Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2013, 04:21 PM

29,823 posts, read 24,902,718 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
Pay for a trade will be less in rural areas compared to urban.
Yes, but COL can eat up much of the gains. I can do fine on 14/hr in rural Michigan, where property taxes are practically nothing, insurance is cheap, you can grow your own food, etc. You sure aren't living a life of luxury on 50K where I live. Basically, in each situation, you are getting by without much issue. Depending on the trade, migrant laborers are killing wages in the city as well, while they haven't collected in large numbers in many rural parts of the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2013, 05:17 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,520,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Yes, but COL can eat up much of the gains. I can do fine on 14/hr in rural Michigan, where property taxes are practically nothing, insurance is cheap, you can grow your own food, etc. You sure aren't living a life of luxury on 50K where I live. Basically, in each situation, you are getting by without much issue. Depending on the trade, migrant laborers are killing wages in the city as well, while they haven't collected in large numbers in many rural parts of the country.
I was just pointing it out. It all depends on the specific area really.

Old 04-06-2013, 07:46 PM

51 posts, read 101,165 times
Quote:
Sure, we'll bail out your mortgage and just pass the cost along to the wealthy.
The Poor Wealthy!!......I'm crying crocodile tears!!.....What about the Government that spends Trillions on useless wars???.....god forbid they should spend money to help their own people

Old 04-06-2013, 07:51 PM

105 posts, read 144,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunwilt View Post
The Poor Wealthy!!......I'm crying crocodile tears!!.....What about the Government that spends Trillions on useless wars???.....god forbid they should spend money to help their own people

Old 04-20-2013, 08:25 AM

3,739 posts, read 4,635,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonylu View Post
Maybe the american dream didn't "die". Perhaps it just evolved to the tastes of different people. To some it's rising up the ranks of the corporate ladder. To others it's doing what they love. To still others it's having a family or owning a nice house.

Old 04-20-2013, 10:41 AM

650 posts, read 1,812,056 times
I believe the new american dream is to quit your job and punch your boss in the face. At least that's my dream.

Old 04-20-2013, 08:15 PM

29,823 posts, read 24,902,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nudetypist View Post
I believe the new american dream is to quit your job and punch your boss in the face. At least that's my dream.
Why would you want to physically assault the person who gave you a means to support yourself? If this is the American dream, than it's no wonder all the jobs are leaving the country.

Old 04-20-2013, 08:23 PM

2,687 posts, read 7,409,152 times
Exclamation yup...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourcesc View Post
The American Dream is dead only if you say it is dead. It's all too easy to give up, call it quits and leave your destiny up to the so called 5%'er. That's not for me. What a bunch of whiners. You guys sound like modern day peasants working for a feudal lord trudging to and from work without an original thought in you head. Grow some stones, stand up for your heritage, make the signers of the Declaration of Independence proud to have done so! Economic depression is NOT about money, it's about mindset. You get what you put your attention to. If you say we've gone to hell in a hand basket, then we have. If you say there are still ways to live the American Dream then there are ways. The choice is up to you. Choose wisely.
ditto, ditto, ditto, ditto, ditto.....

Old 04-20-2013, 08:34 PM

9,000 posts, read 10,177,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nudetypist View Post
Lmao
Actually my boss is ok- it's the coworkers I wanna punch in the face

Old 04-20-2013, 11:15 PM

2,135 posts, read 4,273,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Why would you want to physically assault the person who gave you a means to support yourself? If this is the American dream, than it's no wonder all the jobs are leaving the country.
Ever had a job? I get what your saying, but it isn't unheard of nowadays to get fired after 20 years because your "too old" or they just want someone younger who they can pay 1/5 of the pay. I wouldn't suggest punching your boss, but when you get screwed out of your job for no reason punching your boss might come to mind.

They keep micro-managing where I work. It is beyond ridiculous. Our manager can't do anything anymore because she is so micro-managed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment