Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2013, 10:10 AM

35,054 posts, read 31,258,424 times

Advertisements

Not to be rude, but eight years have gone by since you turned 18 and you have nothing to show for it except a generic degree that is all but useless. Why would an employer take a chance on you, a completely unknown quantity that looks negative by virtue of your lack of experience, over an experienced candidate? They won't. At the best, you will have to start at the absolute bottom of the job market and work you're way up.

At worst, you're doomed. Because you didn't follow the standard path and are now older with no experienced, you're probably locked out of the job market. I'm not saying things should be like this, but that's the way it is.

Last edited by Serious Conversation; 04-02-2013 at 10:51 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2013, 10:23 AM

4,677 posts, read 5,764,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmims View Post
I have thought about being an academic librarian but applying to grad school and getting through it seems to daunting of a task. Also the job market for librarians is not very good and I think it might be a shrinking profession.
Librarians are actually an expanding field at the moment, especially in academia, because library science has jumped into the area of digital data curation. At a GIS conference I attended recently, the keynote was the new head of libraries at Washington University in St Louis, who spoke on the rapid expansion in library sciences he just led at McMaster and had underway at WUSTL.

Old 04-02-2013, 10:35 AM

567 posts, read 1,012,070 times
Liberal arts degree and no work experience at 26 years old?

It's not too late for the military.

Old 04-02-2013, 11:32 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,118,032 times
What has your experience been with any of the on-campus recruiting/job fairs? When I was in school, I found those amazingly useful in terms of finding out their hiring requirements and feedback on my resume.

Old 04-02-2013, 11:52 AM

1,782 posts, read 3,940,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pentatonic View Post
Liberal arts degree and no work experience at 26 years old?

It's not too late for the military.
Not commissioned.

Enlisted, maybe if they don't need a waiver.

And 26 is too late for the Air Force and Coast Guard (the current wait list for boot camp is so long it would put them over the 27 yr age limit).

Old 04-02-2013, 12:11 PM

64 posts, read 134,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
Not to be rude, but eight years have gone by since you turned 18 and you have nothing to show for it except a generic degree that is all but useless. Why would an employer take a chance on you, a completely unknown quantity that looks negative by virtue of your lack of experience, over an experienced candidate? They won't. At the best, you will have to start at the absolute bottom of the job market and work you're way up.

At worst, you're doomed. Because you didn't follow the standard path and are now older with no experienced, you're probably locked out of the job market. I'm not saying things should be like this, but that's the way it is.
I wouldn't say its as hopeless as you put it. But you most likely might have to start at minimum wage and try to work you're way up. Probably have to live with 4 roommates, maybe share a bedroom with a random person just so you have somewhere to sleep/eat. Considering you have no job experience at all. Alternative as I suggested try to launch your own company providing a service to people.

Old 04-02-2013, 12:21 PM

1,782 posts, read 3,940,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenicepartsoflife View Post
I wouldn't say its as hopeless as you put it. But you most likely might have to start at minimum wage and try to work you're way up. Probably have to live with 4 roommates, maybe share a bedroom with a random person just so you have somewhere to sleep/eat. Considering you have no job experience at all. Alternative as I suggested try to launch your own company providing a service to people.
Minimum wage jobs tend to be very interested in work history, since there are no other qualifications to sell yourself other than having a history of being a reliable employee.

OP is probably going to have to get a skill from a vocational training program and get a job based on their skill rather than their resume.

Old 04-02-2013, 12:26 PM

3,111 posts, read 8,052,382 times
Well, I'm sure you now regret never working, as well as majoring in a field that has no specific job market.

No need to kick a man when he is down.

So, here i what I would do:

1. Begin volunteering ASAP anywhere, Preferably something regular, like twice a week tutoring ESL, or something administrative.

2. Look at all internships before graduating. There still might be some available to you shortly after you graduate.

3. Think about a full-time volunteer position with AmeriCorps, building houses or something.

4. Ask professors if they need any help scanning documents or researching a project.

5. Think about cutting grass, yard work, etc.

6. Apply for commission only sales jobs.

Old 04-02-2013, 01:01 PM

3,763 posts, read 12,543,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marigolds6 View Post
Librarians are actually an expanding field at the moment, especially in academia, because library science has jumped into the area of digital data curation. At a GIS conference I attended recently, the keynote was the new head of libraries at Washington University in St Louis, who spoke on the rapid expansion in library sciences he just led at McMaster and had underway at WUSTL.
I agree that librarian can be a competitive field - but the OP didn't study library science -- they just got a basic liberal arts degree (unless I read incorrectly)..

There actually is a field of library sciences, and most of the librarians I know actually got degrees within that field. Its not just a fall back for "liberal arts grad who doesn't know what to do".

Old 04-02-2013, 01:09 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,894,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmims View Post
I will be graduating from college soon and I'm scared to death because I don't if I will ever get a job.
I'm a Liberal Arts major and I have no work experience. What I want to know now is how should I go about looking for a job. A skill that I have is research (I was told by a teacher in high school that I was good at finding information and should consider a job doing that) What worries me is that I'm 26 and have absolutely no work experience I only have a bachelors degree. I've read so many news stories about college grads working at Starbucks and that are unemployed that. I have become depressed about what's going to happen to me. If anyone can give me advice on what I can do to help me I would appriciate it. Thank you.

Go to North Dakota and make 6 figures digging for oil and gas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment