Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2013, 04:27 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,479,644 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
While I find her being paid to teach at a place of employment hypocritical, I'd also write you up for an "out of line" sarcastic reply. I would not join in any chorus against her, as quite frankly, she could "fire you" as a silent message to get the others in line.
Just tell her no problem I skim more than $30 a night anway

Seriously it is little stuff like that which creates bad will immediately.

Why is she allowed to be an independent contractor and a direct employee? She is the one skimming.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2013, 04:32 PM

1,137 posts, read 971,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post
Geez. OK. We get it. She's fat. Good grief! You're no better a person than she is. She might be trying too hard to "make a name for herself", but you're not the better person for calling her all kinds of mean and nasty names. Two wrongs don't make a right.

If you're such a wonderful bartender, I'm sure there are plenty of other bars that would love to have you - so that you won't have to work with a person whom you seem to find as being such a threat to your delicate sensibilities.

Reading through this thread, one can't help but wonder - if she was a hottie, would you feel or have behaved any differently? Instead of "creature" might you have used "*****" instead?

If the company says you need to take the class. You take the class or risk losing the job. She represents the company. Man up or move out. It's pretty simple.
My delicate sensibilities? She was the one who got huffy puffy when I simply implied the very obvious....

I actually do receive job offers, but I have cultivated a pretty decent following, made some good friends, and I genuinely enjoy the place I currently work at.

If she was a hottie, I definitely wouldnt have thought differently in terms of being forced to take a class in which she will directly benefit from. I wouldnt have needed to mention BMI, but the feeling wouldve been the same.

Old 03-28-2013, 04:52 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,427,673 times
The OP handled the problem in an unprofessional manner. If you had a problem with the class the best course of action would be to forward an email copy of the law disallowing a company to force an employee to take compulsory training at their own expense. The next step would be to bring it to HR's attention as its their job to make sure the company is complying with laws and isn't going to get sued.

Insults are how you handle conflicts in JR High school or a political campaign.

Old 03-28-2013, 04:57 PM

1,479 posts, read 2,719,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mashed Potatoes View Post
so I asked her when would having a healthy body mass index be a requirement.
You're an arsehole for saying that to her. You shouldn't make that comment to anyone, much less a coworker.

Old 03-28-2013, 05:00 PM

1,469 posts, read 1,801,443 times
Default Oh my gosh!!

Quote:
I am a bar manager at a resort, and they hired a 24 year old morbidly obese woman as our new "Food and Beverage" director. This creature demanded we all take a class on how to deal with drunk people, a class that she just so happens to teach. After telling me the class would cost $30, I said no thanks.

She then went on to say that the class is now mandatory, even though I have already taken all of the state required classes. I told her I have been in the industry since she was 9 years old, and I respectfully decline to take her little class. She again stated that the class would be mandatory, so I asked her when would having a healthy body mass index be a requirement.

She turned 100 different shades of red, marched into HR and I received a write up for "insubordination" lol. This creature has managed to alienate every employee in the department in the 3 weeks she has been there, and unless she changes her attitude, she will have everyone working against her, not with her.

Just had to vent

No you did NOT say THAT!!! BOL

Old 03-28-2013, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottay View Post
You're an arsehole for saying that to her. You shouldn't make that comment to anyone, much less a coworker.
I'm an ahole for pointing out the obvious?

Perhaps I'm just very concerned about her health and if she turns out to be a great manager, I want her to stick around and not drop dead of heart failure.

Old 03-28-2013, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seekingcreativity View Post
No you did NOT say THAT!!! BOL
Oh yea, got quite a few chuckles from the wait staff

Old 03-28-2013, 05:27 PM

2,687 posts, read 7,409,152 times
Default well...

Quote:
I am a bar manager at a resort, and they hired a 24 year old morbidly obese woman as our new "Food and Beverage" director. This creature demanded we all take a class on how to deal with drunk people, a class that she just so happens to teach. After telling me the class would cost $30, I said no thanks.

She then went on to say that the class is now mandatory, even though I have already taken all of the state required classes. I told her I have been in the industry since she was 9 years old, and I respectfully decline to take her little class. She again stated that the class would be mandatory, so I asked her when would having a healthy body mass index be a requirement.

She turned 100 different shades of red, marched into HR and I received a write up for "insubordination" lol. This creature has managed to alienate every employee in the department in the 3 weeks she has been there, and unless she changes her attitude, she will have everyone working against her, not with her.

Just had to vent
If it's 'manadatory', then you are not responsible for the fee, your employer is. So go, and nod, and have a good day. Choose your battles. This is not one you can win w/out loosing your job. And learn to keep your apparent attitude in check, it's not doing you any favors.
K

Old 03-28-2013, 06:29 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,968,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado xxxxx View Post
Just tell her no problem I skim more than $30 a night anway

Seriously it is little stuff like that which creates bad will immediately.

Why is she allowed to be an independent contractor and a direct employee? She is the one skimming.
Perhaps, but my hunch is her boss and H/R knew of the plan for the class beforehand. If so, H/R will listen to the OP, but it is "lip service".

Old 03-28-2013, 06:30 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,968,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottay View Post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment