Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2013, 01:04 AM

15,408 posts, read 6,197,275 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmel View Post
The "attitude" required isn't something that's easily explained. You simply have to HAVE the attitude. It is an attitude which, when encountered, has a power of its own. Perhaps, this "lady" has one of those attitudes, which is why people are so afraid of her. Let's just say it's an ALPHA trait and see if you can figure it out.
A person in her position and with her stubborn attitude would never consider a "newbie" to have alpha traits or this so called "attitude" that you are talking about. She had already made up her mind to disregard the request.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2013, 01:19 AM

15,408 posts, read 6,197,275 times
Quote:
Yes, you are wasting your time. I am utterly convinced that you have no argument whatsoever. As for being fired at the executive's request....LOL, not likely. I would, however, have either had that document in hand or she would have told me WHY I was returning without it....of THAT, you can be absolutely sure. More than likely, she also would have been asking, "Who was that woman again? I LIKE her! She's going to go FAR! She gets things DONE!" More than likely, she would be making me HER assistant!!
Let's hope that you never have to post a difficult situation that happens in your life in one of these forums. Keep in mind that you should not be owed the courtesy or benefit of the doubt (as you did not do so here) and by all rights we should presume right from the start that it is your fault no matter what and we should say how did you let that happen or if it was us we would have resolved the issue without much effort, just a little alpha attitude (whatever that means..it means nothing to a person like this top manager).

There is nothing wrong with making suggestions and doing so respectfully, but to say that you absolutely know for certain it would have worked is taking it to the arrogance level.

You would have been refused the document along with all the other braggers who have not spent a single second in that office.

Old 03-29-2013, 05:21 AM

8,003 posts, read 11,724,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessgeek View Post
Let's hope that you never have to post a difficult situation that happens in your life in one of these forums. Keep in mind that you should not be owed the courtesy or benefit of the doubt (as you did not do so here) and by all rights we should presume right from the start that it is your fault no matter what and we should say how did you let that happen or if it was us we would have resolved the issue without much effort, just a little alpha attitude (whatever that means..it means nothing to a person like this top manager).

There is nothing wrong with making suggestions and doing so respectfully, but to say that you absolutely know for certain it would have worked is taking it to the arrogance level.

You would have been refused the document along with all the other braggers who have not spent a single second in that office.
Yep, I admit it chessgeek......I got irritated and a bit rude here.

Times are tough OP. If you can't go above this woman, just do whatever you can to avoid being sandwiched in between the possible pissing contest between her and your boss. Sorry you're in this position.

It stinks when you get used as a player in a power struggle. After hearing more of your story, that's what it sounds like. We had a particular doctor whom everyone, including the administrator of our facility, hated! Every time they had to call him for something, he tore them to shreds. Being the "newbie", she thought it would be hilarious....wanted to show me the "real world", had me call the doctor, all while she and a couple of the more seasoned nurses stood by and listened.

Their jaws DROPPED, as they heard me having a very pleasant conversation with this "evil" doctor. Even heard me end the call with, "Thank you so much Dr.______, you have a great day, too!" All they could do was say, "Are you effing KIDDING me!? He told you to have a great DAY!?" Lovingly and jokingly, I even got called a b*tch, by a couple of the other nurses, whose conversations with him had not gone well.

Do work on your assertiveness and respectfulness. It won't always work and you are always going to find people who are so burned out on life, that they have no tolerance for other people anymore. Good luck to you. I hope you can find a happy medium here and at the very least, hope you can find a way to stay out of the "game" some of these people like to play with newbies. Perhaps, while you still have a job, you can start looking for another one. With any luck, you'll find something that doesn't put you in the line of fire, or in the middle of a power game.

Last edited by beachmel; 03-29-2013 at 06:05 AM..

Old 03-29-2013, 06:24 AM

318 posts, read 566,894 times
UPDATE: The Executive Vice President of Finance must have got a real charge out of putting me in my place and not giving me the document because somehow the whole story about how I was shot down has been going around the office like wild fire and I am now the office wuss.

Old 03-29-2013, 09:18 AM

2,135 posts, read 4,273,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Spock View Post
UPDATE: The Executive Vice President of Finance must have got a real charge out of putting me in my place and not giving me the document because somehow the whole story about how I was shot down has been going around the office like wild fire and I am now the office wuss.
Well truthfully you kind of sound like a wuss. It might be time for a job change.

Old 03-29-2013, 09:35 AM

136 posts, read 460,896 times
Spock

I have a hard time even believing your story..... but if it's, true my advice to you is to start looking for another job. It sounds like a miserable existence. If you truly work in a corporate environment this screwed up, with Machiavellian management that is actually this absorbed in their own bull-crap I feel sorry for you and everyone else at this company. When people that don't even acknowledge your existence as a human being, and your ultimate goal in life is to move a piece of paper from one scumbag to another, it's time for a change my friend....

Old 03-29-2013, 09:58 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,305,769 times
Quote:
Or......hmmmm, a bit of confidence and knowing one's capabilities? It's not my fault that you are incapable of intelligent persuasion. Clearly, that is not everyone's strong suit.

Look, I deal with doctors. Yes. Doctors. Anyone who has dealt, on a professional level, with doctors knows, that you've never met anyone more controlling and unwavering as some of these doctors can be. However, when one is intelligent enough and "confident" enough.....they can be "handled"....quite easily, I might add. After all, they are simply human beings who have specialized in medicine.
Hey I surrendered already by giving you my highest accolade for your last post and still the personal attacks! It would be nice if your imagined scenario would come true. I don't know. I guess you'd have to actually BE in the situation for anyone to tell.

Old 03-29-2013, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessgeek View Post

Pretty much what I thought, but I did like the imagined scenario posted of her becoming the stubborn executive's assistant. Unwavering messageboard bravado at its finest. And who knows? Maybe she could have made it work out that way. Too bad we will never know.

Old 03-29-2013, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Yep, I admit it chessgeek......I got irritated and a bit rude here.

Times are tough OP. If you can't go above this woman, just do whatever you can to avoid being sandwiched in between the possible pissing contest between her and your boss. Sorry you're in this position.

It stinks when you get used as a player in a power struggle. After hearing more of your story, that's what it sounds like. We had a particular doctor whom everyone, including the administrator of our facility, hated! Every time they had to call him for something, he tore them to shreds. Being the "newbie", she thought it would be hilarious....wanted to show me the "real world", had me call the doctor, all while she and a couple of the more seasoned nurses stood by and listened.

Their jaws DROPPED, as they heard me having a very pleasant conversation with this "evil" doctor. Even heard me end the call with, "Thank you so much Dr.______, you have a great day, too!" All they could do was say, "Are you effing KIDDING me!? He told you to have a great DAY!?" Lovingly and jokingly, I even got called a b*tch, by a couple of the other nurses, whose conversations with him had not gone well.

Do work on your assertiveness and respectfulness. It won't always work and you are always going to find people who are so burned out on life, that they have no tolerance for other people anymore. Good luck to you. I hope you can find a happy medium here and at the very least, hope you can find a way to stay out of the "game" some of these people like to play with newbies. Perhaps, while you still have a job, you can start looking for another one. With any luck, you'll find something that doesn't put you in the line of fire, or in the middle of a power game.
Newsflash: chessgeek is not the OP. Mr Spock is.

Old 03-29-2013, 11:51 AM

2,888 posts, read 6,538,789 times
How do you deal with executives? You develop a strong relationship with their assistants.

Your boss sent his people to deal with her people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment