Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2013, 08:34 PM

212 posts, read 1,003,420 times

Advertisements

I have a morning interview coming up and need to think of an excuse as to why I'll be an hour and a half late. I've already used the "doctor's appointment" excuse a few weeks ago for a different interview.

Note, I live in a city so I can't use traffic/car problems as an excuse, nor can I use subway delays as this can be checked. I also have no pets or children to use to my benefit.

Name some of your legit excuses (funny ones appreciated too!).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2013, 08:50 PM

4,400 posts, read 13,390,696 times
There are no legit excuses, as an excuse implies a lie. You would like us to help you lie to your employer. Nope.

Reasons are legit. And you don't need help coming up with a reason, as it is what actually happened. In your case, it is that you were late because you were at an interview.

Old 04-02-2013, 08:57 PM

112 posts, read 292,663 times
1. Food Poisoning -
2. Neighbor's dog ran away

Why don't you tell your employer that you have a family emergency and ask to work a later shift or makeup the hours during the week?

Old 04-02-2013, 08:58 PM

6,985 posts, read 7,040,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebunny View Post
There are no legit excuses, as an excuse implies a lie. You would like us to help you lie to your employer. Nope.

Reasons are legit. And you don't need help coming up with a reason, as it is what actually happened. In your case, it is that you were late because you were at an interview.
Obviously the OP can't tell his/her boss that he's going to an interview! Like it or not, the OP has to come up with a lie.

Old 04-02-2013, 09:09 PM

2,421 posts, read 4,316,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_contrary View Post
I have a morning interview coming up and need to think of an excuse as to why I'll be an hour and a half late. I've already used the "doctor's appointment" excuse a few weeks ago for a different interview.

Note, I live in a city so I can't use traffic/car problems as an excuse, nor can I use subway delays as this can be checked. I also have no pets or children to use to my benefit.

Name some of your legit excuses (funny ones appreciated too!).
Just say something personal came up that you had to take care of. Because you say it's personal they probably won't ask what it was and you aren't exactly lying either.

The problem I see with lying is that then if people ask you have to tell a story.

Just say something personal came up in the morning and nobody will bother you.

Old 04-02-2013, 09:12 PM

4,400 posts, read 13,390,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsguy2001 View Post
Obviously the OP can't tell his/her boss that he's going to an interview! Like it or not, the OP has to come up with a lie.
Or not schedule an interview that conflicts with work hours.

Old 04-02-2013, 09:22 PM

3,111 posts, read 8,052,382 times
I was late because I was drinking coffee, and thinking about how much I hate going into work everyday. My boss sucks, my coworkers are lazy, and I sometimes have nightmares of going into work.

Nooo, that was in my head.

I was late because I had a flat tire.

Old 04-02-2013, 09:24 PM

2,845 posts, read 6,010,863 times
I agree flat tire or car battery died, tell them you had to walk it over to an Autozone and have them charge it then walk it back. Autozone charges for free- so it's not like you'd get a receipt.

Old 04-02-2013, 09:26 PM

977 posts, read 1,814,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebunny View Post
Or not schedule an interview that conflicts with work hours.
Maybe he had no choice? Almost all interviews will conflict with work hours if you work regular hours. You pretty much have to take a vacation day or sick day to interview. Why are you always against the employee's side, geez man.

OP, just say you were riding your bike into work, but got a flat tire and had to walk it back b/c it was too crowded for your bike to fit on the train. In my city, you actually can't take bikes on the train during rush hour so if your city is like that, perfect! Also works well with the weather getting warmer too. This excuse is a winner, trust me

Old 04-02-2013, 09:27 PM

977 posts, read 1,814,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beera View Post
I agree flat tire or car battery died, tell them you had to walk it over to an Autozone and have them charge it then walk it back. Autozone charges for free- so it's not like you'd get a receipt.
Guys, OP said he can't use any car excuse due to being in the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment