U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2007, 10:49 PM

18,882 posts, read 21,149,359 times
When I did work for a large company (just shy of 22 years) I loved the work. It was the people I had to work for that caused me to leave.

The job (Computer Systems Manager - fancy title for a computer freak) was varied beyond belief. Building the computers. Fixing them. Troubleshooting software. Writing batch files. Shipping the PCs all over the world. Building servers (Novell) on hard disks then having people from all over the world come to classes where I trained them in how to install the drives and setup workstations and user accounts (translators included - half spoke no English - that was interesting). My boss and I set up an interface between a mainframe and PCs using WordPerfect 5.1 macros that used 3d line drawings created in AutoCAD to print lists of equipment that contractors would use to check what was shipped to them as well as what they still had. The lists were also given to new employees so they could find the equipment. That project had some unexpected benefits: It cut the number of fireproof file cabinets in half (from about 150 to 75), saved time for sales, shipping, site management, and smoothed the process of getting all equipment returned in a timely manner.

The company manufactured steel forms for concrete construction. If you ever see a bridge or building going up that is covered in caterpillar yellow forms, that's them.

I started with one IBM AT in 1984. My challenge at that time was to convert the entire CAD database from Computervision and HP mini computers to the PC format (AutoCAD). Once I accomplished that I demonstrated how quick the system was and the company never looked back. Within two years the entire organization (in the U.S.) was on PCs and AutoCAD. Within another year I was responsible for 200 computers worldwide.

Those were fun times - except for the jerks I had to work for. I will never understand why people in management can't just stay out of the way and let those with the knowledge do their jobs instead of throwing unneeded roadblocks out. At the request of my boss I had a five drawer file cabinet devoted entirely to CMA. Every letter, fax, email, phone conversation that came through my office was documented and placed in that cabinet. Those files saved us many times from inaccurate information or outright lies.

So, yeah I did 8-10 hour days. I loved it. As long as management stayed out of the way.

Now I'm a self-employed Computer Consultant. I've got a really nice boss that doesn't give me a cr*p if I need to take some time off, and I get to play, er, work all day on other peoples toys. And I get paid to do it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2007, 08:47 AM

19,401 posts, read 16,118,895 times
My type of work isnt some sit-at-a-desk-all-day job so I like it. But then, Ive always had jobs that involved physical activity so it never bothered me. Heck, there had been times I had to work a double shift in restraunt because the relief didnt come in, but in the way of tips, it was worth it.

Old 10-27-2007, 12:37 PM

5,794 posts, read 14,229,998 times
Well if you don't mind getting a low paycheck, social work offers a lot of diversity during the day. I have worked a few different social work jobs, and my day is NEVER boring.

Old 10-27-2007, 08:24 PM

266 posts, read 596,041 times
Everyone so far has talked about professional jobs or jobs requiring an education. It annoys me that there is so little attention given (not just here - anywhere) to the blue collar worker. Every job I've ever held has been a low-paying, repetitive job. The extreme example was when I worked 12 hour shifts on a plastic injection molding press. I put parts in, cycled the machine, took the finished parts off, put more on, etc. etc. etc. for 12 straight hours. Guess what? I would gladly work that job again!
99% of it is in the attitude. If you go to work each day hating it because you feel you have to be there, that you have no choice, it will drive you crazy.
If you go approach work the way one would approach, say, a hobby, it will be much easier to bear, it can even be enjoyable. Nobody has to do anything they don't want to do, they just think they have to.

Old 10-27-2007, 08:55 PM

15,380 posts, read 22,026,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoddessofRandomThoughts View Post
And still there are times when I want to herd cats rather than work with kids. It's always something
Herding cats is ALWAYS easier then kids....of any age........just spent the weekend with 15 yr old g'son and his g'friend at SeaWorld.....

Old 10-28-2007, 01:44 AM

6,572 posts, read 8,370,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaveMtns View Post
OK...I'll bite--what do you do??
Oh

I'm an aircraft mechanic but I work the flight line. There's really no difference between a mechanic in a hangar and a mechanic on the flight line other than the fact that we're out in the elements a bit more. But working the flight line, when the planes are about to push away and they have a problem, they call us. That's what is exciting about it because there's about a bajillion different parts that could go bad and you have to think fast as to what might possibly cause the problem you're seeing, stick to your guns, and have confidence in your decisions. Are you always right? Nah, sometimes you gotta call the plane down for further maintenance, but more often than not you come back with a positive result. It's just a thrill for me. It's like at that particular time, you've got pilots, loaders, ground crews, etc.. etc... all looking at you to make the decision. You have to call it as you see it and when you're right, it feels GOOD! The other times that are fun are when the aircraft is considered broken for a few days because of some flaky wiring fault. What's great is getting to troubleshoot it after everyone else has been on it for days and finding two wires that shorted together somewhere, repairing it, and being able to hold your head up high for a few days knowing that you fixed it. I don't know, it's that kind of thing that gets me out of bed and into my work clothes every day.

Old 10-28-2007, 06:01 AM

6,764 posts, read 13,366,579 times
I can relate to the OP.
I've been a SAHM for 9 years. My son is now in 4th grade so I do spend a lot of 'free time' at home. I never lived the 'good life' that some mothers have, though--I don't sit around gossiping all day with friends, lunching at the club, or anything. I do have free time after I clean the house to do what I want on my schedule.

But soon I will work again.
It makes me panic to look at the clock at 11 am or so and think, "If I was at a job I wouldn't even be able to eat my lunch yet" (I get up at 6). Or think the day is only half over...

Maybe the OP can try to work part time to get back in the swing of things or volunteer to find an outlet.

Old 10-28-2007, 09:37 AM

2,576 posts, read 3,432,545 times
Fortunately my job is so busy with so much work that an 8-hr day seems like half a day!

If I focused on the job being boring, or the day being long it could be very disheartening.

Old 10-28-2007, 09:51 AM

5,982 posts, read 10,556,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by us2indaup View Post
Everyone so far has talked about professional jobs or jobs requiring an education. It annoys me that there is so little attention given (not just here - anywhere) to the blue collar worker.
Yes, my job required some education. One year. It requires I click on a couple of frequencies and engage about 3 brain cells every day - but because it's not a blue collar job it's exciting? C'mon - I quit being excited about ten years ago.

Doesn't matter whether you're a doctor, a secretary, or a line worker. Every job has some monotony to it. We all do the same thing more than once a day. I'm sure every surgeon in the world would love to have the most challenging cases come to him and be a modern day miracle worker every time he grabs his scalpel - but he doesn't...he repairs hernias or sets broken arms or removes your gallbladder....and trust me, he's bored a lot of the time.

Personally, if I ever work again? I want to do something so totally mind numbing that I don't ever have to think...like water the plants at Home Depot. That's about as exciting as I want...and when I leave at the end of the day, it's over and done with until tomorrow.

Doesn't matter what you do or how tedious it is - if you take pride in your work and you're earning your keep, that should be satisfaction enough at the end of the day. Not all of us can be NASCAR drivers.

Old 10-28-2007, 11:53 AM

6,586 posts, read 15,912,503 times
Hey goodtype - aren't you the one who came into some money, was able to quit work you thought forever, then you traveled and blew through your money faster than you planned on and now you have to go back to work?

If so, my friend, it will be quite an adjustment for you. If I were you I would find a job that makes you still feel connected to the world and allows you to move around - health care field, or UPS delivery guy, or a bouncer in a night club or something like that. Or maybe teach English in Korea or go work in Iraq for a private contractor or work in Dubai. I would not go back to a 9-5, possibly isolating, office job if I were you. You will be bored and frustrated is my guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment