Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2013, 07:20 AM

51 posts, read 105,101 times

Advertisements

Trekkie and CaliGirlz, thanks so much for coming to my defense on this. Having given this more thought it has dawned on me that both thebunny and I suffer from the same idealism. The belief that things are just and people live by principles, rules, and a sense of fairness. As I get older the rose colored glasses have come off. I am becoming that person that fears to trust anyone. I tend to take people at face value and am often shocked by what lies beneath. Don't be too hard on her. Obviously, she believes that people follow the rules. We all have to learn I guess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2013, 08:47 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,473,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s_terry View Post
Thanks again Tekkie. I'm researching this. I am wondering if having the PIP would be just cause to deny me? I have emails that show I made efforts to communicate with my team members. Was even given direction in one area and told I had leeway on how to get it done, then told in the meeting this was not the case. This is just nuts!
go with the flow of the pip. don't walk away refusing to do work or tell them to shove it. keep working hard. You'll qualify for unemployment.

Old 03-22-2013, 08:56 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,473,858 times
How long have you worked at this new job? Might be best to leave it off your resume completely if only a few months. that's what I would do.

Old 03-22-2013, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
How long have you worked at this new job? Might be best to leave it off your resume completely if only a few months. that's what I would do.

It's been 9 months.

Old 03-22-2013, 09:27 AM

10,137 posts, read 17,472,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
go with the flow of the pip. don't walk away refusing to do work or tell them to shove it. keep working hard. You'll qualify for unemployment.
Yes I went through a similar process. Sign the PIP with your rebuttal, if you don't sign the may be able to terminate you for insubordination which will affect your UI claim. If they are PIPing you they want you gone and they are making sure they do it legally. I can't think of more than a few people that survived their PIP and are still gainfully employed.

And yes you should be able to get UI I did, I was PIP'd for lack of sales and I have UI.

Old 03-22-2013, 09:28 AM

10,137 posts, read 17,472,767 times
Quote:
It's been 9 months.
9 months is tough, 1 year is kind of the magical number. I was let go after 11. I would keep it on there and explain that the company reorged or downsized.

Old 03-22-2013, 09:39 AM

1,723 posts, read 2,224,958 times
Quote:
I have to find another place to grow my career that appreciate caring, collaborative and hard working persons.

These people are crazy!!!

Anyone have any advice?
You should start looking for another job. It sounds like you are not happy there, either. And if the PIP reflects interpersonal issues with coworkers your chances are even lower, because there is some sort of social problem that is unlikely to go away. If it was a performanced based PIP and all you had to do was improve measurable production, then that would be easy enough to achieve and you could stay on, but it sounds like there are other motives at work, and you'll just be unhappy, and they are unlikely to change (their habits or their perception of you) even if you try to make changes yourself.

Old 03-22-2013, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint. View Post
You should start looking for another job. It sounds like you are not happy there, either. And if the PIP reflects interpersonal issues with coworkers your chances are even lower, because there is some sort of social problem that is unlikely to go away. If it was a performanced based PIP and all you had to do was improve measurable production, then that would be easy enough to achieve and you could stay on, but it sounds like there are other motives at work, and you'll just be unhappy, and they are unlikely to change (their habits or their perception of you) even if you try to make changes yourself.

Clint, I totally agree. How do you measure improvement on interpersonal conflict? You don't **** your co-workers off by offering a differing opinion? I understand and have excercised the discipline of influencing. Now that these same co-workers have been interviewed about my lack of communication skills, how can I effectively move forward and have an open dialogue as to how best to solve a problem? These folks just don't think like I do and they obviously don't see the value of looking at a problem from another angle. I thought sharing idea's was the optimal problem solving technique. I never argued a good idea down and frequently gave credit where due. I guess arguing the point is moot. I know what I need to do now. Just get on with it, and be more inquistive as to work place culture although it's hard to do when they are talking the talk. I don't want to place myself into a situation such as this ever again. I'm down but not out! It is scary though, but I can't forget that life is bigger than these few folks.

Old 03-22-2013, 10:04 AM

23,515 posts, read 23,986,796 times
In one company that I worked at, the HR Department did claim to represent employees, from things such as sexual harassment, etc. I suppose that many of the employees did project that to mean that HR's job was to protect employees from every matter.

Maybe just a misinterpretation by employees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebunny View Post
Very few HR departments claim to represent employees. In fact, I do not know any that do...we are very open about the fact that we will resolve issues per law and company policy.

Old 03-22-2013, 05:18 PM

1,263 posts, read 3,279,986 times
OP:

Your co-workers feel disrespect coming from you, whether you intended it or not. You admit yourself that you must give an aura of "thinking too much of myself", and I suspect your co-workers and bosses agree. I'm not saying they're right, but that's probably what happened.

See the red highlighted areas. I'm guessing you're older than your co-workers, and probably older than your boss?

You use lots of words like "little person", "girl" (instead of 'woman' for your boss), "young un's", "hissy fits", "tattle" (for your co-workers). They've obviously picked up on this attitude.

Quote:
{snip}

I called HR to report what I felt was a string of incidents geared toward putting me in my "place". I must give off the aura of thinking too "much of myself".

{snip}
I told the HR person I did not feel comfortable with my direct manager and Director. My direct manager is decent, but she carries out the directives of the Director. Smart girl, but she is being taught horrible leadership skills.

{snip}

I would often care enough to engage in team brainstorming sessions only to find someone getting upset because I ask or comment to a direct question. It was pissing the young un's off and they would run to the Director to tattle. I was guilty without being provided the benefit of sharing my perspective.

I was asked to "keep quiet". In fact the direct quote was, " You may have been a superstar where you came from, but here you just need to keep quiet since you know nothing about this business. This was denied to HR as well by management. Called a liar X 2

{snip}

I have not been treated as a respected, tenured professional. Little girls throw hissy fits that they don’t get a simple calculation, you admit that there was nothing wrong with my work, and I’m the problem??? How are you paying someone a salary that can’t get a core concept as it relates to their job? I have NEVER, EVER had the luxury of under-performing, let alone make false allegations, then blame someone else for it. Oh, the kicker this same little person all but admitted to my face that she was still pissed about something she perceived I did to her when I first started!! I shared this and it was meet with a big womp, womp, womp.
{snip}
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment