Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2013, 08:11 AM

361 posts, read 921,755 times

Advertisements

Why not just look for another job instead of quitting outright?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2013, 08:19 AM

5,730 posts, read 10,120,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kees View Post
Right now I have about 8 months expenses saved up.... you'd be surprised how many don't though.

Every time I go to an ATM machine I always see receipts laying around on the ground, and I always pick them up (don't litter) and look... balances I see are 99% of the time less than $100.

The receipt I saw yesterday had a $6.03 checking account balance. I wonder if these people have huge 401k accounts?
I zero out my checking account every month (today I will be... The first) and spend out of it thought the month, after taking out savings.

Yesterday if I had left a recept somewhere people could have seen less than $100 in my checking.
They wouldn't of seen the ~$65k in the savings account!

It's not always a good yardstick.

Old 04-01-2013, 08:57 AM

194 posts, read 635,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hughbay View Post
Why not just look for another job instead of quitting outright?
Lol. You guys are funny. Of course the person in this hypothetical scenario would be looking for other jobs in the meantime. But what if the work environment was so caustic that if no other decent job came around, the only way to save their sanity would be to quit their current job as soon as they saved up enough? That's the question.

Old 04-01-2013, 10:47 AM

2,533 posts, read 4,600,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
Generally, someone who already has a job, but, applying for another, is more likely to be hired than someone out-of-work.
It's funny how that works. When I changed jobs in December I was hired the same day... Had I been unemployed I wouldn't have heard anything for weeks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post

It's not always a good yardstick.
Yeah I keep my checking and savings accounts fairly balanced... Not that it really matters with one touch balance transfers via smartphone.

Old 04-01-2013, 10:57 AM

977 posts, read 1,814,327 times
Personally, 2 years of expenses. It's a tough economy and I'm not that sanguine about my employment prospects were I to quit w/o another gig lined up.

Old 04-01-2013, 04:24 PM

23,496 posts, read 23,955,758 times
One year, for most people, or 18 months, to be very safe.

Old 04-01-2013, 04:38 PM

3,276 posts, read 7,840,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kees View Post
Right now I have about 8 months expenses saved up.... you'd be surprised how many don't though.

Every time I go to an ATM machine I always see receipts laying around on the ground, and I always pick them up (don't litter) and look... balances I see are 99% of the time less than $100.

The receipt I saw yesterday had a $6.03 checking account balance. I wonder if these people have huge 401k accounts?
I currently have around $100 in my checking account and $12 in my savings account.... and well, I'll just say I have a lot more than that in my brokerage account.

Only an idiot would keep more than a few hundred dollars in a bank account nowadays. Interest rates on savings/checking accounts aren't anywhere near what inflation is, so you are actually losing money by keeping it in the bank. Meanwhile, there are plenty of relatively safe stocks that pay 6%-10% in dividends. Even if the share price drops, you are still collecting those fat dividend payments.

Old 04-01-2013, 04:49 PM

105 posts, read 144,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticsnerd View Post
I currently have around $100 in my checking account and $12 in my savings account.... and well, I'll just say I have a lot more than that in my brokerage account.

Only an idiot would keep more than a few hundred dollars in a bank account nowadays. Interest rates on savings/checking accounts aren't anywhere near what inflation is, so you are actually losing money by keeping it in the bank. Meanwhile, there are plenty of relatively safe stocks that pay 6%-10% in dividends. Even if the share price drops, you are still collecting those fat dividend payments.
Not always the smartest thing- if you need cash on hand it's smart to have more in a savings account- otherwise you could be forced to sell after a huge drop, at which point a 6% dividend won't do you much good.

Old 04-01-2013, 04:55 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,957,202 times
Two years of living expenses, minimum.

Old 04-01-2013, 06:04 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,112,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticsnerd View Post

Only an idiot would tell people to only keep a few hundred dollars in their bank account.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment