Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2013, 10:39 AM

318 posts, read 566,894 times

Advertisements

I walked into a McDonald's restaurant in Fairfax VA the other day and at the counter was a very friendly white man of about fifty years old. He was at the counter all by himself waiting for customers. I was just shocked how friendly and sharp looking he was considering the typical McDonald's worker in Fairfax County VA is an immigrant with very poor language skills and even if they know English they are not chatting with the customers the same way as this guy was.

My first thought was maybe he was a franchise owner, or a manager, or maybe retired looking for a few extra bucks. We continued to chat and he told me he was down on his luck and was not able to get unemployment after being fired from his last job as a Operations Director and decided he needed to work, and why not McDonald's.

I was just shocked at how open and friendly he was about his life and career challenges. I sat down and and started eating my food and he came by later while on break and we chatted further. I wish I had a job for him and I really respected his good spirits and ability to accept work at $8 an hour after being a business executive.

Do you know anyone who has fallen so hard and so fast as this poor guy? Ex Business Executive who now is a minimum wage worker? Is he a hero for sucking it up and just taking any job to get back out there or a fool for not being able to talk his way into something better?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2013, 11:08 AM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,016,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Spock View Post
I walked into a McDonald's restaurant in Fairfax VA the other day and at the counter was a very friendly white man of about fifty years old. He was at the counter all by himself waiting for customers. I was just shocked how friendly and sharp looking he was considering the typical McDonald's worker in Fairfax County VA is an immigrant with very poor language skills and even if they know English they are not chatting with the customers the same way as this guy was.

My first thought was maybe he was a franchise owner, or a manager, or maybe retired looking for a few extra bucks. We continued to chat and he told me he was down on his luck and was not able to get unemployment after being fired from his last job as a Operations Director and decided he needed to work, and why not McDonald's.

I was just shocked at how open and friendly he was about his life and career challenges. I sat down and and started eating my food and he came by later while on break and we chatted further. I wish I had a job for him and I really respected his good spirits and ability to accept work at $8 an hour after being a business executive.

Do you know anyone who has fallen so hard and so fast as this poor guy? Ex Business Executive who now is a minimum wage worker? Is he a hero for sucking it up and just taking any job to get back out there or a fool for not being able to talk his way into something better?

The fact that someone his age with his experience decided to work a fast food job is pathetic. Fast Foods jobs are for teens and ex-offenders not someone who is 50 with a executive background.

Old 03-16-2013, 11:12 AM

8,630 posts, read 9,137,436 times
Really? Nice mix, add some teens and throw in a few convicts. Very nice.

Old 03-16-2013, 11:15 AM

400 posts, read 1,509,082 times
his decision is admirable but probably wont be long lasting. there is nothing wrong with working at mcdonalds. there are many people who have made a career out of it. others have resorted to the food industry most frequently cited is starbucks. there are so many college educated baristas and store managers (great employee benefits and health care for part time workers). also home depot and lowes have seen their share of former corporate executives. while he has made the decision to pursue mcdonalds for now a large cut in salary and demotion in status and responsibility is a very hard pill to swallow. hes more than likely looking for something else in the meantime.

also the rant on/ comparison to the "typical" employee is a little off putting

Old 03-16-2013, 11:16 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
I think he's sharp as a tack. Think of how many people he's meeting everyday. He's networking--that's what he's doing for all of the people who claim they don't understand networking or why it's beneficial. Sooner or later someone is going to take interest, appreciate his work ethic, and ask for his resume.

He's got cash coming in rather than no cash for lack of U/E.

Worst case scenario, he will quickly move up the ranks at McDonalds and end up as a store manager within a few years, making $50-100K depending on the store he's running and it's profitability. And if nothing else, he's learning a new skill set to add to his resume.

Anyone who looks down on him obviously needs a reality check.

Old 03-16-2013, 11:23 AM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
Really? Nice mix, add some teens and throw in a few convicts. Very nice.

That's the population I;m used to seeing in McDonald's

Old 03-16-2013, 11:23 AM

1,263 posts, read 3,281,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I think he's sharp as a tack. Think of how many people he's meeting everyday. He's networking--that's what he's doing for all of the people who claim they don't understand networking or why it's beneficial. Sooner or later someone is going to take interest, appreciate his work ethic, and ask for his resume.

He's got cash coming in rather than no cash for lack of U/E.

Worst case scenario, he will quickly move up the ranks at McDonalds and end up as a store manager within a few years, making $50-100K depending on the store he's running and it's profitability. And if nothing else, he's learning a new skill set to add to his resume.

Anyone who looks down on him obviously needs a reality check.
Bingo! McDonalds promotes from within, so even if he's "stuck" in fast food he may be able to move up fast. I know someone who makes $85k managing a burrito joint.

Plus, he's bound to impress someone working the counter in Fairfax. It's a wealthy county and many entrepreneurs are looking for people like him. Every day his work ethic is on display, along with his ability to "think outside the box" and his willingness to do whatever it takes to remain employed. I'd hire him!

Old 03-16-2013, 11:30 AM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL_Whut View Post
Bingo! McDonalds promotes from within, so even if he's "stuck" in fast food he may be able to move up fast. I know someone who makes $85k managing a burrito joint.

Plus, he's bound to impress someone working the counter in Fairfax. It's a wealthy county and many entrepreneurs are looking for people like him. Every day his work ethic is on display, along with his ability to "think outside the box" and his willingness to do whatever it takes to remain employed. I'd hire him!

Not everyone who works at Mcdonald's rises to the top

Old 03-16-2013, 11:35 AM

632 posts, read 1,180,271 times
I respect a man like him. Instead of sitting around, he decided to work for a lower wage in order to be a productive member of society. If he wanted, he could sit at home and complain while drawing on unemployment checks but no, he decided to work.

Old 03-16-2013, 11:46 AM

8,630 posts, read 9,137,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyDude75 View Post
That's the population I;m used to seeing in McDonald's
My grandfather was from south Philly, so I see your point. However, this guy is in Fairfax, Va, a high cost area of NOVA, one of the wealthiest counties in the US. A big difference. He's not doing if for the money but instead networking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment