Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2013, 07:39 PM

1,057 posts, read 2,418,502 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I am about to put in my 2 weeks notice at my current job, however I need to use a personal day because I have to go visit new daycares for my daughter (need to move due to the new job) and this can only be done during weekdays. I have personal days and vacation available and I am wondering if i should take the personal day first and then give my 2 weeks notice or if I should give my 2 weeks and ask to use a personal day ( My new job starts on April 1st) so i am giving a bit more than 2 weeks. What is the proper etiquette in cases like this?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2013, 10:17 PM

4,400 posts, read 13,390,696 times
When is the personal day? Is it before or during the notice period?

Old 03-12-2013, 01:32 AM

432 posts, read 1,227,946 times
Give them more than 2 weeks notice as you mentioned. Then advise them that you need one day off and see what they say. If they hassle and state that you have to work, just say that you will take the day off unpaid. I would assume if you have a good working relationship with your current employer and they will be supportive. Good luck with the new job and new place to live!

Old 03-12-2013, 09:03 AM

400 posts, read 1,508,599 times
request the days off and get approval before giving your notice. no company will approve a day off afterwards. you can always call in though

good luck

Old 03-12-2013, 09:13 AM

I looked at the employee handbook and it states that you can't take any vacations days once you put in your notice, the only days allowed by law are sick days The new company moved my start day so now I don't know what to do. Other question is the offer is contingent on passing a background check, references, physical,ect. I would rather not give notice until all the contingencies are met Just in Case, heard too many horror stories of people who gave notice and then the new company rescinded the offer for xy reasons. Would it be reasonable for me to ask the new company to move my start date till all contingencies are met? This will give me time to take a personal day before giving notice and be sure all the criteria are lined up before quitting on a contingent offer. Thanks a lot for the advice!

Old 03-12-2013, 09:26 AM

400 posts, read 1,508,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCmum View Post
I looked at the employee handbook and it states that you can't take any vacations days once you put in your notice, the only days allowed by law are sick days The new company moved my start day so now I don't know what to do. Other question is the offer is contingent on passing a background check, references, physical,ect. I would rather not give notice until all the contingencies are met Just in Case, heard too many horror stories of people who gave notice and then the new company rescinded the offer for xy reasons. Would it be reasonable for me to ask the new company to move my start date till all contingencies are met? This will give me time to take a personal day before giving notice and be sure all the criteria are lined up before quitting on a contingent offer. Thanks a lot for the advice!
dont give notice until the employer gives you a definite ok that everything is clear.

that is in all major corporations handbooks. follow my advice and youll be good
1. get the okay (adjust the start date if need be but you need the okay before resigning)
2. request the days off
1 & 2 are actually interchangeable
3. give notice

Old 03-12-2013, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caradvice View Post
dont give notice until the employer gives you a definite ok that everything is clear.

that is in all major corporations handbooks. follow my advice and youll be good
1. get the okay (adjust the start date if need be but you need the okay before resigning)
2. request the days off
1 & 2 are actually interchangeable
3. give notice
THat's what I want to do but I just dont know if New Company will be flexible on start date, they told me they needed me ASAP and wanted me to start even sooner than the date we agreed on, so I don't know how they will react if I tell them now that I need to push it back even further. I don't want to start on a bad note

Old 03-12-2013, 10:40 AM

4,713 posts, read 9,697,299 times
Quote:
THat's what I want to do but I just dont know if New Company will be flexible on start date, they told me they needed me ASAP and wanted me to start even sooner than the date we agreed on, so I don't know how they will react if I tell them now that I need to push it back even further. I don't want to start on a bad note
If a new company will not allow you to give at least two weeks notice after providing a formal, written offer...I would think there was something fishy about the new company.

Old 03-12-2013, 04:25 PM

The new company is actually a big company that I will not name but would be recognized if named. So, they still have not given me a written offer. Now, a new position opened in my current company at a different department that will put me at a manager's level and my boss sent it to me and told me he was going to vouch for me and give me a great recommendation if i apply. I feel like that position is in line with what i am looking for and will be better for me since I will not have to commute, move to a new place, ect among other things, plus being at the same company, the transition should be easier. However I don't know how much the pay is and HR told me to be patient after i sent my resume because the job was just opened last night and they are still discussing all the intricacies. Now, i DON'T Know what to do, I have already given a verbal approval to New Company and once they send the written offer I have 3 days to reply. At the same time, I know i am not going to get any answers from my company in 3 days since this job just got created. So what's one to do????

Old 03-12-2013, 04:41 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,409,587 times
Quote:
Hello,
I am about to put in my 2 weeks notice at my current job, however I need to use a personal day because I have to go visit new daycares for my daughter (need to move due to the new job) and this can only be done during weekdays. I have personal days and vacation available and I am wondering if i should take the personal day first and then give my 2 weeks notice or if I should give my 2 weeks and ask to use a personal day ( My new job starts on April 1st) so i am giving a bit more than 2 weeks. What is the proper etiquette in cases like this?

Thanks!
Take it first. Some companies won't pay out your vacation days if you take them withhin the 2 week notice time frame.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment