Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How did you get your present (or last) job?
Recruited 10 16.95%
Answered ad 23 38.98%
Walked in, wrote or phoned cold 5 8.47%
Networking, nepotism or acquaintance 8 13.56%
Placed by agency 3 5.08%
Self-created or self-employed 3 5.08%
Other (explain) 7 11.86%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2013, 08:58 PM

340 posts, read 913,664 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyDude75 View Post
Doesn't look like a lot of people on this thread a found a job through networking-lol

You know networking is the popular advice to get a job but it appears everyone just applied to a posted job.
I think a lot of it has to do with the quantity of jobs you can network for vs the ones posted on the internet. Another part I think has to do with people not wanting to stick out their neck for people in a down economy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2013, 09:39 PM

29,802 posts, read 24,880,628 times
Got laid off in Michigan. Was sick of the constant up and down rhythm of most companies in the state. Decided it was time to find some place else to make a living. Did some job searching while I was working a part time job I had previously and started sending resumes out to surrounding states. Caught quite a few bites in the Chicagoland area, so I took a train out on my off day. Interviewed at 3 places. When I returned home, I got a call just as I walked in the door. I took the first job offer I was given.

After moving and working there for a short period of time, I received an offer from one of the other companies I originally interviewed at. I explained the situation, told them I was happily employed, but I would give them a call if I was in need of a job. Well, after a year of working at the first company, I was getting rather bored. Decided to give the other company a call on my lunch break. The owner immediately told me he wanted to hire me if I was available and threw out a wage. I said "what the heck" and turned in my 2 week notice after I hung up the phone.

Been working here for a year now and I think this has been the most enjoyable job to date. The money is decent, the bennies are top notch, I have much more freedom during the day and better work/life balance. Wish I would have taken the job a year ago when I had an earlier opportunity.

As to how I found the company... I believe I did a google search of related employers in the area I was planning to move to, and gave them a call. This actually works well I have found. Many smaller companies have a hard time advertising their job openings and finding the required worker for the positions they are trying to fill.

Old 04-05-2013, 10:36 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
My last job, maybe I was just lucky, but it was perfect. I wrote a 3-line letter to a hiring director, briefly outlining my experience and qualifications, and said "I will contact your secretary next week to make an appointment to see you, and bring along supporting materials." I called, I got the appointment, I saw the manager, and two days later he phoned with a job offer. One of the best jobs I've ever had.

Old 04-06-2013, 07:01 AM

7,058 posts, read 9,074,602 times
I went for what was supposed to be a one day temp labor gig...and never left. Even though nobody told me to come back again, I showed up the next day, punched in and went to work. When they didn't tell me *not* to come back again, I just kept showing up and going to work.

I took charge of the area in which I was working, drove the slackers out and doubled production. Eight months later I moved to another area, improved operations and took on more responsibilities...a few months after that they actually put me on the company payroll, and then, a little later, I was recognized as the lead in the department.

I survived a massive lay-off (due to a contract change) and moved into an official management position and nearly 5 years later, I'm still there.

Old 04-06-2013, 09:39 PM

30,251 posts, read 23,719,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
How did you get your present job?
Job Fair. I would never have guessed in a thousand years that I would have this job. It's not something I would have looked in to but there they were, at the Job Fair...that I had gone to for another job, that I also got...so I said, "What the hell, let's see what it's all about."

Old 04-06-2013, 09:51 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,992,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Job Fair. I would never have guessed in a thousand years that I would have this job. It's not something I would have looked in to but there they were, at the Job Fair...that I had gone to for another job, that I also got...so I said, "What the hell, let's see what it's all about."

That is shocking.

Old 04-07-2013, 09:19 AM

74 posts, read 170,937 times
I am in nonprofit development, so I thought for sure it would be through networking. I was at my last job for 11.5 years and had quite a network in that sector. But it was the regular old fashioned way. Saw an ad that intrigued me, quickly put together a resume (since I didn't have one prepared), applied, and voila. It almost never goes down this way in my particular field, but things just kind of came together. I'm a happy camper.

Old 04-07-2013, 09:37 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,038,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyDude75 View Post
Doesn't look like a lot of people on this thread a found a job through networking-lol

You know networking is the popular advice to get a job but it appears everyone just applied to a posted job.
Networking did help me in actually landing the job, after I applied online to an open position. As my current employer was doing my background check, they stumbled across somebody we both knew in common. Even though that person was not one of my listed references, she was called and gave me a very enthusiastic recommendation.

Old 04-07-2013, 09:50 AM

832 posts, read 1,417,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
How did you get your present job?
Industry specific online add combined with roundabout networking.

My resume experience got me on the radar. Where I was born made them smile because some of the people on top were from that area as well.

And then the third part was the information given before I was interviewed. My supervisor had a chit chat with them before they even set up an interview. Not legal strictly speaking as employers can only discuss currently employed and I did not list him as a reference. But my supervisor had a genuine conversation with them about me. He informed me about their unofficial inquiry and advised me to prepare for an interview.

Looking back, the fact that I did not list him as a reference sort of caused them to inquire to determine if I didn't list him because I was trying to hide something. The truth was that I wasn't really expecting to get an interview and it didn't occur to me to ask him.

Old 04-07-2013, 10:37 AM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,992,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
Networking did help me in actually landing the job, after I applied online to an open position. As my current employer was doing my background check, they stumbled across somebody we both knew in common. Even though that person was not one of my listed references, she was called and gave me a very enthusiastic recommendation.

Not a 100% sure but I think once the interviewer found out I knew one of her friends that may have lead to be being hired. But I didn't need a connection to get the interview but looks like I did need one to get hired.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment