Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2013, 08:06 AM

424 posts, read 973,918 times

Advertisements

I need some advice with an internship I feel is dragging out with barely any upward growth.

Due to the economy being so bad and competitive in New York last year I took an internship last year a small office with the hopes it would turn into a salaried, real position with the hopes and I would be able to grow within the position. Now a year and three months later I’m not only able to live on that in New York, but the position is now feeling like a dead end position (social media for those wondering) and I can sense the opportunity cost as months go by.

I’m actively job hunting as a backup and am even getting some interviews finally for better paying real jobs but I’m beginning to worry that interviewers will wonder why I stayed at a low wage position for so long. This also can make me look like a pushover who doesn’t mind being taken advantage of. I have 2 or 3 other responsibilities in addition to social media duty.

I’m wondering if instead of job hunting and running the risk of a potential employer call my boss when they check references I’m just thinking about approaching him for a raise or a proposal of turning this into an actual job. When he extended my internship about 8 months ago I was told I was an “asset” to the company but from what I see I’m not being compensated or really treated like a salaried employee. I’m just kind of there with the other interns even though I do produce measurable results in terms of marketing every month for the company. The work I’m doing many companies pay an entry level salary of $30,000-$45,000 per year in NYC…

I almost get the sense that my employer expects me to get a part time weekend job or night jog and lean heavily on my parents to make ends meet. Or worse just be grateful I have any job at all in this economy (I am but if you're behind on bills than it becomes a bit of a cruel joke). Would that be expected of any other 27 year old professional? Or older office workers for that matter… Other previous interns I think tried to do the same and were unsuccessful and left in frustration. I’m worried if I ask for too much (asking for a wage you can pay rent and bills on is not asking too much) HR will suddenly “discover ”they can’t keep me on due to some state labor law about the maximum length of internships or I might be pushed out… Many of their previous and current interns are forgieners who have H1 visas they can leagally work in the United States so they are limited to a set amount of time but for American interns it seems up in the air...
I’m wrestling with the ethics of it all if they can actually afford to create positions but don’t want to.

Should I go to my boss with my request? If so how should I approach him? Should I disclose I’m job hunting if they can’t “afford” to have another salaried employee?

Thanks for your input

Last edited by ehanson; 04-04-2013 at 08:15 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment