Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2013, 09:05 PM

6,790 posts, read 8,173,046 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momotaro View Post
You are not bothering a company if you send a fax during traditional lunch hours. They will get to the fax, when they get to it.

I do admire you for not wanting to impose on lunches, not many people can be that considerate these days.
I agree on both counts. It is considerate, but most faxes come through a printer so they aren't loud, it will just come through, and when someone goes by the machine they will pick it up, and deliver it to whomever it's addressed to. I'm not sure why people think it's so crazy, a lot of people get faxes through their printer, at my office we still get them, they print out like regular copies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2013, 09:35 PM

585 posts, read 962,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtlquebec102 View Post
When I go out and apply for jobs in person at employers, I try not to apply between 11pm and 1am since workers on usually on break during that time and I don't want to bother them then. What do you think about faxing them a job application during those hours? I sent a company my resume through fax at 11am this morning and was wondering if that could have bothered them a little if a manager was on break. I know they could decide to read it later, but could seeing/hearing their fax machine distract them from their break if it's something not really important?

Or am I just over-thinking this?
I usually send faxes whenever (if I do. I don't send many faxes.). If it goes to a fax machine in their office it should be fine. They can just pick the paper up after lunch.

Besides, if you sent the fax after or before the lunch period wouldn't that be taking the person away from their work?

Old 03-26-2013, 09:43 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,025,086 times
My fax is loud because it's connected to my dot-matrix printer.

Old 03-26-2013, 10:08 PM

2,091 posts, read 7,491,074 times
If no one used FAX machines they wouldn't still make them. I have an all in one. Its fairly new. Your average person sending signed docs to an attorney will FAX them. Your average private person will pop something in a FAX long before they'd think of scanning then emailing. Really. I had to use a business to business FAX just today. Get real.

Old 03-26-2013, 10:16 PM

2,633 posts, read 6,381,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wireyourworld View Post
If no one used FAX machines they wouldn't still make them. I have an all in one. Its fairly new. Your average person sending signed docs to an attorney will FAX them. Your average private person will pop something in a FAX long before they'd think of scanning then emailing. Really. I had to use a business to business FAX just today. Get real.
Echosign
Docusign
RightSignature

All programs that allow electronic signature via email. For the average person. All acceptable in a court of law, and cheaper than faxing for the average joe.

That is, in fact, real.

Old 03-26-2013, 10:23 PM

I get that. But believe me. Regular people still FAX. My mom for instance. She can pop a doc into her printer scanner FAX before she'll try to figure out your gobbledygook.

I am in large companies daily that have huge hulking FAX copiers. Lets see. Vaccination copy from your vet to petsmart for taking a training class? Its faxed. one example.

Old 03-26-2013, 10:27 PM

But a resume?

Emailed.

Old 03-26-2013, 11:14 PM

Not if they say to send a FAX. I don't really see why everyone is so surprised at this. Lots of places will have you FAX. FAX machines exist. They are still being sold. Embrace the concept that the world does not revolve around your own perspective.

Old 03-26-2013, 11:55 PM

Considering that the latest statistics show that only 5.5% of the US population uses a fax, it's surprising that you don't see why so many people have a hard time believing that a company would request a fax.

Yes - they requested it. No - it's not normal.

Good for the OP for following instructions. I would just be wary (my opinion only) of a company that is so slow to embrace technology and developments in efficiency.

Old 03-27-2013, 06:25 AM

I doubt those stats asked company in the us. Or every person. I guess I am just a bit upset for the op, did they ever come back? Probably not. They asked a question about politeness and respect and got just the opposite here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment