Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2013, 09:04 PM

560 posts, read 1,548,325 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
.....Finally, try getting a job in another country. They have this weird system, they actually prefer hiring their OWN citizens first, over immigrants, again, that's what goes to the USA....!
Prefer? Every country (including the US!) hires its own citizens first, in other words, it has to protect its own labor force. I am shocked you don't know that. Now, if the citizens do not want to do certain jobs (mostly low-wage, no benefit or dangerous jobs such as taxi/limo driving, security guards, dishwasher, babysitting, waiter, janitor, cashier, etc), then it goes to immigrants. If you want proof, walk to your nearest mall and see who cleans the mall or call a taxi and see who drives it or go to the back of any restaurant and see who the cooks or dishwashers are or go to nursing homes and see who cleans/changes the old people, etc.

Old 03-18-2013, 09:44 PM

3,493 posts, read 4,669,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
What's a half blown white American?
that'd be me.
anyway, yeah, sometimes i've found myself looking at plane tickets to japan or spain or jamaica....just to get away from it all here.

i doubt i reach my 40s without leaving it all behind at least once.

but, i have family here...so, you know...can't ever leave forever.

Old 03-18-2013, 10:49 PM

10,113 posts, read 19,388,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tatiana1 View Post
Prefer? Every country (including the US!) hires its own citizens first, in other words, it has to protect its own labor force. I am shocked you don't know that. Now, if the citizens do not want to do certain jobs (mostly low-wage, no benefit or dangerous jobs such as taxi/limo driving, security guards, dishwasher, babysitting, waiter, janitor, cashier, etc), then it goes to immigrants. If you want proof, walk to your nearest mall and see who cleans the mall or call a taxi and see who drives it or go to the back of any restaurant and see who the cooks or dishwashers are or go to nursing homes and see who cleans/changes the old people, etc.

No, the good ol' USA makes a pretense a hiring its own citizens first, then looks to immigrants for cheaper workers. I have seen my own dh and many others of his age, race, education, professional experience, etc apply for jobs they were perfectly qualified for, and turned down. then, some applicant from another country, who can barely speak English, with limited knowledge of the job, gets hired. Of course, they work for less, and the employer gets tax breaks, etc, and the employer can say they're a "global" corporation and PC All people like my DH are interviewed for is to say they interviewed X number of American white guys. Of course, you could argue the Americans couldn't do the job, but WTH was doing it before they outsourced the whole place? Or do you really believe interviews hire based on the best applicant for the job without regard to nationality, etc?

Old 03-18-2013, 10:50 PM

361 posts, read 748,002 times
I'd like to know where he is going.

Old 03-18-2013, 10:53 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,468,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LCSDays View Post
I stayed at a BnB in Aruba we are now friends with the owners. We love Aruba and rave about it and for them it was work. Paradise is what you make of it.

I have thought about moving to Canada and then I see Ontario has about the same unemployment rate as CO oh well.

Old 03-19-2013, 12:38 AM

7,629 posts, read 16,443,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado xxxxx View Post
I stayed at a BnB in Aruba we are now friends with the owners. We love Aruba and rave about it and for them it was work. Paradise is what you make of it.

I have thought about moving to Canada and then I see Ontario has about the same unemployment rate as CO oh well.
Perhaps the little place near the Flying Fish Bone on the beach??? You are right, Aruba is wonderful, but to those that live there work.

We lived in Hawaii for several years and everyone thought, HOW WONDERFUL! They base that on the fact when THEY went to Hawaii it was for vacation, but for those living ANYWHERE there is the job, laundry, homework...all that mundane stuff that gets in the way of the REAL world we manage to skirt while on vacation.

Old 03-19-2013, 01:45 AM

4,698 posts, read 4,068,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trg5312 View Post
No more recession, no more annoying Corporate America, I'm done. I don't know who designed this $^&@# country but I wish I was born somewhere else.

I'm a full blown white American born here. Everyone has a breaking point. Sadly, the US of #^&%ing A has forced me to reach mine.

Goodbye and good riddance.
You are highly mistaken if you think recession is an American phenomena. For instance the average youth unemployment in the EU is 24%. And in some EU countries it is over 50%. It's really sad how little opportunities youth in the EU has today. Even taking the right degrees may not lead you to anywhere.

For instance France has a youth unemployment of about 30%. If you get a job, but not a job relevant to your degree, you will probably earn 1300 euros after tax. The price for a home in the suburbs of France is 300K euro. That is 20 times your income, good luck with that. But how about the UK. Again wages of 1000 pounds, and home prices of 200 - 400K if you want a home. Impossible to afford.

So lets settle for an apartment. But if you are going to get an apartment you don't want to live in the middle of nowhere. But then your 35 square meter apartment will cost at least 200K euro. You can't afford that on a minimum wage salary. If you want to rent it, it will cost at least 700 euros per month. That's more than half of your salary and you also got utilities to pay. What you will end up doing is to live in a terrible area, in a small terrible apartment. And you can't afford a car because that costs too much, so you have to commute into the city each morning. That's the reason so many youth live home.

In America you can expect to earn at least $1500 per month, and there are many opportunities to earn more, and the cost of living is so much lower. Unless you live in California or New York a decent house cost 100K instead of like 350K. And it's not just tiny cities who have prices like that. You can get prices like that in cities like Houston, and Indianapolis. Of course you need a car, but they cost much less.

I can't tell you how jealous I am at American house prices. What you call decent in America is amazing in Europe and mansions in developing countries. The grass in not always greener on the other side.

Last edited by Camlon; 03-19-2013 at 01:54 AM..

Old 03-19-2013, 01:46 AM

210 posts, read 394,178 times
Waiters can actually make pretty good $$$ It is still difficult to get paying jobs. For example, a few years ago I needed to complete an internship in order to graduate or work for free to gain experience. So I applied to a lot of internship sites to work for free a lot of companies public and private. I finally got fed up of not being called because I needed to graduate and called the company to ask them why I was not hired. They told me that they had hundreds of applicants even some who had graduate degrees or doctorates applying so they could afford to be selective to work for free! they were asking applicants to work 40 hours which I would have done in order to graduate. Well it just took soem more persistence on my part and some sweet and underrstanding people to help me out finally.

The situation in DC is still the same, people aren't getting hired and people with graduate degrees have to suck it up and work for free to put something on their resume that they don't want to have gaps in.

In this country it's not what you know, how many degrees you have even maybe it was in the past now it's just about WHO you know. And not many people are willing to help.

Oh and why do you think CHINA is becoming an economic superpower? because the US is outsourcing there because it's cheap. Moving businesses there and giving what could have been american jobs to other foreign employees.

Also, the occupations you listed I have seen done by White and Black americans as well. Many took up jobs in anything you consider menial when they couldn't find a job. A problem most current graduates are also having.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tatiana1 View Post

Old 03-19-2013, 01:56 AM

210 posts, read 394,178 times
To a place where there is racial harmony, growth for business, and a much much less stressed out life and where there is less junk food and less reality tv. That could be just about anywhere else except here
Quote:
Originally Posted by LCSDays View Post

Old 03-19-2013, 02:07 AM

30,239 posts, read 23,709,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trg5312 View Post
I've had it and glad I left.

No more recession, no more annoying Corporate America, I'm done. I don't know who designed this $^&@# country but I wish I was born somewhere else.

I'm a full blown white American born here. Everyone has a breaking point. Sadly, the US of #^&%ing A has forced me to reach mine.

Goodbye and good riddance.
Who cares.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.