it sucked that there weren't many tasks for me at night. Tasks also lack on weekends.

It seems they are changing now, so what I'm saying above may not apply when you are hired.

Old 03-11-2013, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHungry View Post
I say try LeapForce. I found the work to be easy after a while. If you are hired, take advantage of it before they fire you. They can fire you even if you are doing excellent. To get the most tasks, you are going to have to start working in the morning. I'm mostly a night person and it sucked that there weren't many tasks for me at night. Tasks also lack on weekends.

It seems they are changing now, so what I'm saying above may not apply when you are hired.
Thanks. I am a night person too, plus just busy in the mornings, most of my free time is after 5pm. And weekends!

I am not too concerned about doing this long term. I mean, it would be nice if it worked out that way, but at this point my focus is on picking up some extra money between now and July/August.

Old 06-24-2013, 06:05 AM

1 posts, read 29,384 times
Post Experience from all over the world?

Hello everybody! I find this forum very useful and it would be great if there be opinions also from all over the world. I'm Italian and I worked for Lionbridge for about 10 months (July 2012-May 2013). What can I say? Is what I was looking for. I'm a journalist-blogger and I can manage my time, so work form home fits my needs.

Advantage: flexibilty in working hours, punctual payments, good feedback for administration threads
Disadvantage: not so clear in job's goals, sometimes it seems you are called judge but your observations about ratings are not taken in count (they want that you think exactly as the guideline and the RTA say), few chances to make team with other judges (just in webinar but you are audience and they don't want any exchange between judges).

In this moment I'm waiting to start selection process fo ABH (Appen Butler Hill), the task seems a little bit different from the Lionbridge one, but I can't say nothing because they still haven't sent the material to study (thy pay $100 for 10 hours qualification process). The pay is better than Lionbridge ones (about 13 Euros for ABH, about 9 Euros for LB), but I think it's different from Country to Country and from task to task

I'll inform you about the outcome of my exam (cross fingers for me, I'll have to study hard) and... sorry for my bad English

Old 06-24-2013, 09:53 PM

5,255 posts, read 4,750,707 times
I had a colleague interview at Lionbridge. Let's just say that she was not impressed with the process and outcome.

Old 06-25-2013, 10:01 AM

7,360 posts, read 7,588,132 times
i worked for lionbridge briefly - it's legitimate, and the work is no big deal to learn, but at the times that i was working there was barely anything to do. so i'd sit and check for tasks for 20 minutes, do some for 5 minutes, then sit and wait again. and you only get paid for the 5 minutes that you're actually working.

i may have been working at peak hours (outside of business hours EST), so maybe someone who can work at other times would do better. but who knows.

Old 10-21-2013, 02:30 PM

2 posts, read 26,546 times
From reading a whole lot of forums about Lionbridge it looks like it might be a good company for about 35% of the people that get into the online rater programs. The rest had problems with getting paid, the company demanding that they change their invoices to reduce the number of hours on it, they had to read a bunch of crap supplied by the company on their own time, snarky e-mails about productivity, and terminating their contract without warning. Some people calculated what they were earning after deducting taxes and adding in the time they spent reviewing new material without pay, and it came to about $6.00 per hour. Without factoring in that it's all your equipment, connection and software. What bothers me the most is you'll be classed as an independent contractor but they'll be tracking your productivity and you have to use their invoices and review material supplied by them. Not sure that's even legal (Actually I'm pretty sure it's not) but until someone's mad enough to file an SS-8 with the IRS we won't know for sure. It seems like taking shameless advantage of people.

It would be a lot smarter for them to pay by the task.

I'm not saying to not do it, but just realize that you'll most likely be making a lot less than promised and the job could just evaporate instantly. Have your eyes open.

Old 12-26-2013, 09:43 PM

6 posts, read 25,345 times
I wanted to reply to Lioxneverwas:

1. Unhappy people are the loudest. I've been with the company for years and have had no issues with pay or anything else.

2. You are an independent contractor not an employee. If you are hired as a contractor in most places, you will not be paid to learn how to do your job. You invest a few hours here and there learning your job and then once learned you are getting paid for only the tasks you work. Do not let something like you have to study keep you from this job. This job pays more than 99% of work at home no experience needed jobs. About 25-50% more.

3. What job doesn't take out taxes. You make $10/hr Uncle Sam is going to tax you. You make $100/hr you are taxed as well. This is a PT job and you most likely will not make enough to owe taxes. This isn't a get rich quick job. It's a supplemental income job. I work 40 hours at my 1st job and work this job for fun money. You will owe SSI, city, and state taxes at the end of the year, but you will be taxed at the same rate you would be taxed at if you were working a regular job.

4. I make way more than $6/hr. Unless these people are brain dead after the 1st 3 months max they shouldn't have to continuously study. The material doesn't change that often. Only time I refer to my training material is if I am unsure how to rate a task. Then I refer to it for about 5 minutes and back to work I go. No different than any other job and I keep my time clock on because most tasks give you more than enough time to complete them.

5. From what I have read on the forums, people are not terminated without warning. They are given a warning that their productivity or quality is low. They are placed on probation. If by the next month they aren't up to par they may be fired. Same with any contractor position. You are there to do a job either you do it or you are let go. Regular jobs fire without warning so how is this different than the 7 million people who were given a pink slip over the last 6 years?

6. No software is needed except an internet connection ( what home in the US doesn't have this), a PC ( again what home in the US doesn't have this), & an internet browser ( which is free). So no money for equipment is needed.

7. Independent contractors are required to abide by their client's quality specifications no matter what jobs. This isn't anything different than any standard contractor job. You agree to set wage and the client specifics the about of product they wish for you to produce.

8. They do pay you by the task. That's how I know your information is incorrect at least in regards to LB.

9. I make more at this PT than a min wage work makes at their FT 40hr a week job. I think that's great!

This job isn't for everyone. It's for people are motivated, intelligent, and driven. This isn't a pay all your bills job either. This isn't a I have 5 kids and do not have the time to work in a peaceful environment job. But if you like to make an extra $600 - 1400 a month working 10 - 20hrs a week then it's great! You can even get promoted and make more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment