Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2013, 04:04 PM

29,817 posts, read 24,898,335 times

Advertisements

Depends what trade. Electrical and plumbing trades were hurting pretty bad at the start of the recession. Something like 30% were unemployed, at least those working for the union. A lot of trades are heavily dependent on new construction, which has been very slow for the past 5 years. There's always maintenance and repair work that needs to be done, but there isn't always a lot of money in that stuff. Depending on the experience and skill required for the job, we have an awful lot of illegals here who view various trades as their gravy ticket. They will happily work for $8/hr while they gain experience. Can you compete against that? I wouldn't even try.

Round here, most of the guys in the machining trade doing any skilled work are over 40, and more like over 50. In the next 5-10 years, I can see employers having a very hard time replacing workers for many of the high skilled jobs in manufacturing. Not so much in production work, but in areas that require more hands on experience and manual dexterity. There will always be some of that work to go around, especially for one off items, or items used in the production process. Not many people are interested in that kind of work anymore though. Employers also have a hard time finding candidates willing to put the time in to learn, and willing to start at today's entry level wages. $10/hr simply won't afford a candidate who can learn this type of work.

Solid employment? Only when there is work. I've been in the machining trade on and off for about 4 years. Been laid off twice, but that was early on when the recession was trashing everything. They'll try to hold on to the good guys, but if there's no work, there's no money coming in to make that a possibility. Tradesman are usually the first to go at most companies.

I found my job through my HS vocational program. The program itself was terminated the year I graduated. Very few young folks are getting into my trade, and the vocational schooling situation is not helping. I'm always the youngest in the skilled trade department by about a decade. Most of the young guys end up babysitting machines or robots for about $10/hr.

Strenuous? As in heavy lifting? You will encounter that to varying degrees depending on the type of work. At least in my case, the machines do most of the work. The most I will have to do is muscle 30-40 lb fixtures once in awhile. For most heavy items, I will use chain hoists or a forklift. Protect your back as much as possible. It's your meal ticket. I don't care if someone thinks I'm a wuss because I use lifting equipment instead of manhandling 90 lbs. Seen too many people with back injuries in the trades.

Trades are ok. I much prefer this type of work to the other jobs available today. It won't make you rich, but if you save and plan wisely, you can do fine financially. You won't make much starting out, but if you're a quick learner and put the effort in, you can climb the pay scale with ease. You just gotta fight for your raises at some places. On the other hand, you're only paid relative to your contribution to your employer, and your output. In other words, you're paid what you're worth, and never any more. Don't go into a trade because of the money though, go into a trade because it's what you will enjoy. If you don't enjoy it, you won't progress, and it will probably always be a low paying job.

If you're interested in learning more, you might be able to contact local businesses and shadow tradesman. Some of the companies I have worked for in the past would have HS students come in and view the shop floor. We also worked in coordination with local trade programs to allow students to get some hands on experience. I think more folks need exposure to the trades, because there are jobs, there is opportunity, but most of that is lost on the young folks today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2013, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretkona View Post
Here is the teaser.
I earn the same amount per hour as the nurses I used to date make.
I just loaded my truck yesterday for a new job in San Jose, only about 500 pounds of tools including the toolbox. Nurses bring their scrubs and stethoscopes to work.
Most nurses live within 10 miles of their employment, I am driving 127 miles tomorrow.
I make $45 a hour with benefits. A nurse makes $45 with benefits but can sign a waiver to give up benefits for $12 more in wages. Useful if spouse has full coverage for family.

If I was looking at future careers I would look into the medical field. No seasonal work, work does not disappear in poor economies. Not just paid vacation but paid sick leave, paid jury duty, paid personal leave. Very little lifting instead of constant lifting.

My wife has been reconsidering her career. I have been guiding her toward respiratory therapy. She would earn $45 a hour within one year of starting training at a tech college.

Years ago back in 1982 a friend was laughing at me saying the cabinet installers were the brawn when the cabinet builders were the brains.
I asked him how he considered himself so smart making $15 a hour in the shop when we were earning $25 in the field. He was just filing for bankruptcy as well that weekend. I told him I thought a "smart" person would do what it took to provide for their family.

Looking back I wish I had been smarter and found different work.
There will always be people who make more money. There are also plenty of careers that pay less. And things are always changing. Nurses used to make garbage while tradesman were rolling in the dough. Things change. Who knows what the situation will be in another 10-20 years. Again, not many young folks getting into the trades. Like everything else, wages/benefits are dependent on supply and demand, and that could influence the future outlook.

Medical professionals are only making considerably more because the health care industry doesn't obey the laws of basic economics. Much of that sector is subsidized in one form or another by the government. We have the highest cost of care here in the U.S. than any other nation, which largely explains the wage situation.

And really, half the country earns less than $500/week. I'm not getting rich, but in times like these, I'm glad I have a skillset that affords a comfortable standard of living, puts food in the refrigerator, etc. But it all goes back to what I often suggest... Pick a trade because it's something you will enjoy, and not for the money. At least for me, the rewards go far beyond the paycheck.

A lot of the older guys I have encountered have a really bitter attitude towards their career choice. You can tell who went into it for the money, and who went into it because it's what they love. They also don't quite understand the employment situation today as much as younger folks like me. It is tough out there in many occupations. A lot of people would love $20/hr. Many of them would be perfectly happy with $15/hr. And plenty of others just want a job other than burger flipping or retail. Trades are still a decent choice in the grand scheme of things, at least in my opinion.

But you make a good point regarding tools. We can't go to Harbor and Freight and buy tools cheap Chinese tools. If you're going to do this kind of work professionally, you need tools that will last, and they ain't cheap. Hitting estate sales and craigslist has always been a sound way to curb my expenses, and it's all tax deductible at the end of the year.

Old 03-28-2013, 04:35 PM

3,118 posts, read 5,355,544 times
The unemployment rates for the trades are worse now than it has ever been. A lot of guys are out of work.

Old 03-28-2013, 05:03 PM

1,479 posts, read 2,719,270 times
It's easy to get into the trades. You don't even need a high school diploma. Just walk into their office and ask for an application. You'll have to start off doing grunt work like digging trenches, carrying wood etc but will eventually be asked to start building.

I was a residential electrician for a few summers while I was in college. I learned a lot and was happy to have a job where I was up moving around after pushing a pencil and clicking away on a calculator all semester. Basic construction skills are good to have.

Old 03-28-2013, 05:44 PM

361 posts, read 922,217 times
Quote:
Trades are ok. I much prefer this type of work to the other jobs available today.
Yeah, I don't care about the money so much as knowing in my own heart that I can actually DO something. Selling people stuff they don't need or whipping an senile person's ass are not skills or talents - I don't care how much they pay.

Old 03-28-2013, 06:16 PM

5,020 posts, read 7,223,411 times
Here in Florida, construction is pretty much left to migrant labor, at least the non-Union jobs. Not just residential work-big utility jobs also. One or two shoppie Americans running the job and the rest aren't. I'm not blaming the workers, but this is the reality of what contractors are hiring.

I'm lucky. I've been an industrial electrician for 30 years. Traveled the country working the "big" jobs for 15 years and for the last 15 I've worked for a municipality. Took a pretty big cut in pay, but knowing I have steady work and benefits is more than worth it.

Old 03-28-2013, 08:08 PM

7,787 posts, read 8,027,560 times
As a Carpenter for 43 years I have plenty of work and may not retire next year as the demand for old school type Carps increase . the new wave of slam bam and Mexican hacks is just not acceptable to custom remodels and historic renovations.You don't just work you hone your skills and become the best and master your tools.I live out west but some of the best skilled Carps who could cope crown without thinking twice were from the newengland states where pride in workmanship ruled.Good trade with an upcoming shortage as folks get away from factory housing.It's not a job it's your life,the way it was meant to be.

Old 03-28-2013, 11:23 PM

475 posts, read 852,876 times
Cars were my thing, my wife went to college but I decided to serve in the Army for a few years and went to a school in Aberdeen Proving Ground Maryland for Refrigeration. My MOS was 52 Charlie Utility Equipment Repair, which in my day was the military version of a refrigeration repair guy, worked on military style a/c units and such.

I got into cars after my military career and have worked for Honda, Dodge, and a National Service Chain. I have spent tons of money on tools, ASE certifications, continued training and various other. I love what I do and have learned a lot over the years and really the one good thing about being an automotive technician is that you develop a lot of transferable skills. From researching technical data to diagnosing a check engine light, and even the simple maintenance and inspection can develop certain skill sets and is really the foundation for moving up to the next level.

Most of the good job offers I ever received were not because I had a college degree, most of them came because I had served in the military or had experience in a technical skill such as automotive.

Old 03-29-2013, 12:56 AM

7,473 posts, read 4,014,781 times
Try the railroads.They use a lot of welders. they will train you,also other trades used.I worked there for 37 years. You could do a lot worse.their retirement is hard to beat.Its a hard life though.... not for the meek........

Old 03-29-2013, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdoorgunner View Post
Try the railroads.They use a lot of welders. they will train you,also other trades used.I worked there for 37 years. You could do a lot worse.their retirement is hard to beat.Its a hard life though.... not for the meek........
How do you get into that kind of work these days? Seems like a lot of those jobs are sort of passed down. In other words, you gotta know someone on the inside to get it. People seem to make long careers outa that work, which means the companies don't have to bring in new blood all that often. I tried applying a couple times, but never heard back. Had a neighbor a year ago that worked for the railroad... Wish I woulda said something about getting me in...

Do they take skilled workers or do they prefer training their own?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment