Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2013, 07:58 AM

991 posts, read 1,110,243 times

Advertisements

Colorado XXXX my friend lives in Colorado where his passion is fly fishing. That's what he does...he makes money doing things related to fly fishing. Not much, but enough for the three basics (food, shelter, water). He sells some photographs sometimes to make a little extra but he doesn't want for much else. He lives in a cabin that is low rent (or perhaps none I don't know the specifics). He doesn't have/want a family, and likes his life the way it is. He gets around on a small motorbike - no car payments to speak of. It can be done.

My point is you can live without the trappings and follow your passion, but if you desire the lifestyle of say, a bank vice president in a tony suburban neighborhood then no, following your passion may not get you there. But not following your passion may not get you there either. Life is so fleeting and temporary anyway, does it really matter?

Last edited by KC_Sleuth; 03-27-2013 at 08:07 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2013, 04:40 PM

3,276 posts, read 7,845,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado xxxxx View Post
Most of the people I know that followed their passion................made no money and are back at their 9-5 jobs.
Except 9-5 is now 8-6 with occasional weekends and having a work cell phone so you can be reached at all times.

Old 03-27-2013, 05:41 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,481,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC_Sleuth View Post
Colorado XXXX my friend lives in Colorado where his passion is fly fishing. That's what he does...he makes money doing things related to fly fishing. Not much, but enough for the three basics (food, shelter, water). He sells some photographs sometimes to make a little extra but he doesn't want for much else. He lives in a cabin that is low rent (or perhaps none I don't know the specifics). He doesn't have/want a family, and likes his life the way it is. He gets around on a small motorbike - no car payments to speak of. It can be done.

My point is you can live without the trappings and follow your passion, but if you desire the lifestyle of say, a bank vice president in a tony suburban neighborhood then no, following your passion may not get you there. But not following your passion may not get you there either. Life is so fleeting and temporary anyway, does it really matter?
Great I am glad for him but it mostly supports my point........he doesn't make much money.....but hey if he is happy goood that's what counts.

Old 03-27-2013, 05:44 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,481,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticsnerd View Post
Except 9-5 is now 8-6 with occasional weekends and having a work cell phone so you can be reached at all times.
True dat!

I even responded to company e-mail from my smart phone until 8PM but I had one larger customer e-mailing Sunday afternoon and getting pissing call me when I didn't respond. I told him nicely to basically pound sand! If you buy enough to make my quota for the year we can chat about my indentured servant role.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment