Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2013, 07:31 AM

361 posts, read 746,246 times

Advertisements

Go work retail starting two weeks before Thanksgiving, and work through Christmas. You will be even crazier and you will actually miss the job you have now. By the time you are finished, you ill not ever want ANY human interaction ever again.

Also, a job working in a city morgue or the city garbage dump would do wonders for your attitude and your outlook on life.

Just remember that no matter how bad you think it is, someone has it worse. Much worse in some cases.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2013, 09:34 AM

13,536 posts, read 9,960,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
My point is that if you have a need for social interaction with these folks then reach out. Maybe, just maybe, they feel the same way.
I worked in a situation much the same, the other people there had social problems, I tried to reach out, but was ignored. I packed that job in.

Old 03-21-2013, 09:48 AM

28 posts, read 50,672 times
Well I guess the grass is always greener. I work alone and want to be around people/coworkers and those that do have coworkers want to be in isolation.

@LCSDays- what shall I do while waiting for the holiday season to start? And surely, there are always worse jobs, but should I let that keep me from striving for a position that's better suited for me? If we all thought that way then we wouldn't ever aspire for anything greater because "hey, it could always be worse"

Old 03-21-2013, 11:21 AM

278 posts, read 466,143 times
I was at the library recently and I noticed a book entitled "The Three Signs of a Miserable Job" by Patrick Lencioni. Curious, I opened the book to skim the table of contents and found that these signs completely described my last job and neatly summed up why I had quit. They are: anonymity, irrelevance, and immeasurement. Basically, nobody knows who you are, you can't see if your job matters, and there's no gauge of your progress.

My day in "office isolation" was broken up by occasional customer interactions, some of which were extremely awkward, because my out-of-office co-worker was not always good at their job. So in addition to being isolated, I had to answer angry phone calls from people with problems that I couldn't directly solve.

These are "service sector problems" that certainly do make you consider if working knee-deep in mud, outdoors in bad weather, or on an assembly line would be better for you.

The fact is that isolation is probably not your problem - it is more likely bad management. In another book, "Outliers" by Malcom Gladwell, he identifies the three requirements for a satisfying job: autonomy, complexity, and a connection between effort and reward. He argues that we need to be able to choose how our work gets done, it must be intellectually engaging, and we need some form of recognition for working harder and doing better. Of course, a job is hard to come by, let alone one that satisfies these requirements while avoiding the three signs of a miserable job. And, it is hard to know what a job will be prior to starting work there.

In my job, I went through podcasts, tv, radio, movies, games, various work projects, and even school studies, before I realized it was not me, it was them. Now I have no job!

Old 03-21-2013, 12:04 PM

28 posts, read 50,672 times
Thanks for the insightful comments. Life is too short to spend so much time at a job, or in my case,a setting you don't enjoy!

Old 03-21-2013, 12:09 PM

14,376 posts, read 18,290,491 times
I work from home, so I get what you're talking about - except my home office is across the country, so there's no real respite. Go out for lunch - even if it's just to eat in a park. Take a walk. Invite a co-worker to join you - a different one every day maybe. Ask people to join you for coffee or drinks after hours. Make an effort, and they will likely reciprocate.

If you have ideas, start email chains with a small group of co-workers. I do this all the time, and we have some great conversations even if we're all over the country.

Old 03-21-2013, 12:58 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,823,488 times
See if there is a lunch group for others who work in your area. If you are downtown in a city, you are more likely to find this sort of thing. Check by your local library and see what's going on - some have brown bag programs that might be interesting. Ditto local museums and galleries. Ask your friends if they have friends who work nearby whom you might enjoy meeting - extend your network of acquaintances.

Get out and walk during your lunch hour - take a picnic with you and find a new (or old favorite) place to enjoy it every day weather permits. Take a good book with you if you can't find congenial company - anything for a change of pace. If you can't get outside, take an art or craft project to work and do a little with it each day. If you're not crafty, read or research about a topic of interest to you - travel, gardening, hobbies, sports, whatever - just change your focus during your free time. Plan your next vacation.

If you're online, watch funny YouTube videos or travel documentaries or old movies during cold or wet lunch hours while you're eating at your desk. Or use the time to email your friends.

Decorate your office and/or your desk or cubicle as cheerfully as you can, in whatever way is permitted and appeals to you. Use radio to your advantage, if you can. Your idea for the coffee maker, etc., is a good one - make sure you have healthy snacks around for your breaks, and leave the building during those breaks if at all possible.

Just widen your horizons in whatever ways you can. Be sure to make full social use of your evenings, weekends, holidays, and vacations, to help counterbalance your situation at work. Best wishes to you.

Old 03-21-2013, 06:23 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,844,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StatsLady View Post
I joined a new company 9 months ago to do research. I didn't think about the small office and that the few (2-3) people that do work here are only in the office a couple times a week. Even when people are here they sit in their office and nobody talks to each other. I work early hours to avoid the commute. So I talk to no one e every day then when I get home I am by myself for another couple hours to wait for my fiancé to get home.

Thank god I've already put in 9 months I going to try and make it a year but every day is so hard to make it through each day. After a week passes I'm in shock that I made it through another week.

Any thoughts or advice??? I'm losing it here!!

Took me about 6 weeks to get used to being in isolation because I haven't had my own office in 6 years. I had gotten so used to sitting around people all day.

The main issue I have with it is I can't chat about sports or currents events due to being in my office. I can do it quickly in the breakroom and then it's back to my office

Old 03-21-2013, 06:24 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,844,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StatsLady View Post
These people aren't your usual office crew. Everyone brings their own lunch and eats at their desk/office reading research articles. No one drinks coffee but me. I had To bring in my own coffee and coffee maker. shoot, we dont even have a water cooler to gather round. i have to carry up cases of water if i want to drink cold/filtered water. MAybe once every month or two ill have lunch with one of them, but it's far from regular interaction.

I had to get used to eating lunch alone again lol So since I'm isolated my lunch hour is spent eating and reading
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment