U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2013, 11:01 AM

2,871 posts, read 3,556,333 times

Advertisements

I might have to work one of the types of jobs that I used to have while back in college. I've never worked at a bookstore, but it seems great, so nice & mellow & never gets super crowded. I've always kind of wanted to work at one. I'd hate to have to resort to working at the mall in some crowded, hectic clothing store like I did eons ago!

How is it really working at a bookstore? What's the usual hourly pay? The only place I guess there is is Barnes & Noble, which is the only bookstore around me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2013, 11:11 AM

3,768 posts, read 4,130,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
I might have to work one of the types of jobs that I used to have while back in college. I've never worked at a bookstore, but it seems great, so nice & mellow & never gets super crowded. I've always kind of wanted to work at one. I'd hate to have to resort to working at the mall in some crowded, hectic clothing store like I did eons ago!

How is it really working at a bookstore? What's the usual hourly pay? The only place I guess there is is Barnes & Noble, which is the only bookstore around me.
Two years ago I worked at a Barnes & Nobles part-time. I made $8 an hour. It was cool but there were things I didn't like.

The PROs
- you can wear your own clothes but no jeans
- nice atmosphere
- food was pretty good (especially if you love pastries)
- people were nice
- small employee discount

The CONs
- you had to work in the cafe at some point and that could get stressful
- you have to take out trash and mop floors
- hours were late. On Fridays and Saturdays, we were there til 11 and after midnight
- the employee discount was small

Unfortunately, book stores aren't doing well now and B&N in particular are facing closing stores so this may not be the best retail industry to enter. But good luck!

Old 03-11-2013, 11:29 AM

Thanks. Woah, B&N may be closing some locations too?! I already miss Borders quite a lot & liked it better than B&N, but now B&N too?!

Old 03-11-2013, 11:33 AM

3,768 posts, read 4,130,547 times
Yeah. Bookstores are getting killed now.

Barnes & Noble executive plans more store closings - CBS News

Old 03-11-2013, 11:46 AM

2,215 posts, read 1,863,201 times
And.... you still have to deal with the public. Like me. I looked up a book on B&N online, saw that it was in the store and went to go get it. It was 2X their own online price!!!!! I get that bricks and mortar stores have overhead, but still!! If I hadn't needed it to supplement a software course for this week, I would have ordered it online. From Amazon.

That said, I've always wanted to own a used bookstore in town, where people could come and sit in comfy chairs. With their dogs. And my dog. But then there's than niggling "profit" dealy. I get the allure of bookstores -- I go with my friends and drink coffee and browse through magazines -- it's a great atmosphere. But it's still work, when you work there!

Old 03-11-2013, 11:48 AM

Yep, I looked up that very same news article several min ago. Too bad! I hope neither of my 2 locations are closing...one of them has a cafe in it so you can actually sit at a table. A nice past-time of mine is going with my boyfriend, gathering some mags & sitting at a table for about 45 min or so going through the mags & even jotting notes & websites. Sheesh!

Old 03-11-2013, 02:03 PM

1,157 posts, read 796,899 times
Summary, retail is hard work, especially in a dying industry like big box bookstores. Just observe the people at B&N or whoever is left where you live. It isn't easy work when the stores are busy.

Old 03-11-2013, 10:11 PM

849 posts, read 696,510 times
As a bookworm myself, I did it once. It's just retail and all that it implies.

I too miss my 8orders and hanging out there.

Never thought bookstores would go away...

Old 03-11-2013, 11:09 PM

551 posts, read 895,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
.... Too bad! I hope neither of my 2 locations are closing...
Not all of their stores are closing but many of them are not hiring right now, just accepting apps. All the jobs we did while in college (waiting tables, bookstores, cafes, retail, hotels, etc) are not easy to get now, so be prepared to be shocked. Signs of the time I guess...

Old 03-12-2013, 06:28 AM

12,411 posts, read 9,634,094 times
I thought the B&N employees were very knowledgeable and professional. Don't they screen their employees with a test on literature?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment