Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2013, 05:46 PM

470 posts, read 438,321 times

Advertisements

They all said that women can be vicious bullies, back stabbers, mean gossip artists you name it. Basically the consensus was that women can be more brutal than men at the work place. Why the topic came up at Easter I have no idea but anyways is it true, if so why?

Old 03-31-2013, 05:49 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,512,088 times
I've worked for both. I say it depends entirely on the individual and not the gender. I've had one male boss and two female bosses that mentored and helped me up the ladder.

Old 03-31-2013, 05:50 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,197,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the mask View Post
They all said that women can be vicious bullies, back stabbers, mean gossip artists you name it. Basically the consensus was that women can be more brutal than men at the work place. Why the topic came up at Easter I have no idea but anyways is it true, if so why?
It depends on the woman or man. Some PEOPLE are better to work for than others.
Your genitalia doesn't make you a good boss, your leadership skills do.

Old 03-31-2013, 06:01 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times
There is some rational to this. With opposite genders, there is less clashing. If you were to rent a room, which do you think would be easier, renting to someone of the same gender or different?

If there's a disagreement between a guy and a chick it's because they're "different". If there's a disagreement between two guys or two chicks, it's because he/she's a jerk/bit**.

Old 03-31-2013, 06:20 PM

315 posts, read 563,744 times
I have worked for both, I can say it honestly depends on the individual. My first boss was a guy, most laid back easygoing guy I've worked for and he was a real pleasure to have as a boss. My second boss was OK but could be extremely overbearing - not mean spirited on purpose but sometimes came off as such. I quit my last job mainly because of distance but I will admit I don't miss working for her. My new bosses (one's a guy and one's a girl) are both wonderful.

Old 03-31-2013, 06:31 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,038,222 times
I have worked for both, and as previous posters note it is about individual personality, not gender.

People who make these blanket statements are silly and naive.

Old 03-31-2013, 06:39 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,409,587 times
Quote:
Anecdotal but I've heard similar things from the women in my life and at work. They also say it gets particularly bad when the woman boss have relationship issues or perceive a subordinate has a happier personal life than she does.

Old 03-31-2013, 07:41 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
my wife preferred it too but my opinio is that men normally treat woemn with defferference is why. I know I did at work because of how I was raised;basically.My wife alos said men can criise without takig it preosnally .She thinks it becasue they have e been taught to work wit others and not take thnig ngsd so personally over decades.Yur gues is as good as any.

Old 03-31-2013, 09:04 PM

4,196 posts, read 4,449,313 times
Quote:

Perhaps it came up at Easter Dinner due to 'crucifixion'? Seriously, as a man I've worked for both genders and have had good and bad. I surmise the same female boss of female staff may lend itself to a bit more social competition / envy than men as (and I know I'm generalizing here) men can (in older generations) seemingly compartmentalize and focus on the job at hand more with less concern for interrelated socialization perceived hierarchy than women.

By this, I mean women due to anthropological evolution are less likely to concede (social) rank and seek back handed ways to exert themselves and will likely let perceived slights instill behind the scenes 'combat in the social pecking order', whereas, I believe men (again older generations - I'm not sure if this holds steady with large amount of young men raised by single moms and in a PC culture which has tried to feminize them) will likely let the rank and the job responsibilities work themselves out (and in turn worry less about social pecking order) and go on about their work more readily than a woman would. JMO Don't crucify me!

I'm speaking as someone who has worked mostly in professional office environments. I suspect this may not be the case anywhere one has more emotionally immature employees and I'm guessing this may not hold true across different types of work environments as I recall my brief forays in youth in manufacturing and union environment that there were quite a few emotionally immature.

Old 04-01-2013, 07:26 AM

2,682 posts, read 4,479,280 times
From my experience it is the childless women that are the worst and if they are single, even worse. They have the time to drive you crazy. I've worked for two of these and it was bad. My current boss, also female, puts her family first and doesn't bother us. What a difference! I don't find men to be this way. Men seem to be more rational when women are hormonally affected.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment