Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2013, 10:31 PM

3,082 posts, read 5,436,466 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado xxxxx View Post
I hate to tell you Tekkie but this will probably be the case for any white collar job that is exempt until the economy significantly improves and that going to be at least a few years.

You actually might like sales spec. account management. No cold calling, hours are flex, pay is better than support.
My buddy works as a Business Analyst and makes probably in the low $60s. He said at most he works 45 hours per week and it's busy for him. I'm going to disagree with you and say this is primarily a unique circumstance with this particular company. My last job was also nothing like this. I started that in 2008.

Also, I will never do sales again if I can help it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2013, 10:39 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,961,065 times
Quote:
I hate to tell you Tekkie but this will probably be the case for any white collar job that is exempt until the economy significantly improves and that going to be at least a few years..
LOL! With a 5 figure US headcount, and 4 figure white collar exempt headcount, we'd have fewer than 50 corporate-wide working more than 50 hours on average. I'd estimate 1 in ten works 45 hours, on average.

Old 04-01-2013, 10:40 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,123,839 times
The way I see it you have two options:

1. Find another job
2. Have an honest conversation with your boss. Explain that this is not what you signed up for and tell them what HR said to you.

Old 04-01-2013, 10:44 PM

3,082 posts, read 5,436,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
The way I see it you have two options:

1. Find another job
2. Have an honest conversation with your boss. Explain that this is not what you signed up for and tell them what HR said to you.
Let's face it. 98% of the time it's find another job. Mgmt doesn't give a crap that you feel you're working too much. To them, you're never working enough.

Old 04-01-2013, 10:50 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,123,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekkie View Post
Let's face it. 98% of the time it's find another job. Mgmt doesn't give a crap that you feel you're working too much. To them, you're never working enough.
Probably. And if they think you are easily replaceable they probably wouldn't do much for you. But you never know. If your boss recognizes you as a good talent and factors in what it would cost to replace you they may do something. It does happen despite all the doom and gloom out there.

Old 04-01-2013, 11:04 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,471,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
LOL! With a 5 figure US headcount, and 4 figure white collar exempt headcount, we'd have fewer than 50 corporate-wide working more than 50 hours on average. I'd estimate 1 in ten works 45 hours, on average.
Wow Bob sign me up. Maybe it's because I work with all salespeople and before that investing and finance where we worked when the markets moved regardless of time.

Old 04-01-2013, 11:06 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,961,065 times
Quote:
Wow Bob sign me up. Maybe it's because I work with all salespeople and before that investing and finance where we worked when the markets moved regardless of time.
Even our Sales admin/support staff seldom exceed the hours above.

Old 04-01-2013, 11:30 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,810,437 times
Quote:
I know that most of you will say "find a new job". I agree with that, but I still wanted to vent about this.

I talked to my supervisor today about what is going on in my world. Anyway, I brought up that my volume has picked up significantly and I've been easily putting in between 50-60 hours a week. I am exempt, so that is between 10-20 hours of FREE overtime. Her response was not too comforting. In a polite way, she said, "this is what we signed up for. And I'm just telling you the truth, it's only going to get busier from here. Management is going to roll out a new project soon and your volume is going to double".

I wanted to address her "this is what we signed up for" comment, but I left it alone. However, I'll address it here. When I was hired for this job, HR boasted about our "fantastic" 8:30 - 5pm work schedule. That includes lunch and boils down to a 7.5 hour day. Now, I'm not against working the occasional OT. But keep in mind, all OT I work is not paid for. Also, keep in mind, I do not make a bunch of money. I make around $47k/yr with a bonus that puts me around $50k +/-. With all the ridiculous OT I'm expected to put in, my real salary is probably somewhere around $25k/yr.

Anyway, I just wanted to express how ludicrous some employers are with regards to the amount of time they expect their employees to work. I don't care what anybody says. If/when a company lures you into their position with a false claim about the schedule you'll be working, and then tells you down the road that the expectation is that you'll work whatever ridiculous hours they want you to work at no additional cost to them, that is slimy and pathetic.

Needless to say, I'm looking for a new job. I'm still pretty perturbed that this is considered a valid and just way of conducting business.
you need to check exempt labor laws as when I worked it was no overtime or comp until over 48 hours then it was one or the other.

Old 04-02-2013, 02:33 AM

432 posts, read 1,227,841 times
Quote:
I know that most of you will say "find a new job". I agree with that, but I still wanted to vent about this.

I talked to my supervisor today about what is going on in my world. Anyway, I brought up that my volume has picked up significantly and I've been easily putting in between 50-60 hours a week. I am exempt, so that is between 10-20 hours of FREE overtime. Her response was not too comforting. In a polite way, she said, "this is what we signed up for. And I'm just telling you the truth, it's only going to get busier from here. Management is going to roll out a new project soon and your volume is going to double".

I wanted to address her "this is what we signed up for" comment, but I left it alone. However, I'll address it here. When I was hired for this job, HR boasted about our "fantastic" 8:30 - 5pm work schedule. That includes lunch and boils down to a 7.5 hour day. Now, I'm not against working the occasional OT. But keep in mind, all OT I work is not paid for. Also, keep in mind, I do not make a bunch of money. I make around $47k/yr with a bonus that puts me around $50k +/-. With all the ridiculous OT I'm expected to put in, my real salary is probably somewhere around $25k/yr.

Anyway, I just wanted to express how ludicrous some employers are with regards to the amount of time they expect their employees to work. I don't care what anybody says. If/when a company lures you into their position with a false claim about the schedule you'll be working, and then tells you down the road that the expectation is that you'll work whatever ridiculous hours they want you to work at no additional cost to them, that is slimy and pathetic.

Needless to say, I'm looking for a new job. I'm still pretty perturbed that this is considered a valid and just way of conducting business.
Glad you vented! Sometimes we all get fed up with what happens to us and the changes "forced" upon us. Sometimes it's just not enough to tell your family or friends, you need to know strangers opinions too.

Yes, be grateful that you have a job and can pay your bills.

But what about work/life balance? It sounds like it's rapidly diminishing in your life.

The company changed your payment structure and gave you the % pay increase because the intention (without them openly communicating to employees) was to work you more hours and not have to pay you over time. The company is coming out on top that's for sure.

Of course you will be looking for a different job because you no longer like where you are working and no longer trust your employer.

Good luck as I am sure you will find a different job that will satisfy your work/life balance. Because the end result is you need to wake up feeling refreshed each day and you need to go to sleep each night feeling satisfied with your life.

Last edited by back2M; 04-02-2013 at 02:35 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 04-02-2013, 09:09 AM

23,511 posts, read 23,980,674 times
I would start looking for a new job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment