Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2013, 09:02 PM

1 posts, read 4,264 times

Advertisements

Just wondering because I went through most of high school but didn't graduate, and with my last job (part time custodian) I probably wrote I graduated. You know, so it sounds better and since that job had nothing to do with graduating high school.

But I've come to a realization: I should be completely honest and I shouldn't write I graduated high school when I didn't. Now I feel bad about it.

But I'm going to be completely honest with any new job application. I'm just wondering... if everything you tell a new employer is true... you're fine with that employer, correct You can't get in trouble with the new employer... assuming they somehow found out you lied to a previous employer, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2013, 09:04 PM

26,338 posts, read 93,474,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xj91 View Post
You can't get in trouble with the new employer... assuming they somehow found out you lied to a previous employer, right?
Depends on what you mean by "trouble". If "trouble" means your current employer would fire you if you he found out you lied to a previous employer, then yes, it is possible you can get into trouble.

Old 03-14-2013, 09:20 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,156 posts, read 80,278,112 times
I agree, but it seems unlikely. Most employers verifying a previous job don't ask what they put on the original application for educational experience. The best thing to do is finish, or get a GED so you can tell the truth.

Old 03-14-2013, 09:59 PM

39 posts, read 182,554 times
Get a GED

Old 03-16-2013, 09:31 PM

18,837 posts, read 37,224,712 times
^^^what he said. I knew a guy who lied about high school on a job application, no problem. Had the job for years, became a supervisor. Then, 9/11....and TSA..he was working for a screening company. And he never did get his diploma. He was offered a TSA job, better pay, fed employment. He failed the background check, no h's diploma.

It is a test. The classes are free, night school for a few months.

Old 03-16-2013, 09:36 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,067,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
^^^what he said. I knew a guy who lied about high school on a job application, no problem. Had the job for years, became a supervisor. Then, 9/11....and TSA..he was working for a screening company. And he never did get his diploma. He was offered a TSA job, better pay, fed employment. He failed the background check, no h's diploma.

It is a test. The classes are free, night school for a few months.
Horrible. You'd think they'd hire him and just tell him to get his diploma. Instead they just rejected him?? Wow.

Old 03-16-2013, 09:40 PM

9,863 posts, read 14,005,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgiraffe View Post
Horrible. You'd think they'd hire him and just tell him to get his diploma. Instead they just rejected him?? Wow.
I certainly could be wrong, but my guess is that he also lied on the TSA application and said he had a HS degree.

Old 03-16-2013, 09:44 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,067,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
I certainly could be wrong, but my guess is that he also lied on the TSA application and said he had a HS degree.
True. However, I was just looking at his work experience. Sometimes that stands out more. Lying is never good though because it ruins your credibility.

Old 03-16-2013, 10:03 PM

26,585 posts, read 61,848,208 times
I wouldn't worry about your next employer finding about about your lie to your last employer. I wouldn't press my luck the next time though. I'd also strongly encourage you to get a GED. You seem like a nice person with some smarts, with a GED you'll have a lot more opportunities to put those traits towards.

Old 03-17-2013, 05:51 AM

112 posts, read 287,178 times
People place far too much emphasis on education. The more work experience you get, the less important education becomes. If there's two applicants for a custodian job, one with a high school diploma and no relevant experience and the other has no diploma and two years experience as a custodian, the guy with the experience will surely get the job every time.

I used to list my education at the top of my resume in huge letters. This was when I had little work experience so at least I could say, "I have a degree". Nobody cared. I was doing jobs that didn't require any education of any sort anyway. Now that I have a lot of work experience, my degree information is buried at the end of my resume after, "Proficient in all Microsoft Office software". It's the experience that people care about.

If you want to get your GED, feel free, but I don't think it will help your job prospects. I've never heard of a job that required a high school diploma outside of films from the 1950s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment