Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2013, 06:02 PM

1,392 posts, read 2,134,052 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
They pretty much always outperform benchmarks in bear markets. Not the best way to go when times are bullish
Errr, if I remember correctly, most hedge funds lag the S&P 500 after fees are taken into account. The ones that are consistently beating the market are closed to new investors. Hedge funds that consistently beat the market that come to mind are Farallon, Renaissance Technologies, DE Shaw, and Bridgewater.

To the OP, I highly suggest you start networking with finance professionals and look for a new job. If you can, I suggest moving to the sell side such as Research or Investment Banking or S&T to build some hard technical skills such as financial modeling since your opportunities are going to be pretty limited working for a small hedge fund of that size. Also, I don't mean any offense by this but the way you describe your hedge fund it seems to me to be just day trading for some investor who gave your boss 5 million dollars.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2013, 07:36 PM

427 posts, read 947,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cancerous View Post
why would there be a line for my position?

I'm the only one in the world that knows the strategy of this fund and can run it....

its long hours, stressful, you get scorned and abused by the ego-centric portfolio manager, and it pays 3k a month, no benefits.
Then go start your own fund.

Old 03-20-2013, 06:41 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,205,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by X14Freak View Post
Errr, if I remember correctly, most hedge funds lag the S&P 500 after fees are taken into account. The ones that are consistently beating the market are closed to new investors. Hedge funds that consistently beat the market that come to mind are Farallon, Renaissance Technologies, DE Shaw, and Bridgewater.
I was generalizing somewhat. There are many types of funds with very different goals, but on average at a macro level what I said holds. There are many exceptions.

Quote:
Thanks for that HNSQ, that really allayed some of my anxiety... I really didn't know much about how the industry works, and was afraid that I was just being taken. but it sounds like it is common practice from what you describe.
I just want to be clear. What I said is true, but you do need to trust the guy. There are many people who promise deals like that, try something very risky, and when it doesn't work out they move to another fund and never pay out on their promises. Trust in how honest your boss is would make this decision for me. Also, I know you know this, but since $5M is such a small number, there is a decent chance the fund might not be around in a year or two. It pays to be cynical in the financial industry.

Old 03-21-2013, 04:13 PM

273 posts, read 1,061,266 times
you can work in a third world country and live it up in a super apartment, with all the sex that you want with the hottest girls, nicest home cooked meals, etc. at that income level. living in cali. with that income is a pathetic joke. you are at the poverty level for that state.

Old 03-21-2013, 04:15 PM

120 posts, read 287,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guest4 View Post
you can work in a third world country and live it up in a super apartment, with all the sex that you want with the hottest girls, nicest home cooked meals, etc. at that income level. living in cali. with that income is a pathetic joke. you are at the poverty level for that state.

so funny that you mention that because that is what I would do. Plus I wouldnt have to pay US taxes I believe.

The only reason why I have not done that yet, is because like I said, i'm also pursuing a career in music which would keep me in the states obviously, and particularly in California (Los Angeles)

Old 03-23-2013, 05:21 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,418,524 times
Quote:
So i'm an analyst for a small hedge fund.... 5 million dollars. I'm paid 36k a year (my paycheck is 3k a month). They said they would draw up a contract for me so that I get around 4% of the profits on the 5 mil, but that was Sunday, and I havn't gotten anything yet. I also do not get any benefits, only a 3k check.

I've never gotten a raise, it's been 2 years. I'm paid as a contractor.

I'm thinking about looking for a new job... I mean at 3k a month, couldn't I just wait tables and make the same amount?

Thanks.

The only reason I still have this job is because I get to work remotely, I could technically travel the world and still get this 3k paycheck... but I havn't taken advantage of that yet because I'm in California trying to become a music producer. It's just been extremely stressful lately trying to figure out my life lately.
I made more than 3K a month waiting on tables and this was ten years ago, just saying.

Old 03-23-2013, 05:23 PM

361 posts, read 748,476 times
Finance and the finance industry is a dying industry. Get out while you can.

Old 03-23-2013, 05:24 PM

7,032 posts, read 14,483,506 times
Quote:
so funny that you mention that because that is what I would do. Plus I wouldnt have to pay US taxes I believe.

The only reason why I have not done that yet, is because like I said, i'm also pursuing a career in music which would keep me in the states obviously, and particularly in California (Los Angeles)
You may want to read the "4 Hour Work Week".. in fact, it's probably easier for you to apply the ideas in that book (if it describes a type of lifestyle you'd want) since you don't need to go through their steps for negotiating a remote work agreement with your employer.

You can definitely move somewhere cheaper and even start a business while working to pay the bills. Once your business takes off and you automate it, you can quit your job, free up some time, and going into Music.

Old 03-31-2013, 03:38 PM

120 posts, read 287,043 times
Here is an update, I received a paper contract

he has upped my salary from 36k a year to 48k a year, but he has expensed it as part of the "bonus".

Employee will be eligible to share in trading profits paid to Y by X. Employee shall receive a $4000.00 monthly draw which will accumulate as an
expense against the year end “Special Bonus.” The payment is not a loan. Employee will be
entitled up to twenty (20) percent of total bonus compensation paid to Y
by X. Employee shall receive a monthly trading statement from Employer. Payment shall be calculated based on total profitability at December 1, 2013, and each December
1 thereafter. Fifty (50) percent of the twenty (20) percent shall be paid to Employee within Sixty
(60) days of December 1. Fifty (50) percent of the bonus up to a maximum of $250,000.00 shall be part of the “holdback” and vest over the following year.

is this fair? The language "up to twenty (20 percent" seems weird.

Old 03-31-2013, 04:17 PM

105 posts, read 144,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LCSDays View Post
Finance and the finance industry is a dying industry. Get out while you can.
This is one of the more ridiculous generalizations I've come across in recent times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment