Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2013, 04:36 PM

109 posts, read 201,999 times

Advertisements

Since you love cooking, why not check out culinary school? How about getting an auto mechanic certification? They can be decent living and a lot of hand on courses..

Yes, I know someone that has ADHD and is junior in college with a 3.9 GPA...seeking therapist/shrink is a first place. Also, quit drinking. A lot of them has tendency to rely on alcohol or cigs addiction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2013, 08:25 AM

21,463 posts, read 10,564,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parried View Post
It never worked out for me because they expected me to be able to find a job without having transportation.
Based on the two posts I've read from you so far, you seem to have a lot of negativity. Employers are "sociopaths," and now people expected you to find a job without transportation. What job do you expect to get without transportation? Do you actually think there are jobs out there where the boss will pick you up and bring you to work? If you don't have transportation, either arrange for a friend or family member to give you a ride, or find a bus route that can get you closest to the job site. Lots of poor people do this without complaint.

I can see you are young and possibly discouraged right now, but change your outlook and you may find a job. Attitude is everything.

Old 04-09-2013, 04:23 PM

1,923 posts, read 2,409,462 times
You might want to go back and read my posts a little better because you don't seem to understand what I was implying. The rehab commission wanted me to find a job without transportation, and I can't do that. I know I need transportation. I don't expect anyone to pick me up. I won't have a car until a few more months have passed. Seems like you are just doing what everybody else does. Trying to blame me for everything.

Old 04-09-2013, 09:43 PM

Quote:
You might want to go back and read my posts a little better because you don't seem to understand what I was implying. The rehab commission wanted me to find a job without transportation, and I can't do that. I know I need transportation. I don't expect anyone to pick me up. I won't have a car until a few more months have passed. Seems like you are just doing what everybody else does. Trying to blame me for everything.
I thought I was giving constructive criticism, not blaming. And yet, you proved my point in the last sentence.

Old 04-10-2013, 05:35 AM

You said I think I don't need transportation. You had it backwards. I know I need transportation.

Old 04-10-2013, 04:32 PM

Quote:
You said I think I don't need transportation. You had it backwards. I know I need transportation.
Actually, what I said was that if you don't have transportation arrange for someone to take you to work or find a bus to get as close as possible.

Really, I'm not trying to criticize you. You seem really young and discouraged, so I was trying to give you some helpful advice. I was in your shoes at one time, and I got marketable skills and a job very quickly thereafter. I've even taken off work for a couple of years here and there, but easily found a job when I decided to go back to work even in this economy, because of my skills and contacts in the industry. But I was right where you are. Interviewing for many different jobs and getting rejected, didn't have a car or even a permanent residence because my stepdad kicked me out of the house at 19. Luckily my mom helped me get into a tech school, though I had to pay back the loans after graduation. After that I was on my own and doing pretty well for myself. Someone gave me encouragement and a leg up, for which I am eternally grateful.

Old 04-10-2013, 04:48 PM

Again, public transportation doesn't cut it. It only comes at certain times. I have to put on my application times that I would be able to work which would be limited hours and days (for instance, NO SUNDAYS).

Who's a better applicant? Someone with no commitments or someone who can only work 3 days a week?

Understand?

I don't even get interviews. My applications don't even get acknowledged.

Old 04-10-2013, 04:49 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,013,252 times
I just wanted to post encouragement. I'm excited for you getting your GED and going to college.

Don't give up SSI until you're done with your education. You don't need the additional stress of supporting yourself while at school.

Find a part-time college student type job that earns what SSI allows you to earn without losing benefits until you're done with your education.

Old 04-10-2013, 05:59 PM

1,201 posts, read 1,924,229 times
Quote:
Again, public transportation doesn't cut it. It only comes at certain times. I have to put on my application times that I would be able to work which would be limited hours and days (for instance, NO SUNDAYS).

Who's a better applicant? Someone with no commitments or someone who can only work 3 days a week?

Understand?

I don't even get interviews. My applications don't even get acknowledged.
I know what you are saying. I had to wait to get a car to apply to many jobs after I applied to all within walking/biking distance. And all those within walking/biking distance didn't hire me. The bus here only runs 9-5 M-F and there are really no jobs that I qualify for that will hire me with that availability. And I know no one who would give me a ride. That is a big commitment, to drive someone to work and pick them up every day. And if you show up on a bike or someone drops you off, the first thing they will ask is if you have reliable transportation. You tell them you are willing to bike five miles to work everyday or someone is giving you a ride and they will pass you up for someone who has a car.

But do keep your chin up!! You can make it, although I realize everything seems hopeless now.

Old 04-10-2013, 06:41 PM

300 posts, read 1,136,589 times
Try getting a retail job to build your work history and volunteer in a hospital. Also take a couple of classes at your local JC to transfer up to university. Some employers may not believe that you've never had a job before so be aware of that. Maybe join the military. Let us know how things turn out for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment