Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2013, 03:46 AM

7,138 posts, read 10,965,016 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgiraffe View Post
It's those who attempt to play the role of a cop while being a security guard that has brought so much shame upon the occupation.
You mean like Kick Ass Mall Cop?

Darien long AKA Kick Ass Mall Cop Day1 - Trashy Mother Gets Tased - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2013, 08:44 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,348,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
The job is the same in either place and I think the term jailer fits both. But if you wish to make a distinction "prison guard" works. We can also call them turnkeys.
Is that from all your experience working in jails and prisons ? They are far from the same thing. Totally different sets of rules surrounding both.

Old 03-13-2013, 05:39 PM

4,045 posts, read 4,393,063 times
There are ones that work for a company called Garda,an armoured truck company,near the building where I work out of currently...and they seem to be quite arrogant- they pull trucks out without looking,park their cars or stand right in the middle of the driveway without any consideration. Do they think they have power over the rest of the world? Some even drive fake cop cars...wannabees.

Old 03-14-2013, 06:04 AM

3,376 posts, read 6,071,243 times
It's a job and whether it's your only one, or second/third/fourth means of income, then some people should zip their lips and find another worthy opponent to dump their grievances on.
Besides, as much as people like to badmouth those that supposedly aren't what some define as successful, there are many out there that probably tried time and time again to "crack the books", but couldn't make so much as a chip.
This is perhaps the best they could do for themselves right now and would rather keep quietly to themselves.

I was employed as a security officer for the 5th time last year and while the job was obviously not high paying, I liked it due to the low amounts of stress and drama.

Old 03-14-2013, 08:29 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,028,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
I've seen his videos. He's the the type who likes to overstep his boundaries and antagonize people. I've dealt with several SGs like him. However, those women were doing the most and the kids yelling "you gay" smh

Old 03-14-2013, 02:14 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,776,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
I've discovered amongst some people I know that being a security guard is regarded as the lowest and most contemptible job a person can have. Comments that I have heard include things like "security guards are losers who can't get a real job." One person informed me that security guards are often "stupid, fat, ugly, lonely people who would otherwise be unemployed and homeless, but lucked into this boring, low paying, unskilled job."

One of the biggest criticisms I hear about security guards that make them both ridiculous and pathetic is that they are "cop wannabes" and imagine that their position gives them some sort of authority, or at the very least 'machismo'.

Let me say emphatically that I disagree with this view. I think whatever your job or occupation is, it is far better than being unemployed or on welfare. It is an honest profession and these men and women deserve respect, not ridicule.

I call them Security Officers. I know some who take their jobs seriously, are fastidious about their uniforms and grooming, and are polite and responsible. Some are trying to improve their careers by taking classes to become managers and supervisors, or by becoming armed security officers.

However, I concede that most people will regard "security guard" with "pathetic loser."

I believe a security job is better than fast food and retail especially if it's a full-time job.

Old 03-14-2013, 05:31 PM

7,138 posts, read 10,965,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgiraffe View Post
I've seen his videos. He's the the type who likes to overstep his boundaries and antagonize people. I've dealt with several SGs like him. However, those women were doing the most and the kids yelling "you gay" smh
She was charged with criminal trespassing, contributing to the delinquency of a minor and simple battery.

As for him. The mall is private property and the owners have hired him to do what he is doing, and thats their right. Only issue I might see is him enforcing their rules on the public sidewalk in front of the mall. But I would guess that the mall has lawyers, and they have told him what he can and can't legally do.

Old 03-14-2013, 07:23 PM

15,107 posts, read 32,119,385 times
This is not the duty of a security guard. If the people were asked politely to leave, and irate, the police department should be called. The officers that respond to the call, will then take care of the problem. Security is more of a customer service job.

Old 03-14-2013, 07:24 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,028,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
She was charged with criminal trespassing, contributing to the delinquency of a minor and simple battery.

As for him. The mall is private property and the owners have hired him to do what he is doing, and thats their right. Only issue I might see is him enforcing their rules on the public sidewalk in front of the mall. But I would guess that the mall has lawyers, and they have told him what he can and can't legally do.
Yeah but he didn't have to tell the little kid to shut up. I mean the kids were outside for heaven sakes. He wanted to cause a scene and he does it a lot.

and as mentioned above me. If a problem because too big for a security guard; you call for the police. They're not trained to handle situations like that despite what some may believe.

Old 03-15-2013, 05:29 PM

29,628 posts, read 24,639,800 times
What a despicable and utterly useless topic. Anyone who works and pays taxes has my respect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment