Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2013, 05:32 PM

361 posts, read 920,131 times

Advertisements

Why not just tell them what you've written here already? Having to wait three months for an opening is a legitimate basis for asking for a higher salary.

Are you incurring expenses to move to this location? That's another legitimate reason to ask for higher pay. Have you done an internship? Written any articles on programming? Involved in any research projects in the field?

What is the company's mission - do you have skills that will greatly benefit the company's mission? If so then I'd sell that. Do some research into what the company is doing and really try to understand WHY they need you and the particular skills you bring to the job. Sell yourself. They're not doing you any favors by hiring you - get every cent that you think you're worth.

The only problem I see is that you don't have a prior salary in a similar position to compare to. THIS is usually what gives you leverage in asking. All the same I think you should keep in mind what I said above and negotiate in that manner.

Keep in mind though that I'm talking like $1,000 or $2000 here. If you had EXTENSIVE experience I'd say ask for more. But, as a newbie with maybe a small amount of experience and valuable skills - sure, I think you're entitled and owe it to yourself to negotiate in the $2,000 range.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2013, 06:03 PM

6 posts, read 20,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hughbay View Post
Why not just tell them what you've written here already? Having to wait three months for an opening is a legitimate basis for asking for a higher salary.

Are you incurring expenses to move to this location? That's another legitimate reason to ask for higher pay. Have you done an internship? Written any articles on programming? Involved in any research projects in the field?

What is the company's mission - do you have skills that will greatly benefit the company's mission? If so then I'd sell that. Do some research into what the company is doing and really try to understand WHY they need you and the particular skills you bring to the job. Sell yourself. They're not doing you any favors by hiring you - get every cent that you think you're worth.

The only problem I see is that you don't have a prior salary in a similar position to compare to. THIS is usually what gives you leverage in asking. All the same I think you should keep in mind what I said above and negotiate in that manner.

Keep in mind though that I'm talking like $1,000 or $2000 here. If you had EXTENSIVE experience I'd say ask for more. But, as a newbie with maybe a small amount of experience and valuable skills - sure, I think you're entitled and owe it to yourself to negotiate in the $2,000 range.
Thanks, this is along the lines of what I was thinking. Really I've been trying to figure out what I think is a reasonable increase request and I think your advice is fair. I do feel I have legitimate experience that correlates to the job, and I believe they see that, but obviously I can't proclaim to be an expert. the whole process from first handing them my resume to getting the offer was only 2ish weeks, which gave me the impression they want to grab me before I get a chance to consider anyone else. That's why I have the fear of being taken advantage of in the back of my mind.

On my end I want to ensure that I'm getting an offer I'm happy and comfortable with despite the wait and on their end they're making an offer that keeps me from straying to another company during the waiting period that is within the means of what they can/are willing to offer. Does that make sense?

Old 03-23-2013, 07:02 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,036,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syque View Post
Thanks, this is along the lines of what I was thinking. Really I've been trying to figure out what I think is a reasonable increase request and I think your advice is fair. I do feel I have legitimate experience that correlates to the job, and I believe they see that, but obviously I can't proclaim to be an expert. the whole process from first handing them my resume to getting the offer was only 2ish weeks, which gave me the impression they want to grab me before I get a chance to consider anyone else. That's why I have the fear of being taken advantage of in the back of my mind.

On my end I want to ensure that I'm getting an offer I'm happy and comfortable with despite the wait and on their end they're making an offer that keeps me from straying to another company during the waiting period that is within the means of what they can/are willing to offer. Does that make sense?

If that were the case, they wouldn't make you wait 3 months to start and risk the chance of losing you to another employer. Another possible reason why it only took 2 weeks from application to offer is that they are a bit less discriminate in hiring ... perhaps they anticipate a high attrition rate for the position.

Old 03-23-2013, 07:11 PM

29,678 posts, read 24,720,025 times
You don't always need to ask for more money. If you're getting an average salary at the beginning of your career, I'd say that's pretty good. You're talking about the average salary for workers WITH EXPERIENCE, for an entry level job!

Why don't you take the experience and offered wage and learn something... With a little time and experience, you'll have a bargaining chip at your disposal. Most of us have asked for more money at some point in our careers. When you're starting out, that's not the time to get pushy. They are paying for potential, not a functional worker. By simply asking for more money, they will probably get the impression that money is your primary concern, and you might prove to be a more expensive investment in the coming months and years.

Old 03-23-2013, 07:26 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,912,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LCSDays View Post
NEVER negotiate (or think you can negotiate) on your first job. Get your foot inside the door first.

Worry about the money later..
Bingo. As time goes on, in future professional jobs, it is likely you will be earnings several times this initial starting salary.

Worrying about starting pay at your FIRST professional job suggests a day-to-day mentality. You need a career building mentality.

Old 03-23-2013, 07:35 PM

3,027 posts, read 4,979,017 times
There's nothing wrong with negotiating, first job or not. The problem is you have nothing to negotiate with. If you can show a speciality in something they desire, or excel at something other candidates lack, then sure you can try to get high pay. Most likely they'll say no, and you accept their offer. I don't believe it will backfire.

Most companies won't pay higher for fresh college candidates because 1) you don't have a proven record, and 2) they're going to be spending a fortune training you for the first year.

Old 03-24-2013, 02:05 PM

3,158 posts, read 6,098,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnytang24 View Post
There's nothing wrong with negotiating, first job or not. The problem is you have nothing to negotiate with. If you can show a speciality in something they desire, or excel at something other candidates lack, then sure you can try to get high pay. Most likely they'll say no, and you accept their offer. I don't believe it will backfire.

Most companies won't pay higher for fresh college candidates because 1) you don't have a proven record, and 2) they're going to be spending a fortune training you for the first year.
Bingo!

Right now you are an unknown quantity. Your work ethic, your skills, your attitude and your output are all unproven. If the money is average, so be it. What makes you above average?

I am going to bet nothing. I base this on the fact that they are putting you off for three months. If you were truly a superstar, they would have found room in the current training class. Believe me, a company can move mountains if it wants to.

You are no worse off than any person who works in education. Graduate in May, wait until the new school year to start. Here are some suggestions:

- Get a part-time menial labor job in a coffee shop, restaurant, or something else. You'll make a little money to play with or to start paying off your loans.

- Volunteer your time to non-profit organization.

- Take a trip. Visit some relatives you haven't seen in a while. Going to see grandparents for a week or two is something I wish I could do again. Once they are gone, you'll realize that you should have spent more time with them.

- Start an exercise regimen. Once you start working full time, you'll realize that it is hard to stay in shape and eat healthy. Start the good habits now.

You have a summer off. Take advantage of it.

Old 04-02-2013, 03:06 PM

106 posts, read 308,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LCSDays View Post
NEVER negotiate (or think you can negotiate) on your first job. Get your foot inside the door first.

Worry about the money later. Besides, if money and benefits are your only concern, you are not the right person for the job, whatever it is.

Also, remember, in times like this, they can pretty much get whoever they want. Don't go in there thinking you are driving the bus. Far from it. At least ACT like you want the job, any job.
Terrible advice. Your starting salary will stick with you and gauge your earnings for the rest of your life. Low paying jobs look bad on resumes. The question is - is this really a terrible paying job or is the OP just complaining too much?

Old 04-02-2013, 06:29 PM

5,938 posts, read 4,678,079 times
I'm with jaypee - you have no leverage. Other than getting another job offer, you have very little to negotiate.

Many people take their first job, work 3 to 5 years, earn some experience and then take that experience elsewhere for a big pay increase.

Old 04-02-2013, 08:35 PM

1,636 posts, read 3,156,318 times
I'm working in HR and have a little bit of experience with comp and benefits modeling, as well as evaluating the skillsets of new college graduates, so I'm going to try and offer you some advice. I am also a young person who just graduated college in 2011, so I empathize with your desires to get the best start you possibly can.

I think you have an inaccurate perception of how people are compensated. You are not compensated for lost time unless you are a CEO or some highly sought after senior manager. You are not there yet, and if you act like that fresh out of college, rest assured nobody will hire you. While many of the CS jobs are unfilled, I assure you there are plenty of highly skilled grads throwing their resumes daily. A percentage of unfilled positions could mean many things. It could mean employers are not able to successfully recruit the right people, or that employers simply aren't getting a good pool. It's not always the case that there's not enough people applying.

With that being said, I think it's important that when you are in the final stages that you are very clear on what your benefits will be. This is for your own good and preparation.

What many people (young and experienced alike) don't realize is that being overcompensated can actually hurt your future earnings and progression. I had the opportunity to be educated on models that several employers use regarding pay ranges for experience, as well as the theories behind these models. Let's say you are a new college graduate and the pay range for your field in your town of choice is $50-$80K (again, these numbers are very arbitrary and being used for the example, so just imagine). Let's say you are offered this job, and somehow you negotiate that $80K right away, which let's assume is "overcompensating" you. Let's now say you get laid off and need to find another job. Believe me, nobody is safe from layoff. Highly qualified engineers with 30 years of background can be laid off. New people can be laid off. Now let's say you think this is no problem, you'll find another job. If you go to the next ABC company, and tell them you were making 80k at your previous job (which is too "high" for your skillset at this point in time), you will most likely be turned away for someone who is more towards that middle range, or the appropriate compensation. It's why as a company, we do "cash outs" instead of pay raises for folks at the upper quartile of their pay ranges. You still get your "raise", but in lump sum form. It's actually doing employees a favor in terms of their careers, but they don't seem to understand that.

With that being said, don't live your life being underpaid. I suggest after a few years, really see if you can find some compensation studies on your chosen field. Don't just ask the older experienced folks what they are making, or what they made 20 years ago. My organization is very transparent in payscales (if you get lower quartile pay, we actually have a scale based on performance that will clearly explain why you are in the lower quartile of payscales). Not every company is this transparent, and I wish they were. You may have to do some leg work.

Good luck to you, and the real world is much different than you think it is. I'm not scolding you (I've been there), but just because your major is in demand doesn't mean you follow different rules when it comes to compensation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment