Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2013, 02:18 PM

22,319 posts, read 29,400,492 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kees View Post
The problem is the 2nd candidate undercut your friend by at least 10k in salary... So now the company is going after that deal.

Welcome to the current job market.
It doesn't work like that. Its a base salary plus commission. There is no way to undercut.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2013, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I'd cut my losses and move on. I wouldn't want to work for that company. They obviously have some really serious issues. Two months I can actually see. Nine interviews is ridiculous. And then at the 11th hour another competitor for the job after an offer has been made? walk away, walk fast, do not turn around and look back.

Correct. The 9 interviews were over the 2 months span.

Old 03-18-2013, 02:30 PM

23 posts, read 76,177 times
ls he currently employed or is he just looking for a better opportunity? If he is employed, is the prospect of going back to his current job that unappealing? Does he NEED, need it, or can he afford to look around some more?

I would take a long, hard look at my current situation and if it were tolerable . In the long run, the worst thing might end up being offered the job.

Old 03-18-2013, 02:35 PM

2,533 posts, read 4,601,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
It doesn't work like that. Its a base salary plus commission. There is no way to undercut.
You said salary was discussed as part of the 9 interviews. If he didn't negotiate what was there to discuss?

That was my point. Him negotiating an amount and the 2nd candidate negotiating a lesser amount.

I've seen it time and time again... Desperate people make desperate low ball offers.

Old 03-18-2013, 02:36 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,964,709 times
As my mama said don't cut off your nose to spite your face. If he wanted this job in the first place, it's still worth it to pursue. He should not have flatly turned down other offers if this company did not give him an offer in writing. He should learn from that.

I would stay in the game.

You don't know what his competition is. It may be some relative of a manager whom they must consider, but the person is not really all that qualified, so they're going through the motions.

Old 03-18-2013, 02:38 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,118,032 times
Nine interviews is slightly higher-than-normal in my experience but you're counting the owner 3x so it was really just 7 interviewers?

My take on this: if the situation were reversed, if you accepted the offer from one company and, at the last minute, another interesting opportunity pops up, I'd be advising you to take the offer on the table and jump ship if the other offer pans out.

I think the company in question handled this in an unprofessional manner ... they shouldn't have told you about this new candidate and just get you go come for one last interview. Whether your friend wants to blow them off is a philosophical decision.

Old 03-18-2013, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kees View Post
You said salary was discussed as part of the 9 interviews. If he didn't negotiate what was there to discuss?

That was my point. Him negotiating an amount and the 2nd candidate negotiating a lesser amount.

I've seen it time and time again... Desperate people make desperate low ball offers.

Why would he negotiate?? It's a good salary. He was fine with it and no need to go higher. He has the potential of double/tripling the salary monthly anyways via commission.

If that second person came in and got the salary amount and said I'd work for cheaper then they're an idiot.

Old 03-18-2013, 03:36 PM

2,533 posts, read 4,601,744 times
Quote:
Why would he negotiate?? It's a good salary. He was fine with it and no need to go higher. He has the potential of double/tripling the salary monthly anyways via commission.

If that second person came in and got the salary amount and said I'd work for cheaper then they're an idiot.
I'm not saying that... What I'm saying is the offer your friend got may not be the same offer the 2nd candidate got... If he got a lesser offer and accepts your friend may be SOL.

You said it was a base salary with no negotiation... But did both get the same offer?

Maybe I'm wrong and there's some other reason for the change in direction that doesn't involve the company's bottom line...

Old 03-18-2013, 03:45 PM

It's over with. I'm not even going into the details of it but it is completely bs and extremely unprofessional. My friend has a lot more niceness in him than I do let me just say that. Unbelievable

Old 03-18-2013, 04:06 PM

4,399 posts, read 10,666,516 times
Quote:
It's over with. I'm not even going into the details of it but it is completely bs and extremely unprofessional. My friend has a lot more niceness in him than I do let me just say that. Unbelievable
I agree this situation is completely absurd. At first I thought this was some kind of troll post, but obviously you have plenty of posts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment