Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2013, 05:17 PM

21,863 posts, read 25,129,659 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by YAZ View Post
True.

And sometimes we have to re-evaluate our priorities. E.g., does that brand new Jaguar make me happier than the Nissan Sentra?
Yes! But maybe not enough to work a job I hate versus one I love to pay for it...

Very different than "Does a car that runs reliably that won't leave me/spouse stranded with our children at every opportunity." Err wait, you said Jaguar?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2013, 05:34 PM

29,815 posts, read 24,898,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I've never been unemployed -- no matter what, I've always managed to keep on working because like you, I don't look down on any job, I think you can also learn while doing a job that you know you won't stay in for too long. Even if you just see how it is for someone in that kind of job and you can make just about any job into a challenge and strive to make the best of it.

I think being employed helps a lot more because you don't end up with a big blank hole on your resume or job application. You are still in the working world and it doesn't prevent you from looking for a job more suited to you.
Yup. Unless you plan on creating your own job, there is only so much work that needs to be done in this world. Beggars can't be choosers.

I would really like someone to define what "underemployment" really is. Is it part time instead of full time? A job that doesn't utilize the full range of one's potential? I suspect more times than not, people just feel underpaid relative to what they feel they should be earning. There are jobs that people look down upon, or jobs that most folks wouldn't want to do. Many of those jobs pay pretty decent because of it. If one is going to look at it from a purely financial point of view, could someone in a job like that with a wider range of skills be called underemployed, even if the income is adequate? I would take a job like that in a heartbeat if I had to, even though it's well below what I'm used to, and I certainly wouldn't refer to myself as being underemployed in such a situation. A job is a job.

Old 04-06-2013, 05:48 PM

805 posts, read 1,161,356 times
there may be more underemployed than unemployed but the unemployed are in a worse situation. Especially those who do not receive unemployment, and, as a result, have no means of financial support.

Old 04-06-2013, 06:35 PM

380 posts, read 1,155,910 times
I have been underemployed in the past. My definition of underemployed is not making enough money to pay for my living expenses when my previous job easily paid for my living expenses and allowed me to have a nice savings including retirement savings. I don't think the term underemployed is meant to belittle any type of job. It's a just a descriptor which means that you aren't making the money that you are used to and most likely you don't get the same job perks and benefits you may have been accustomed to, at least, that's what it means to me. At any rate, it's very possible that many people have settled for less pay just to have some money coming in even if it's not enough to pay for all of your living expenses.

Old 04-06-2013, 07:55 PM

29,815 posts, read 24,898,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knt1229 View Post
I have been underemployed in the past. My definition of underemployed is not making enough money to pay for my living expenses when my previous job easily paid for my living expenses and allowed me to have a nice savings including retirement savings. I don't think the term underemployed is meant to belittle any type of job. It's a just a descriptor which means that you aren't making the money that you are used to and most likely you don't get the same job perks and benefits you may have been accustomed to, at least, that's what it means to me.
Average family incomes in America have dropped 4K in the past 5 years. Essentially, America as a whole is becoming underemployed. It's going to be a rough ride for the majority I'm afraid. A lot of folks are going to be seeing wages/salaries/benefits and work/life balance continue to deteriorate as businesses continues to search for a competitive edge. That competitive edge is a moving target these days. As fewer folks have money to spend, and as more consumers tighten their belts in response to a pitiful labor market situation, competition will be fierce. Businesses will do everything possible to attract the dwindling supply of potential customers, and one common strategy will involve reducing or limiting compensation in all forms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knt1229 View Post
At any rate, it's very possible that many people have settled for less pay just to have some money coming in even if it's not enough to pay for all of your living expenses.
I believe this is often the case, and it drags down the payscale for others competing for the same type of work. In many cases, the businesses are also reducing their prices to keep some money coming in. It's kind of a downward spiral. Company sees reduced demand, so in response, they lower their rates to increase their volume of sales. When things get tough because money isn't flowing in like before, they try to fetch a bargain on the labor front. Many will lay off their older, established workers, replacing them with cheaper new hires. In a down market, this is a very tempting option. The company paid full price for their labor when they hired them +5 years ago, but in today's market, that same unit of labor is selling for quite a discount.

Of course, this sort of behavior effects everyone. If one business starts stealing all the sales, the next business must respond if they want to survive. So, the processes happens all over again, just at a different company. And when all these workers start getting dumped into the unemployment line in the same time frame, competition for jobs only gets worse. Pretty soon, everyone is looking to sell themselves for a discount just to keep some money coming in.

Old 04-06-2013, 08:47 PM

7,492 posts, read 11,826,650 times
If you're careful, one can make a living on underemployment but not unemployment.

Old 04-06-2013, 08:54 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,006,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osito View Post
If you're careful, one can make a living on underemployment but not unemployment.

You mean a CRAPPY living

Old 04-06-2013, 08:54 PM

6,985 posts, read 7,045,370 times
I think most of us are underemployed, since very few jobs make full use of someone's skills until they are in a very high position. In most jobs, you are just doing what you are told to do by someone who is in a higher position.

Old 04-06-2013, 08:59 PM

1,148 posts, read 1,682,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osito View Post
True, but some of us are so severely underemployed that it isn't possible to make ends meet. However, if I could even find a job that pays $13 an hour, I could make it. $13 an hour is still less than what I used to make, but I am actually pretty frugal and watch every penny, so I could live quite well on $13 an hour. I can't survive off minimum wage which is what I make now. Plus, taxes are about to kill me. I usually do pay taxes because I am single and have no children.

Old 04-06-2013, 09:11 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,477,758 times
I would agree. I haven't yet accepted that in a worst case scenario I will make the same or maybe less than my UI that just ran out about $13 HR. I will be bitter if I have to work for that. I can see how people be completely demotivated working for $10 an hour not having a money to save and just slaving and grinding every day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment