Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2013, 09:29 PM

4,400 posts, read 13,380,216 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyDude75 View Post
When you get paid, the first thing that comes out of the check is money for transportation
Pretty much.

MORE things come up when you are making no money because you are not working. My budget includes money for rent, food, and gas to and from work...off the top. Then savings and bills. Anything left over I take an honest look at, evaluate what I need, what I can afford, and what "play money" I want for the week. Once that is done, I then put a little more into savings and pay an extra bit toward the bills...being a month ahead on the electric or cable bill really helps out if something happens and I find myself short...

I also have a significant amount in savings, but I am off the mindset that once it is in savings, the money no longer exists. It is emergency money, and ONLY once all other funding options have been exhausted. So, if I am short, it is not because I do not have the money, it is because something happened to the budget that month. And that is when being ahead on one of the bills helps, as I can skip that bill that month and use the money to close the gap. Bills paid, all good, savings untouched.

Last edited by thebunny; 03-13-2013 at 10:05 PM..

Old 03-13-2013, 09:54 PM

2,570 posts, read 7,730,679 times
Is this a full time job?

Old 03-14-2013, 12:04 AM

7,629 posts, read 16,427,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth11 View Post
Job is over 10 miles away so most likely not on the bike,and when my car was down I was getting a lift but I think it might've been a bit of a burden on others plus I only saved a few dollars a day by doing that.
Get a bus pass....

Old 03-14-2013, 12:56 AM

6,345 posts, read 8,097,079 times
If you can't afford tolls, leave 30 minutes earlier.

If your transportation costs are more than your net pay, quit your job.

Old 03-14-2013, 01:14 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,082,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paka View Post
Get a bus pass....
That doesn't work everywhere.

Old 03-14-2013, 01:15 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,082,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebunny View Post
Sounds like it is time for more cuts so you can afford to get to work. I guarantee there is one non-essential that you have in your budget that, by removing it, you would get the money to get to work.
I'd guess more than one.

Old 03-14-2013, 01:47 AM
Status: "Wishing all the best of health and peace!" (set 16 days ago)

43,507 posts, read 44,227,951 times
Is there no public transportation option or perhaps you can get a ride with someone temporarily?

Old 03-14-2013, 02:14 AM

432 posts, read 1,226,502 times
Quote:
Things come up.
Reading this post and what you said "Things come up", I've lost any sympathy for you that I had at the beginning of the post.

If you have an actual budget plan and keep to your budget, things rarely come up, unless its medical or an emergency situation which you have not indicated at all in this post.

When you get your pay you should put away for transportation first as you need to keep the job. Then comes shelter, food etc like other posters say.

Things come up. What are those "things"?, Alcohol? Cigarettes? Entertainment? Fast Food? Buying games? whatever... These are all things that you should cut out of your daily life as it seriously sounds like you can not afford it.

Buy yourself a cheap bike and ride the 10-15 miles each way. Or if you can't ride a bike you stated before that you take the bus, well put aside your pay to buy your bus tickets.

Old 03-14-2013, 05:58 AM

1,201 posts, read 1,922,117 times
The OP also mentioned that he is running out of things to pawn. Most people don't go around pawning their stuff when they have disposable income for non-necessities. Sounds to me like he has ran into several not so lucky situations all at once (he mentioned his pay was cut, I believe). Or he's a crack addict. Either way, I don't envy him!

Old 03-14-2013, 06:04 AM

1,463 posts, read 3,262,188 times
Quote:
Kind of embarrassing but has it ever happened to you? It's happened a couple times recently,and one may have cost me reputation with a company...
But I can't think of a way to tell my boss,so I just say I need to take a day off...which obviously hurts because I get backlash from him too...
There are all kinds of options that might not cost as much as putting gas in your vehicle. Can you bike to work? How about car pooling with someone?? Is it too expensive to take a bus, or a cab?? Unless you are presently paying a mortgage can you move closer to work?
The next thing is, why haven't you discussed the lack of money to pay for gas with your boss?? could it be that he/she isn't paying you enough to be able to afford to get there? Maybe its time a frank discussion was had with your boss.
Oh, and yes, I have been in the position of not having enough cash to get back and forth to work so I use to cash in bottles and put whatever I got from that into my vehicle. I was a single Mom and was traveling 12 miles one way to work daily in an old beat up Pontiac. Eventually, I saved enough cash for a downpayment on a new car that got better gas mileage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.