Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2013, 08:30 PM

1,148 posts, read 1,678,974 times

Advertisements

I have honestly reached the point where I feel that I would be be better off on welfare or in jail. I make about $1000 a month and can't make it anymore. I can't afford health care or the glasses I need and have maybe $2.00 left in my bank account. I am trying to find a second job, but everyone is looking to work a second job in my area because my area is a minimum wage hell hole so finding a second job has been difficult.

I am just wondering if anyone out there has made it out of minimum wage work and into the middle class within the past 4 years or so. I am wondering if there is any hope anymore because honestly I would rather be dead than continue to live like this.

Oh, I don't have cable and use free Internet. I do have a car because it is my only way to get to work because there is no public transportation in my area. I have pretty much cut everything remotely enjoyable out of my budget. So don't give me the living beyond my means bull **** and I should just love living without healthcare and the glasses I need. Yes, I am driving without glasses and do struggle to see signs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2013, 08:50 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,834,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redroses777 View Post
I have honestly reached the point where I feel that I would be be better off on welfare or in jail. I make about $1000 a month and can't make it anymore. I can't afford health care or the glasses I need and have maybe $2.00 left in my bank account. I am trying to find a second job, but everyone is looking to work a second job in my area because my area is a minimum wage hell hole so finding a second job has been difficult.

I am just wondering if anyone out there has made it out of minimum wage work and into the middle class within the past 4 years or so. I am wondering if there is any hope anymore because honestly I would rather be dead than continue to live like this.

Oh, I don't have cable and use free Internet. I do have a car because it is my only way to get to work because there is no public transportation in my area. I have pretty much cut everything remotely enjoyable out of my budget. So don't give me the living beyond my means bull **** and I should just love living without healthcare and the glasses I need. Yes, I am driving without glasses and do struggle to see signs.

Yeah I know how you feel, rising food prices, rising rent, and your pay stays the same. That's one of the reasons I had to cut back on dating.

Old 03-22-2013, 09:11 PM

29,664 posts, read 24,695,923 times
It's a crapshoot. I've watched people pour their hearts into their occupation, their education, everything that is supposed to give you a shot at modest success. Some make it, some don't. In all honesty, I believe it was always this way though, except maybe during the last boom phase we experienced in this country. People just had to keep trying until something stuck. What's frustrating is when you watch nitwits and slackers cakewalk their way to the top, for no apparent reason. Hard work can pay off, but so can a lot of less worthy traits.

I think for the time being, many Americans are in survival mode. Some fresh grads might have to wait tables or sling caffeinated beverages until something entry level opens up for them. There's just too many experienced workers out there to choose from for companies to bother bringing in new blood.

Me personally, I was never really down on my luck or anything, but I lost my good paying job around 2007. I was lucky that I was always a saver, but my earning potential was in the toilet. Took a $12/hr job that was 45 minutes from where I lived. Also boosted the number of classes I was taking at the college and found some part time gigs on top of everything. 2008 sucked even worse. Went full time in college and worked 2 part time jobs to keep some money coming in. Ended up getting fed up with the crappy job market where I lived. Packed my crap up and said good riddance. Shoulda done it sooner. Made more money with the one full time job than I did with the 3 combined. So, life went on and I can be satisfied with that. Had I stayed, I would probably be suffering the same fate that many of my friends are living... Few job opportunities and everything pays garbage. Lots of them worked their behinds off in college so they could escape mom and dad's place. A lot of them are still stuck there.

You are probably stuck in a crappy location with limited job opportunities. As much as I disliked the idea of living in the city, I was shocked by the sheer volume of job opportunities when I moved. I would consider doing anything possible to get out. I know you are short on cash... Any chance a family member might be willing to help you out? You're clearly not a bum, so if anyone has some loose change, you might be able to persuade them to help you out.

I'll tell ya one benefit of starting out poor though... You really appreciate the income later on. Hopefully, some of your penny pinching strategies will stick with you as you progress in your career, what ever it is you ultimately pursue.

Old 03-22-2013, 09:25 PM

1,057 posts, read 1,686,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redroses777 View Post

What job are you doing now?

What area are you in?

Phone sex pays well. You can keep your identity totally secret, flexible hours, zero chance of STD's, you can work from home and you can block any rude callers.

You could be a medical guinea pig. It's quite risky though. You better hope you get the placebos...

Old 03-22-2013, 11:40 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,410,599 times
Sorry but Fed head Ben Bernake telegraphed last year there will be no recovery until 2015. It's going to be a grind until then. Housing is what started this mess and watch housing to see the slow recovery. It's occurring but not fast enough for anyone.

Old 03-22-2013, 11:42 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,410,599 times
People laughed when I suggested this awhile back on the employment thread...........but you could clean homes and offices under the table for about $12 hour that's the going rate in So Cal anyway. Low start up low taxes. Window washing pays well too, no high rise too dangerous.

Old 03-23-2013, 12:04 AM

1,844 posts, read 2,415,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado xxxxx View Post
People laughed when I suggested this awhile back on the employment thread...........but you could clean homes and offices under the table for about $12 hour that's the going rate in So Cal anyway. Low start up low taxes. Window washing pays well too, no high rise too dangerous.
I neglected to respond to what I thought was a good idea when you first posted it. My bad.

Let me correct my original error. Personally, I think your idea is a good one, and I have seen it work here in NOVA, where the UE is supposed to be low. But - I've seen acquaintances laid off over this past six months, first time in six years I have seen layoffs. Another thing that has worked here is dog sitting/walking. E.g., any enterprise that saves time for the chronically overextended. Nobody who's working has any free time, so whatever helps them to extend their days = opportunity.

The killer here is traffic. Any service you provide cuts down your income if you need to slog it out over the streets or (heaven forbid) the Beltway and its arteries.

Old 03-23-2013, 05:53 AM

361 posts, read 919,884 times
Just go on welfare. You can make like $2200 a month on welfare. It's simple math - idk why people work these $9.00 jobs.

You didn't create the social conditions that generate unemployment or reduced the human race to the status of glorified clockwatchers. There's no honor in working - at least most jobs - I don't think. Get on the welfare rolls and let some bleeding heart liberal take care of you

Old 03-23-2013, 08:08 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,350,878 times
For the OP.

When I needed glasses on a budget I went to Walmart paid $40 for an exam and prescription and asked for a pupil distance measurement (all you need to order glasses is prescription and pupil distance). Then I bought the glasses from an online retailer. I used Zenni Optical and got a fine pair of glasses for ~$15.

Old 03-23-2013, 08:26 AM

2,775 posts, read 3,735,674 times
I know what your going through op. I work part time for a city municipality. I receive zero benefits aside from a bus pass, which, by-the-way, is only usable to and from work. I too have attempted, and still am, trying to find a second part time job. But my current employer frowns upon moonlighting. And even if my current employer approved my second job, which is lined with red tape and favors, every other employer out there requires a completely open available schedule. Companies now days intentionally make it harder for people to make a living.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment