U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2007, 07:38 PM

237 posts, read 780,125 times

Advertisements

Good information from everyone but no one will hire me because of no work record for over 7 years. They assume I was in jail or was working and lied about my background. No references- no job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2007, 10:31 AM

7,160 posts, read 18,444,452 times
You're broke? Easy answer: Starbucks is hiring. Get a job - any job - and figure out the problem with some money in your pocket.

You made a decision, you have to accept the reality that there are consequences. 7 years in IT is a lifetime. If you want to get back into IT, you might have to start alll over again - at the bottom.

Old 10-29-2007, 12:34 PM

1,571 posts, read 2,695,790 times
Is that really what employers think?

I haven't had a job really at all my entire adult life, and I'm 31. I did some volunteer work for a year at the Naval Training Center in Orlando before they closed it down for good. As a teenager I worked in a library for a summer job, the local military base my dad was stationed at had a summer job program and my parents thought it was a good idea, plus I like the library anyways (I used to bicycle to work, this was in the UK, so that was do-able). Other than that, no work record at all. Could this be hampering my ability to find a job, any job? I tell my parents they probably are writing me off as a felon that is lying, and they just laugh at the idea.

What can I do to try and turn things around? I've been looking for a job for over 11 months. My only criteria is I don't want to work cooking meat as I'm a vegetarian (I could work in a checkout, though, or stocking cans in a shelf, and I don't want to have to travel more than 10-12 miles. Even the vegetarian thing might be negotiable, though!

Old 10-29-2007, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnulus View Post
What can I do to try and turn things around? I've been looking for a job for over 11 months. My only criteria is I don't want to work cooking meat as I'm a vegetarian (I could work in a checkout, though, or stocking cans in a shelf, and I don't want to have to travel more than 10-12 miles. Even the vegetarian thing might be negotiable, though!
You must not need the money that bad since you already have placed preconditions on your employment. How many places have you interviewed with? What about landscaping, construction? Are you getting interviews or not?

Old 10-29-2007, 01:57 PM

1,571 posts, read 2,695,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
You must not need the money that bad since you already have placed preconditions on your employment. How many places have you interviewed with? What about landscaping, construction? Are you getting interviews or not?
I got 3 interviews. One of them was for a job driving hundreds of miles a day at 6.50 an hour and $0.26 per mile to do traffic metering. I rejected the job offer because I'd have to provide my own car and that was too much driving for me. The other job was at Office Max and my interview went poorly, I was asked to delay it because some guy came in late for the interview. That was the first real interview I had that I was seriously interested in and I never even got a call back, so I guess I was rejected. I also got a phone interview for 7-11, but I goofed it up by saying I didn't know how long I could be able to work for them- at the time I was considering moving and I said "for a few months at least", and I guess that was the wrong answer. I haven't had an interview in 6 months.

Old 10-29-2007, 02:14 PM

2,830 posts, read 8,904,358 times
Why not be creative with your resume. State that you had the great good fortune of coming into some money (do not mention how much - for many reasons) which allowed you to fulfill a dream of traveling while you were still young enough to do so. Now, you want to be a productive citizen and return to the workplace.

What is your education?
What are your skills?

Old 10-29-2007, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnulus View Post
I got 3 interviews. One of them was for a job driving hundreds of miles a day at 6.50 an hour and $0.26 per mile to do traffic metering. I rejected the job offer because I'd have to provide my own car and that was too much driving for me. The other job was at Office Max and my interview went poorly, I was asked to delay it because some guy came in late for the interview. That was the first real interview I had that I was seriously interested in and I never even got a call back, so I guess I was rejected. I also got a phone interview for 7-11, but I goofed it up by saying I didn't know how long I could be able to work for them- at the time I was considering moving and I said "for a few months at least", and I guess that was the wrong answer. I haven't had an interview in 6 months.
How are you looking? Are you pounding the pavement? You need to be willing to do anything, to work anywhere. No conditions, no job too small or too big. Just get out there, find something, anything, get back into the workforce.

Old 10-31-2007, 05:34 AM

237 posts, read 780,125 times
How are you looking? Are you pounding the pavement? You need to be willing to do anything, to work anywhere. No conditions, no job too small or too big. Just get out there, find something, anything, get back into the workforce.
----------------------------------------------------
Yes, working a job just to make money will be an option but working as a warehouse clerk for minimum wage will not give me the experience and contacts I would need to get a professional job. Instead it will put me in with the working poor in a path of one dead end job after another.

Old 10-31-2007, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodtype View Post
Yes, working a job just to make money will be an option but working as a warehouse clerk for minimum wage will not give me the experience and contacts I would need to get a professional job. Instead it will put me in with the working poor in a path of one dead end job after another.
No, it will put bread on your table and money in your pocket so you have the time to look for a real job and don't reek of desperation to your potential employers.

Old 10-31-2007, 08:42 AM

1 posts, read 3,137 times
my name is patty, i think the best way is to take some class, or start from part job, if you have kids, you could tell people that you need to take care the family so you could not work for that 7 years, like me , i just lost my job, and i had degree, do not complain, my family need my income too, i tell myself , take posititve attitude, and take the test from local government , if you do not like your previous job, you could change your career path, try to find information from website, for instance, you like art design job..,
you key in the words, you would get information as what you need, and analyze it , which you need, or go to library, borrow the book, useful for you..and submit the job from different website, you still need do lots of things to search the job, or go to local
government agency, volunteer for psg group (perfessional ..group) , you would get recommandation from these people . then you get good new start, do not give up job
search. people close the door for you, but God will open another door which is bigger and better for you. fr patty/10/31/2007
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment