U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2013, 01:09 PM

23 posts, read 68,149 times

Advertisements

I'll try to make this sound as confident as possible, since I'll admit I'm a bit freaked out over here, but I'll go ahead and explain anyway..

I live in the 607, Broome County area. I'm almost 30 and I have ADHD and bi-polar, eventhough I have much better control of the bi-polar now, which is good. I've been the unambitious type and lived on SSI my whole life and have absolutely no work experience. I was basically just doing dumb typical stuff throughout my youth, had quite a few run-ins w/ the law and served a year of probation. Now mind you, I only had a couple misdomeanors. No felonies or anything that bad. I look back on my past and I'm completely ashamed and not proud of it, so now that I'm almost 30, I just wanna change all that and make myself a more ambitious independent individual. So now, to start off w/ making a 180 on myself to be a much better ambitious individual, I quit drinking completely, started working out and in much better shape then I ever was, and I just got my GED, so I can hopefully use it as a ticket to the workforce entry, and I wanna know what I could do w/ it. I mean, is it too late for me to start working at my age and make something of myself??? Could a GED help, even for someone w/ no work experience??? I stated that I have ADHD, which I now use for something good now, such as motivation and extra energy.

And please, no disrespectful or smartass comments. This is very serious to me, and all I wanna do is perform a 180 on my life, find a good job and want absolutely NOTHING to do w/ my negative past anymore

Last edited by unsw1tchd; 03-14-2013 at 01:22 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2013, 01:35 PM

110 posts, read 292,173 times
Have you been to your local job placement office? maybe they can help.

Also, try volunteering at some places that can give you job skills. For example, Salvation Army will get you customer interaction and cash handling, which you can then use in a shop. Habitat for Humanity could give you construction, loading/unloading experience, which you can use to get a job at FedEx or something.

Those are just a few suggestions. Do you have any plans for community college?

Old 03-14-2013, 02:05 PM

1,202 posts, read 1,668,791 times
Since you are already getting SSI, I am going to assume you would qualify for financial aid for college. If you can wing it with ADHD/bi-polar, I would continue on to a community college instead of trying to get a job right away. While going to school, try to do some volunteer work on a regular basis, like 10 to 20 hours a week if you can manage. I probably would try to do something like volunteer at a library or a non-profit that will offer you experience in something that will be a more valuable skill (slightly better paying) than working in retail or hard labor type work. However, if that's all you can find, go with that. But make sure you go above and beyond while doing this volunteer work and impress the people who manage you...no tardies, no missing work you committed to, etc.

College degree + applicable volunteer experience with good references = a good chance of finding a decent job.

Otherwise, if you just jump into the workforce now, working a low paying job that only requires a GED, you'll likely end up in a dead-end position and it will be hard to get out of that situation.

Old 03-14-2013, 02:47 PM

4,791 posts, read 13,200,502 times
SSI + no work experience = probably $660 a month. I know someone like that and he also gets $300 in food stamps.

I'd try getting any job + going to community college at night. You pick the degree.

Old 03-14-2013, 04:02 PM

10,607 posts, read 13,135,231 times
I agree with the above posters about college while getting a very basic job so you can get a better education and skills as to increase the potential income. You sound like you are putting in serious effort into changing things, having quit drinking and getting in shape. That's a thing that cannot really be taught and having drive and ambition are a big help. Often its the first chapter of this that is hardest because we are afraid effort will not yield results. Once one sees some positive results it gets a lot easier to press forward.

Volunteering to get started is good advice while putting in applications. Once a job is obtained put 100% into it to maintain employment and proceed from there while going to school. Good luck with everything OP.

Old 03-14-2013, 04:30 PM

As for college, yes. I have plans for full-time enrollment at Broome Community College to major in Computer Network Technology. I like computers and it IS listed as a "career-path" major. I know it's alotta classes that kinda take up mostly the whole day, but I know it'd be worth it. But for full-time enrollment, I'd still most likely do some volunteer work or anything part-time on the side if I have enough time to do both school and work. So yes, you all DEFINITELY have some very good advice. I highly appreciate it

Old 03-14-2013, 09:00 PM

1,923 posts, read 2,069,262 times
I'm 23 and I get SSI. NOTHING else. I have a clean record, and I've been trying to find my place in life for a long time. Obviously I don't want to live on SSI forever, but I'm not sure what I can do when I live in a country that is collapsing. I do have some work history, but nothing to write home about. I also have a GED, and you know what? I've been looking for a part time or full time job since I was 18. I have no skills, but the jobs I've been going after don't require any. So why don't I have a job? I blame it on the fact that there's too much competition and most employers nowadays are sociopaths. There's also alot of politics involved with hiring in most companies now. I'm done wasting my time with online applications and all that garbage. It was a system setup by sociopaths, to find and hire fellow sociopaths. There's people getting these jobs who don't even have to look fill out an application for crying out loud. I am only going to devote my time to finding a crappy job for so much longer and if nothing comes up of it I will just have to take financial aid. I've gone through vocational rehabilitation services for almost a year, for people with disabilities. It was almost a disaster. All I was able to get out of that was my drivers license, which I treasure dearly.

It's hard to find people in similar situations as mine, maybe you can keep in touch with me. Usually when someone hears "SSI" they automatically think you are a lazy person leeching off society. They don't understand that some of us have disabilities and we need help to get on our feet, and most of us WANT TO WORK, but aren't given a fair chance.

But like I said, I don't want to live on a handout my whole life. Sometimes I get overwhelmed by it all. I see things differently then alot of people, it's part of having A.S..

Old 03-15-2013, 02:49 AM

3,047 posts, read 6,576,174 times
I agree about the volunteering. I wonder if you looked for volunteer work in lets say an office doing light computer or receptionist skills that it could help you get a job because it would also give you experience? You could also look into restaurant work because they may start you off at a prep job. On the school front the community college sounds good and they often have a job board where people who are attending can apply for jobs that outside businesses or even individual people are looking for help. The people who are looking may be more willing to hire someone who does not have experience knowing they are working towards a degree.
Good luck and it sounds like you are really trying to build a better life for yourself through the barriers you have and that is great

Old 03-15-2013, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniellaG View Post
I agree about the volunteering. I wonder if you looked for volunteer work in lets say an office doing light computer or receptionist skills that it could help you get a job because it would also give you experience? You could also look into restaurant work because they may start you off at a prep job. On the school front the community college sounds good and they often have a job board where people who are attending can apply for jobs that outside businesses or even individual people are looking for help. The people who are looking may be more willing to hire someone who does not have experience knowing they are working towards a degree.
Good luck and it sounds like you are really trying to build a better life for yourself through the barriers you have and that is great
I'd love a restaurant job, cuz I'm pretty good at cooking obviously the basic home stuff, and I've always wanted learn more about it and perhaps have a chef career. However, the only major they have at Broome Community College in food/business is Hotel/Restaurant Management. If that's somewhat related??

Also, I'm meeting up w/ a vocational service place in Binghamton on Tuesday. Not VESID. Something else.. I know the person above said the vocational stuff was a disaster. But do they help find jobs related in a person's field of interest??

Old 03-15-2013, 06:22 AM

1,923 posts, read 2,069,262 times
It never worked out for me because they expected me to be able to find a job without having transportation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment