Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2013, 10:41 AM

120 posts, read 286,873 times

Advertisements

So i'm an analyst for a small hedge fund.... 5 million dollars. I'm paid 36k a year (my paycheck is 3k a month). They said they would draw up a contract for me so that I get around 4% of the profits on the 5 mil, but that was Sunday, and I havn't gotten anything yet. I also do not get any benefits, only a 3k check.

I've never gotten a raise, it's been 2 years. I'm paid as a contractor.

I'm thinking about looking for a new job... I mean at 3k a month, couldn't I just wait tables and make the same amount?

Thanks.

The only reason I still have this job is because I get to work remotely, I could technically travel the world and still get this 3k paycheck... but I havn't taken advantage of that yet because I'm in California trying to become a music producer. It's just been extremely stressful lately trying to figure out my life lately.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2013, 12:06 PM

2,008 posts, read 4,722,538 times
once you find a new job, I'll take yours!

The thing about the position is there's a line behind you that will take that position in a second at that pay and everything.

Old 03-19-2013, 12:08 PM

why?

Old 03-19-2013, 12:36 PM

why what?

Old 03-19-2013, 12:39 PM

why would there be a line for my position?

I'm the only one in the world that knows the strategy of this fund and can run it....

its long hours, stressful, you get scorned and abused by the ego-centric portfolio manager, and it pays 3k a month, no benefits.

Old 03-19-2013, 01:06 PM

4,160 posts, read 5,618,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cancerous View Post

I'm the only one in the world that knows the strategy of this fund and can run it....

its long hours, stressful, you get scorned and abused by the ego-centric portfolio manager, and it pays 3k a month, no benefits.

Is this your first job? If so, there are not many positions doing what you are doing...I suggest before jumping ship take a look at Monster-they have career bench marks that may help you in deciding what to do next-

Good luck!

Old 03-19-2013, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cancerous View Post

There is no way that the strategy being used at your fund is so unique that another fund isn't using something the same or very similar. Also, an analyst can be taught the strategy. Coming up with the strategy is the hard part.

It's long hours, stressful, and get scorned by the portfolio manager.... so what is the difference between that and any other hedge fund analyst position? The benefits part is the only difference. Working from home is also a benefit that your job has that others won't.

The pay isn't great, but it's also better than 0. You also get to work from home though which if throw in the .55 cost of gas and maintenance at 20 miles each way, it's almost 6k a year in savings. So now your pay is 42k.

Then throw in the profit sharing, so now you're up to at least 45k.

I'd give up my 42k a year job with full benefits right now in a heart beat for yours.
Mainly because it's on track for what I want to go forward with in my career vs not being in my career at all.

If you've worked for 2 years as an analyst you should easily be able to move to another firm and make more than 36k. So yes, look for another job, and give me yours. deal?

Old 03-19-2013, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnvrsoul View Post
Is this your first job? If so, there are not many positions doing what you are doing...I suggest before jumping ship take a look at Monster-they have career bench marks that may help you in deciding what to do next-

Good luck!
Its my first job out of college, I had a work-study job working for the university i went to school at before this one.

What are you trying to say? That I have an interesting job that I'm being too of a brat to realize?

Old 03-19-2013, 01:13 PM

456 posts, read 1,169,991 times
You've worked two years as a hedge fund analyst and they only pay you 36k? I thought that was the type of job that pays six figures? Or is that only on Wall Street?

Old 03-19-2013, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkBunny View Post
You've worked two years as a hedge fund analyst and they only pay you 36k? I thought that was the type of job that pays six figures? Or is that only on Wall Street?

Nah, the first two years was him and i essentially building up our strategy and making stock picks. we just got someone to give us 5 million - which is basically a micro micro hedge fund.

I'm not that involved to be honest, I work remotely and he was really the one that got the 5 mil together. He's just been paying me as a contractor while we built the strategy together.

It's not a gigantic hedge fund with like 100 million in management, etc...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment