Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2013, 07:59 PM

1,201 posts, read 1,924,908 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Jeez, how do all these young folks end up on SSI? Seriously, America has got to be the only country where you can get something by contributing absolutely nothing but utter dependency. Seriously, go flip some burgers or something to at least get some actual work experience.

I'm not trying to be mean, but I have screwed up in my life too. I made some awful choices in my youth, had run ins with the law when I was in my teens, did some things I am ashamed of today. Guess what... You screw up, you learn, and you move on. Don't use it as an excuse for your lack of success. Don't use it as a prequalifier for a handout. Use it as motivation to better yourself. Make it your mission to do something positive in this world. You have the advantage of seeing how crappy your actions can make your life.

You're 30. You've never had a job. SO WHAT! Go do some menial work that will afford some sliver of an opportunity to climb the ladder. Go in every day and work like you mean it. Observe the hardest working person on that crew. Make it your mission to work 150% as hard as them. If you make a few enemies in the process, you're doing something right.

And if you think I'm mean, you haven't seen anything yet. I've worked for some downright nasty slave drivers. They also instilled some important traits that helped me latter on in life. Some of the meanest bosses happened to be mean for a reason. They wouldn't waste their time being mean unless they saw something in you worth molding. They also unloaded everything they had to offer with regards to skills and knowledge. You don't get something for nothing in this world.
Have you had a mental illness? If not, you have no clue how hard doing even the simplest things in life can be. Just sayin.

The OP is a person who could likely live off the dole the rest of his/her life and is choosing not to, despite whatever extra difficulties he/she will have to endure. A post like yours is just unnecessary for this thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2013, 08:18 PM

29,823 posts, read 24,908,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soanchorless View Post
Have you had a mental illness? If not, you have no clue how hard doing even the simplest things in life can be. Just sayin.

The OP is a person who could likely live off the dole the rest of his/her life and is choosing not to, despite whatever extra difficulties he/she will have to endure. A post like yours is just unnecessary for this thread.
ADHD? I've had a doctor try to convince me of that. Even if I had/have it, giving up is never an option. It just means you have to work that much harder to solve your issues. I've also had a doctor try to convince me I was suffering from anxiety and depression. Keep the pills, I'll deal with my issues myself. And it certainly was no excuse for me to screw up.

There weren't masses of young people being told they had ADHD 30 years ago. Parents nipped them in the butt and told them to straighten up and fly right. Now adays, everyone needs a hug and an excuse.

Go visit a major city and converse with the local panhandlers if you want to see mental illness. That's how our country deals with real mental illnesses unfortunately. The people who really need it never get the help they need, and deserve.

If the OP has a mental illness, and wants to work, I can guaranteed they will find limited sympathies with their potential employers. They will be expected to work hard and contribute just like any other employee. If the OP wants to make it in this world, they are going to have to figure out a way to overcome those obstacles. You might be kind and considerate, but the world really is a competitive, and often times cruel place.

Old 03-15-2013, 08:20 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
for the bipolars getting a job is not hard, they got the personality and smarts to do so. its keeping one that is a bear. you gota stay on your meds that is the hard part.

Old 03-15-2013, 09:11 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,564,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unsw1tchd View Post
Technically, I live in Vestal, NY. So, Ithaca is about 30-45 mins from me. I just looked up some program associated w/ the SSI place called "Ticket To Work." I'm definitely gonna look into that first thing on Monday, since they're closed on weekends. I'm sure they have something within that field, and I don't mind having to start low. I mean, if I was able to obtain a GED within only 4 months, I'm sure I'd have no issue on the next step
I don't know if this is viable, but you are such a good age to be taught, hands on. You also have a great attitude. I'm thinking maybe a painters apprentice, or autmotive work. Often owners or managers like a person that they can train to do things their way. You'd be perfect. Maybe find a business you'd like to work with, and offer yourself for a couple weeks without pay, just because you are eager to get some experience and to learn a trade. It's worth a try. What's the worst that can happen? They say no.
Maybe even approach a chef that specializes in something that appeals to you, and ask if you could just watch him. Maybe he'd ask you to assist him in some way. You get to know some people, and when an opening comes up, they call you.
You're really smart to reach out to people on this forum. I think it will happen for you, I really hope so.

Old 03-16-2013, 02:26 AM

3,199 posts, read 7,827,529 times
Quote:
I'd love a restaurant job, cuz I'm pretty good at cooking obviously the basic home stuff, and I've always wanted learn more about it and perhaps have a chef career. However, the only major they have at Broome Community College in food/business is Hotel/Restaurant Management. If that's somewhat related??

Also, I'm meeting up w/ a vocational service place in Binghamton on Tuesday. Not VESID. Something else.. I know the person above said the vocational stuff was a disaster. But do they help find jobs related in a person's field of interest??

Hi

Hotel/Restaurant Management is different then a Culinary degree where you would be employed as a chef. That is great you are meeting with the vocational service. I am not sure if they would be able to help you with jobs but you could ask and I would think they could help you with some direction. I would ask if the community college has a job site where employers list openings. As for getting a job at a restaurant with no experience I think it is very possible. What I encourage you to do is to go into places and aks if they are hiring. Even at lets say a deli doing prep work of salads and sandwiches. If they say no but allow you to fill out an application that is a good start. Then I would call them in a week or so and follow up.

Old 03-16-2013, 02:34 AM

110 posts, read 330,730 times
Quote:
ADHD? I've had a doctor try to convince me of that. Even if I had/have it, giving up is never an option. It just means you have to work that much harder to solve your issues. I've also had a doctor try to convince me I was suffering from anxiety and depression. Keep the pills, I'll deal with my issues myself. And it certainly was no excuse for me to screw up.

There weren't masses of young people being told they had ADHD 30 years ago. Parents nipped them in the butt and told them to straighten up and fly right. Now adays, everyone needs a hug and an excuse.

Go visit a major city and converse with the local panhandlers if you want to see mental illness. That's how our country deals with real mental illnesses unfortunately. The people who really need it never get the help they need, and deserve.

If the OP has a mental illness, and wants to work, I can guaranteed they will find limited sympathies with their potential employers. They will be expected to work hard and contribute just like any other employee. If the OP wants to make it in this world, they are going to have to figure out a way to overcome those obstacles. You might be kind and considerate, but the world really is a competitive, and often times cruel place.
The OP hasn't given up...he's actively looking for a job!

You don't seem to grasp the concept that things which may seem routine to you become very difficult for somebody dealing with mental illness or cognitive development issues.

You're right, their weren't masses of people being told they had ADHD years ago...people just assumed they were stupid or messed up. Now we know how to identify it and treat it so that people who deal with it can live their lives to the fullest.

Your point about panhandlers is really about the way those in poverty are treated...it is not the same thing as mental illness. Plenty of wealthy people with mental illness get effective treatment.

The only thing I will agree with you is that employers don't give two s**ts about mental illness...but that is the unfortunate world we live in where mental illness is completely misrepresented to the general public. It's people like you who are perpetuating this misinformed view.

Old 03-16-2013, 03:23 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,418,524 times
Quote:
Jeez, how do all these young folks end up on SSI? Seriously, America has got to be the only country where you can get something by contributing absolutely nothing but utter dependency. Seriously, go flip some burgers or something to at least get some actual work experience.

I'm not trying to be mean, but I have screwed up in my life too. I made some awful choices in my youth, had run ins with the law when I was in my teens, did some things I am ashamed of today. Guess what... You screw up, you learn, and you move on. Don't use it as an excuse for your lack of success. Don't use it as a prequalifier for a handout. Use it as motivation to better yourself. Make it your mission to do something positive in this world. You have the advantage of seeing how crappy your actions can make your life.

You're 30. You've never had a job. SO WHAT! Go do some menial work that will afford some sliver of an opportunity to climb the ladder. Go in every day and work like you mean it. Observe the hardest working person on that crew. Make it your mission to work 150% as hard as them. If you make a few enemies in the process, you're doing something right.

And if you think I'm mean, you haven't seen anything yet. I've worked for some downright nasty slave drivers. They also instilled some important traits that helped me latter on in life. Some of the meanest bosses happened to be mean for a reason. They wouldn't waste their time being mean unless they saw something in you worth molding. They also unloaded everything they had to offer with regards to skills and knowledge. You don't get something for nothing in this world.

I'm glad I came across your comment. I was beginning to think I was the only one who thought the OP and the other young SSDI recipients are just lazy bums using their anti-social behaviors as a crutch.

Old 03-16-2013, 06:56 AM

1,923 posts, read 2,410,115 times
Well, it's like I just said. When folks hear "SSI" they automatically assume the worst. It's one of the reasons why the safety net system in this country is so screwed up. This kind of ignorance doesn't help anyone, it only makes things worse. There's no real incentives for people who want to change their lives, just alot of ignorance and misunderstandings. We don't want to live on handouts forever, I don't, we are just stuck between a rock and a hard place.

Old 03-16-2013, 11:59 AM

3,563 posts, read 5,377,574 times
Default C. N. Tech is stressful work, but

Quote:
As for college, yes. I have plans for full-time enrollment at Broome Community College to major in Computer Network Technology. I like computers and it IS listed as a "career-path" major. I know it's alotta classes that kinda take up mostly the whole day, but I know it'd be worth it. But for full-time enrollment, I'd still most likely do some volunteer work or anything part-time on the side if I have enough time to do both school and work. So yes, you all DEFINITELY have some very good advice. I highly appreciate it
What are you really,really interested in? if it is C.N.Tech and you have an understanding of what that really means I'd suggest you start somewhere p.t. :Example: we have a computer recycling group in Calgary. They dismantle or reuse all sorts of computers. The last time I dropped by it was a mix of new immigrants, students, people of all ages and there were Apple comps., servers, tech. stuff of all kinds.

Start there and see where your interest takes you. Or start the project yourself and apply for a grant.
Remember that the japanese guy that came up with the first true led didn't have a Ph.D. at the time and recycled everything because he worked for a small community college in Japan! So he knew the practical and the theoretical and had to do it the hard way, without money!

Old 03-16-2013, 03:13 PM

264 posts, read 280,519 times
You gotta make the money first. Then when you get the money, you get the power. Then when you get the power, then you get the women.

Wait, that's Scarface, not me. Nevermind, sorry. Good luck with the job search!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment