Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2013, 09:32 AM

10 posts, read 12,942 times

Advertisements

Quote:
I've been on both sides of the phone. What I loved is when I shut out a sales person and they tried to go around me to the owner. The owner then railed on the sales person and said that I had already made a decision, why are they calling back? Plus what was fun about this job is that we had free reign to harass cold callers. We would keep them on the phone asking dumb questions, speaking to them in a made up language, make them regret the time they just wasted calling us. Caller ID was a great help, especially when you received out of state calls and they told you that they were calling from a local company. We would ask them where their office was, what was the weather like today or something that only a local would know. Then ask them why they lied about being local.
grmi66 That's just plain ugly. Some of us are out to make a living at what we're doing and cold calling is the method of choice. How could you do that to another human being? Every business started by doing some form of cold calling. Why couldn't you say "Thanks, but we're all set. Have a nice day"? You should be ashamed of yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2013, 10:40 AM

606 posts, read 903,657 times
I wouldn't say I would check to see if he was available. Just skip to asking what the call is in regard to. Can you transfer calls you aren't sure of into Manager Bob's voicemail instead of connecting the call? Ask Bob if that is a workable solution. I understand your pain. I answer the phones for a large corporation and I deal with all the sales calls. Some of the tactics used to get past me to the decision maker, are stunning.

Old 03-13-2013, 11:05 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
Go to you tube and look up some of Tom Mabe's phone ideas. It will make taking phone calls like this a lot of fun.

How to deal with a Telemarketer by Tom Mabe - YouTube

Old 03-13-2013, 11:34 AM

3,549 posts, read 6,664,675 times
We have caller ID on our business phones, and all of our numbers are listed on the Do Not Call registry.

If I don't know your number when you call in, you go to voice mail. If you are soliciting, then your number gets blocked in our phone system.

Old 03-13-2013, 11:38 AM

874 posts, read 1,659,898 times
I think there's some great advice in this thread. I would be as direct as possible with the people that call and transfer to voicemail if possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Go to you tube and look up some of Tom Mabe's phone ideas. It will make taking phone calls like this a lot of fun.

How to deal with a Telemarketer by Tom Mabe - YouTube
I didn't find this funny. Not only was it really nasty, but it was homophobic and racist. Thanks for letting me know who to avoid listening to.

Old 03-13-2013, 11:48 AM

3,822 posts, read 9,477,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourcesc View Post
grmi66 That's just plain ugly. Some of us are out to make a living at what we're doing and cold calling is the method of choice. How could you do that to another human being? Every business started by doing some form of cold calling. Why couldn't you say "Thanks, but we're all set. Have a nice day"? You should be ashamed of yourself.
I'm in sales as well, cold calling people that don't know you to sell them something is what I used to do 20 years ago. But because I was in sales before this job I was a sucker for a good sales pitch. If it was good I would listen. For a legitimate need that our business had, I would give them 30 seconds.

But if they were selling credit card processing, insurance, phone book ads, magazine ads, commercial finance, ad specialties or something else similar they got the treatment. If you work for a business you get on average 10-20 solicitation phone calls a day. Cold calls kept me from doing my job. What made me mad is people would cold call me and say that they were experts in working with companies in my industry. If you are an expert why are you calling me on Monday morning when it's the busiest time of the week for me? You are blocking a call from someone trying to give our company money.

Old 03-13-2013, 12:42 PM

606 posts, read 903,657 times
I don't understand the purpose in cold calling these days especially with information available about companies from an easy internet search. Maybe it's because I've never been in sales.

Sales calls (cold calls more so) are very frustrating for our business, and yes we do sales here as well. There are good ways to makes those calls though and a SLEW of bad ones(99% of the calls we get). I've been lied to, called names, been threatened with being fired, etc. for refusing to put through calls. It's your job as the sales person to make the calls to the business, you must also understand that it is the job of the person answering the phone, to keep your call from getting through especially when you're calling our executive team.

We have a specific process we follow for new business. The people willing to follow that process get the business.

Old 03-13-2013, 02:14 PM

4,792 posts, read 8,189,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
Jim Bob needs to call out the caller. "Why did you tell pixie I know why you are calling? I don't even know who you are."
I know that is the way sales people have to make a living.. How ever if they lied to my assistant I would not pick up their call. Tell them I'm in conference.

Old 03-13-2013, 03:55 PM

92 posts, read 267,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourcesc View Post
Pixie1000 how would a sales caller share what he or she has available to Manager Jim Bob. You never know if it might be something he's looking for. It's a double edged sword for which I'd love to get an answer.

You see, I'm on the other side, I'm a salesman caller. I work with a large reputable well-established insurance firm that has benefited many thousands of business. I lament the fact that the only way my company has to get to the decision maker is by attempting to build a relationship starting with a cold call. It ain't the best of systems but it's all we've got. Unless you can tell me another way to grab Manager Jim Bob's attention, I'm going to keep dialing and you'll be getting those kinds of calls.

Your thoughts would be appreciated. What else is going to work with Jim Bob?
I am an assistant and haven been for over 15 years. I'm telling you that there is not one boss or company for which I've worked that has responded positively to a cold call. Not one.

Usually, salesmen get our business if it is something my boss decided we need and then asks me to research vendors, put out an RFP...etc. Then, I usually will listen to sales pitches. Otherwise, nope.

Old 03-14-2013, 08:35 AM

10 posts, read 12,942 times
I appreciate all of the input here and the perspective from the other side. Very informative. Of course a sales call is an interruption to you, but even your companies have sales people out on the streets, beating the bushes, to drum up business. How did they get introduced to their clients, the people who pay your salary?

What would you suggest to open a dialog with a decision maker? If we waited for your bosses to come to us we’d all be somewhere on a bread line. Sometimes it takes a brief explanation to peak an interest. Your bosses can’t possibly know of every innovative product or technique that may benefit the company unless someone is permitted an approach.

I can’t tell you the number of clients whose lives I have altered for the better because I was persistent. What if what I was selling really could make a difference for the company? What if the answer to your bosses’ prayers was in the cold call you laughingly turned away?

So, make a suggestion how to get an audience with your boss. We’re not the enemy. We have products and services that work. What would be a successful way to approach your company?

RICK
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment