Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2013, 11:24 AM

797 posts, read 1,344,230 times

Advertisements

I am retired, but was on my first union job 19 years until I left for self employment.

Loyalty?------NO

Wages , benefits, and my hours ( 3AM-11:30 AM) were what kept me there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2013, 12:07 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,132,701 times
Stayed at my first job 8 years starting as a full time associate and at the time the company closed down I was a district manager. Got another job right away and
a here 8 years as well. I was fortune as there were layoffs yet my hours actually went up and received a raise and a slight bump In hours. I have given 150 percent over the years, from covering shifts at a moments notice to staying at the Hotel for almost a week during a major storm we had working 12 hours ever day. I certainly am loyal and it's been noticed. I still do not consider my self invincible as jobs and companies can come and go nowadays.

Old 03-21-2013, 12:34 PM

23,534 posts, read 24,022,219 times
I stayed at one job 7.5 years and worked under a great management team. One day, my VP decided to call it quits and move on. Once a new VP came in, he was not aware of the previous contributions of the team and it was similar to "starting over" from day one.

Many people (including myself) left the company.

Bottom line, initially, we were recognized for our loyalty and dedication. Once there are management changes, that all went out the window.

Old 03-21-2013, 12:38 PM

563 posts, read 1,270,215 times
I've been with my present company for almost 20 yrs, and I can tell you from my own experiences as well as those who I've worked with who have been there longer than me, loyalty means absolutely zero. In my company, the pay raise scale tilts against those who acutally do a better job and have been there longer.

You will occasionally get an immediate supervisor who values your loyalty and will fight for and "protect" you when others want to bring you down, but those types are too few and far between. In my personal instaances alone, I can recall 6 times in my career there where I was implicitly told by my superior that I was being headhunted and points where I, if not for extra effort I unknowingly put in, pure luck or some backing by my boss, should have been fired. This to a guy who has consistently looked for ways to save the company money, payroll, time as well as increase efficiency and productivity, someone who has always come in or stay later at a moments notice and has never said no. Even now, I'm about 6 weeks or so from being fired, so yeah, loyalty means nothing anymore.

Old 03-21-2013, 12:47 PM

1,331 posts, read 1,987,432 times
13 years with the same company so far.
Pretty good pay and good benefits, so I'll probably stay as long as I can.

Old 03-21-2013, 12:55 PM

143 posts, read 221,905 times
i had one job for 5 years and it was my first job after college so I was trained and groomed and became a "professional". During the time I got one promotion, but did not really like working there. I worked there because it was stable during recession. One day I got the axe, but was able to get another job quite immediately.

I would stay 5 years in a place if I really liked it, but if I don't like it, i am going to start sending resumes after a year or so on the job.

There is no such thing as loyalty, but I wish the companies in the North America were more international and not so "dated". By that I mean, in the work place here job hopping is considered a taboo, where as in many asian countries they view hoppers as smart and intelligent people who are trying to better themselves.

Old 03-21-2013, 01:26 PM

50 posts, read 163,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight2009 View Post
Yes, I have been with my current employer for over 10 years. Will prolly be here for the next 20-30+ years, as I really love working here

Yes to all of the above -- in 10 years, I was able to successfully advance from starting at ~$24k a year to a little over $100k a year currently. Also was able to move up from entry-level to senior analyst level.
It seems like most replies on here are small to some big jobs with mostly my thread questions not paying off at the end . . . you mentioned "senior analyst", so is your company a big one where advancement was "available" in your face or opposed to where you had to strive and search for your position.

(including hard work on both available advancement // searching for it)

Old 03-21-2013, 01:50 PM

46,951 posts, read 25,984,404 times
Default 8 years so far...

Can't say I think of it as "loyalty", though - just that the cost/benefit has tended to run in favor of staying.

There are fairly standard benefits to remaining here - 401(K) fully vested, more vacation time, and I've made the leap to middle management (woo) as well. Raises along the way, and fairly generous bonuses when the company does well.

Doesn't keep me from cursing the company when they do something particularly bone-headed. I'm not a follower in that sense.

Old 03-21-2013, 02:25 PM

5,460 posts, read 7,760,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirouline View Post
It seems like most replies on here are small to some big jobs with mostly my thread questions not paying off at the end . . . you mentioned "senior analyst", so is your company a big one where advancement was "available" in your face or opposed to where you had to strive and search for your position.

(including hard work on both available advancement // searching for it)
I currently work for Uncle Sam (civilian / non-military sector). Not sure exactly if my agency is considered as "big" or not; we have a total of about several thousand employees working there though, I believe...

Yes, I was very fortunate and blessed in the sense that the career ladder that I was originally hired under had the promotion potential from entry-level to junior-analyst level within 3 years (succession to each new pay grade was guaranteed with an acceptable performance rating or higher after a year of working in the preceding lower grade). It took about 2-3 years to move up to being a junior analyst. With hard work and dedication, after about a year after promotion to junior analyst, my immediate manager was so impressed with my work that he was very kind and generous enough to open up 2 senior analyst positions within the same agency, same office, etc., for both me and another colleague to both be able to apply for and fill. The colleague and I both successfully received the senior analyst postions I did work very hard though, and gave my very best 110% effort, every day on the job, so that every rating year I was able to earn the highest possible performance rating available. Since I have been there, I have received at least 6 major pay grade promotions, and not counting step promotion increases within the same pay grade.

Old 03-21-2013, 02:51 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,615,476 times
I've been at my company and hard work over my 12 years or so has paid off. As far as loyalty, I am as loyal to them as they are to me. Meaning if something better comes along, I would probably leave just as they would get rid of me if it fit the business need.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment