Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2013, 10:06 AM

12,773 posts, read 14,978,563 times

Advertisements

I know someone who has not only been out of work for quite a while due to the plain difficulty of getting a job, but also due to a medical issue (with his hernia). He was finally able to have surgery to fix his issue. When he's ready to apply for jobs & they're going to ask why he's been out of work for so long, what's the BEST WORDING to say to not make himself look bad?

He recently had hernia surgery, which I know is very common among most men. I'm sure if there's stats out there, I'd think 60-70% of men have had some kind of hernia issue before. However, I don't think he should have to reveal that he's actually had hernia surgery & if they ask what type of medical issue, I believe even then, he should say a minor issue & to make sure he says BUT EVERYTHING'S BACK TO NORMAL NOW.

If he doesn't mention the medical issue at all, it looks bad that he's been out of work for so long, but if he mentions the medical issue, I don't see how that would help the situation either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2013, 12:04 PM

2,430 posts, read 5,579,956 times
Unless it was the reason he left/lost his last job (only if his job was physical and had to do with lifting), I wouldn't bring it up at all. In this job market, many people have been out of work a long time -- he's just one more. It might make the interviewer uncomfortable if he brings it up -- TMI and all that.

Old 03-15-2013, 01:28 AM

1,201 posts, read 1,924,753 times
I had a medical condition related to pregnancy that put me out of work for a year. I have put that on job applications (it was a reason I lost a job), and I have gotten jobs since then, with no questions asked. I make a point to word it on my resume in a way that demonstrates that it was caused by pregnancy and is not a medical condition that will likely happen again or affect my work performance.

Old 03-15-2013, 03:42 AM

432 posts, read 1,228,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
I know someone who has not only been out of work for quite a while due to the plain difficulty of getting a job, but also due to a medical issue (with his hernia). He was finally able to have surgery to fix his issue. When he's ready to apply for jobs & they're going to ask why he's been out of work for so long, what's the BEST WORDING to say to not make himself look bad?

He recently had hernia surgery, which I know is very common among most men. I'm sure if there's stats out there, I'd think 60-70% of men have had some kind of hernia issue before. However, I don't think he should have to reveal that he's actually had hernia surgery & if they ask what type of medical issue, I believe even then, he should say a minor issue & to make sure he says BUT EVERYTHING'S BACK TO NORMAL NOW.

If he doesn't mention the medical issue at all, it looks bad that he's been out of work for so long, but if he mentions the medical issue, I don't see how that would help the situation either.
For your friend ---
If you don't want to lie (which I wouldn't), tell them that you had some medical conditions that you had to overcome and you are now healthy and needing to get back into the workforce. Empathize that the medical condition that you had will not effect the job that you are able to do.

Use positive wording; "I previously had a medical condition and it took a few months/years to improve my health so I did not work during that time. I am now a very healthy person and my past medical condition will not affect my work."

Don't share with them what the medical conditions were/are, it's none of their business and they may even discriminate against you, thinking you might not be able to do the job without having the medical conditions affect your work.

If the interviewer asks what the medical condition was, just smile and politely say that it was a past medical condition and it will not effect your work. In the next sentence say something to divert off that subject, ie "My positive attitude and people skills would make..." If they insist then you can say that it is a private matter that you don't want to share. If it came to that I wouldn't even want to take that job.

I would think that if you do have any qualifications that you may need to first update them. Try temp agencies first to get your foot in the door and you may find you may not be able to handle full time employment at this time if you are still managing your medical conditions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment