Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2013, 12:05 PM

1 posts, read 1,440 times

Advertisements

I agree with Joe from Dayton it was wrong to insult her, but I beleive she is in the wrong with requiring the training be mandatory. It is my understanding that under the FLSA, job related training mandated by the company, scheduled outside regular working hours, must be PAID. Not paid for by the employee, but paid by the employer and employees should be compensated regular wages for the hour(s) of training. Check with your HR folks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2013, 12:39 PM

18,759 posts, read 11,796,009 times
I think insulting her with a hurtful comment about her weight was very unkind. I think I would have said that I would be checking with HR about the conflick of interest with having your manager charge for a mandatory class sounds illegal. That may have been enough to have her back off. First and foremost she is a human being and a young and inexperienced one at that. Perhaps taking that into consideration before hurting her feelings should have been a thought. There's nothing wrong with staying on the high road and having some class.

Old 03-28-2013, 01:22 PM

12,108 posts, read 23,281,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea34 View Post
I agree with Joe from Dayton it was wrong to insult her, but I beleive she is in the wrong with requiring the training be mandatory. It is my understanding that under the FLSA, job related training mandated by the company, scheduled outside regular working hours, must be PAID. Not paid for by the employee, but paid by the employer and employees should be compensated regular wages for the hour(s) of training. Check with your HR folks.

Yes, not only is it a conflict of interest, the company must pay for the training and for the hours spent in the class.

Old 03-28-2013, 01:29 PM

763 posts, read 2,604,950 times
Sounds like this F&B person has lost her mind, or on a serious power trip. The only way this "training" could be labeled as mandatory is if the company sanctioned the training. Along with that, if the company sanctioned the training, the company would in turn, PAY for the training. This person cannot claim this is mandatory training AND charge for it. It can only be mandatory if the company says it's mandatory, not the trainer. Sounds like she's trying to make a name for herself along with some questionable $$$ in the process. Yea, give her enough rope....she'll hang herself.

Old 03-28-2013, 01:32 PM

3,652 posts, read 4,705,450 times
The TC's 'unnecessary' insult aside, it's an obvious conflict for the supervisor to mandate a paid course(where she's the teacher!) to subordinates in this manner. If it truly is mandatory, then the company should either be directly paying for it or have incorporated 'training' compensation into the F and B manager's salary.

I mean come on, how unethical is that? No I'm sorry...ethics? What's that?

Last edited by Roman77; 03-28-2013 at 02:04 PM..

Old 03-28-2013, 01:34 PM

76 posts, read 216,841 times
The problem with her is that she desperately needs to get laid. If you volunteered for this assignment, I think it would smooth things out.

Old 03-28-2013, 01:43 PM
YAZ

7,708 posts, read 14,086,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randolf Kendall View Post
The problem with her is that she desperately needs to get laid. If you volunteered for this assignment, I think it would smooth things out.
Cruel and unusual punishment.......but go ahead.....OP...take one for the team!

Old 03-28-2013, 01:55 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,305,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mashed Potatoes View Post
I am a bar manager at a resort, and they hired a 24 year old morbidly obese woman as our new "Food and Beverage" director. This creature demanded we all take a class on how to deal with drunk people, a class that she just so happens to teach. After telling me the class would cost $30, I said no thanks.

She then went on to say that the class is now mandatory, even though I have already taken all of the state required classes. I told her I have been in the industry since she was 9 years old, and I respectfully decline to take her little class. She again stated that the class would be mandatory, so I asked her when would having a healthy body mass index be a requirement.

She turned 100 different shades of red, marched into HR and I received a write up for "insubordination" lol. This creature has managed to alienate every employee in the department in the 3 weeks she has been there, and unless she changes her attitude, she will have everyone working against her, not with her.

Just had to vent
If you work for a resort, report her to Corporate for attempting to charge employees $30 for a "mandatory" class.

As the "Food and Beverage" Director, if she wants the employees she supervises to learn whatever it is in this class, she should do it AS PART OF HER JOB, not charge the employees for it.

Report her to Corporate.

Old 03-28-2013, 02:03 PM

2,538 posts, read 4,711,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
If you work for a resort, report her to Corporate for attempting to charge employees $30 for a "mandatory" class.

As the "Food and Beverage" Director, if she wants the employees she supervises to learn whatever it is in this class, she should do it AS PART OF HER JOB, not charge the employees for it.

Report her to Corporate.
This is the part I find bizarre. I assume she works for the same employer as the OP. Wouldn't the training be part of HER employee responsibility. I can't imagine walking in to work one day and demanding that my co-workers pay me $30 each to teach them about some new technology. If I was able to get away with that I would be close to retirement by now. As a senior employee it is part of my job description to train and mentor other employees.

Old 03-28-2013, 02:09 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,305,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet Jones View Post
This is the part I find bizarre. I assume she works for the same employer as the OP. Wouldn't the training be part of HER employee responsibility. I can't imagine walking in to work one day and demanding that my co-workers pay me $30 each to teach them about some new technology. If I was able to get away with that I would be close to retirement by now. As a senior employee it is part of my job description to train and mentor other employees.
Exactly! It's insane. Same thing here!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment