Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2014, 12:55 PM

416 posts, read 871,405 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Spock View Post
I just started a new job and am trying to get my boss to recognize my expertise and competence.
You intend to show your expertise and competence by picking up a document?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2014, 03:32 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,195,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 43north87west View Post
WTF are you talking about? Are the loons having some sort of contest in this forum today or something?
I am simply addressing your comment about not thinking about what could happen and using that same logic and applying it to issues of more magnitude. Are the name callers in the forum getting a little too upset when someone else has a better argument and pokes holes in their so called "logic"? What would you prefer to talk about or is name calling and implied profanity (WTF) your preferred topic!?

Old 01-24-2014, 06:40 PM

42 posts, read 87,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Retired Now View Post
So if a junior level person in HR asks an executive for something using an aggressive tone of voice and evil look, the bitchy senior manager (Vice President) is going to get intimidated and hand over the document?
Yes, it's worked for me. It's not intimidation, it's just showing them that you're not intimidated by them, and you also have a job to do. Who has time for those petty little office games? If you're scared of a stupid organizational chart, then maybe you shouldn't be working with excecs. They all have HUGE ego's and you have to show them that you simply are not intimidated by their ego. Everybody has the right to demand some respect... no matter what your title is.

Old 07-26-2014, 11:31 AM

1,480 posts, read 2,795,989 times
The story told by the original poster has happened to me many times. If I get huffy and assertive they will turn it into a little war and dig their heals in and never help me. If I come across as weak and non assertive then I am written off too.

Old 07-26-2014, 12:43 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,885,876 times
Quote:
The story told by the original poster has happened to me many times. If I get huffy and assertive they will turn it into a little war and dig their heals in and never help me. If I come across as weak and non assertive then I am written off too.
There are now 22 pages devoted to "how to get a document" in the workplace from a difficult manager. Over-analyzed cannot begin to describe this incident, it should have stayed buried as a past thread. But it gave me a few minutes of entertainment reading the first few pages of responses.

The fact that the OP has to start a thread in a public internet forum with this "problem" is indicative enough that there are some issues here, not with the manager, difficult managers are something you adapt to and overcome, but with the employee/OP.

Also is the fact that the OP will not, shall we say, be joining this forum to answer this thread any longer.

Old 07-26-2014, 12:45 PM

50,768 posts, read 36,458,112 times
Quote:
Because both are dysfunctional. Assertiveness is not huffiness. You can be assertive and still be pleasant and professional. I think much like the "Nice Guys" on the relationship forums who think they either have to be super-doormat or super-jerk and forget there's miles of ground in the middle, it sounds like you don't have a good handle on what that middle ground it. The book "Boundaries" might be good at helping you undertand the difference between aggression and assertiveness, and between weakness and compromise/pleasantness.

Old 07-26-2014, 04:36 PM

1,413 posts, read 1,515,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinnayyy View Post
I think, "Ms. Erickson, John Smith needs Important Document" would have worked.
Everyone seems to be me-too-ing this, but when you address somebody from their office door you need them to acknowledge you if you want to ask them for something. You want to have their attention if only for a moment, and for that you need them to look up from whatever they're working on. I think there are some serious communication problems at this company and they are not entirely with Mr.Spock.

Old 07-26-2014, 06:49 PM

7,924 posts, read 7,811,466 times
I used to think bureaucracy was only in government.

Remember you work for the employer, not the department. I learned that a long long time ago.

Old 07-26-2014, 11:39 PM

143 posts, read 188,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Spock View Post
I want to tell a work place horror story and ask the fine readers of this board what I should have done:

I just started a new job and am trying to get my boss to recognize my expertise and competence. It has been slow going so far and I am afraid I lost his respect when I was not able to get something for him from another executive. Here is what happened:

My boss asked me to pick up an important document from the Executive VP of Finance and Accounting, a bigger than life woman of extreme power and charisma in a large national corporation. The Executive VP is also known as a very intimidating person who does not suffer fools and can be a real SOB.

Anyway, I walked into her office and stated her name to show her I was there. She would not acknowledge me or look up, she kept typing on her computer. I cleared my throat and said her name again. (Calling her Ms. Erickson). She still would not look up. I continued to stand there for maybe 60 seconds waiting for a reply, she still would not look up. So I went back to my bosses office and told her I could not get her attention. He got very angry and told me in no uncertain terms that he needed that document immediately and I needed to be more assertive and get that document from her. So I went back to her office to try again. This time she looked up from her computer and gave me a dirty look but even after three more attempts to get her to pay attention to me, she would not respond.

Finally, flustered, angry and red faced I walked back to my bosses office and told him again I was unsuccessful. He unloads on me and storms off. I have not heard from him since.

What should I have done? She is four levels above me on the organizational chart and her Executive Assistant is out of the office this week.
You could be a pawn in their office politics. They may have engaged in some kind of conflict which irritates the h*ll out of each other by just some incidental words or actions. By sending you there to retrieve the document, this lady could probably perceived that as a lack of respect on your boss intention. Hence the icy and rude reactions were unfairly placed on you. If the document is that important to him, your boss would have to retrieve it himself. For the lady, how did she get to that position without a level head?

Old 07-27-2014, 06:24 AM

7,924 posts, read 7,811,466 times
Wasn't this in office space

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nV7u1VBhWCE

why didn't the boss just email the person for the document so there's a record of the request?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment